New NESes, ideas, development, etc

Yeah, the rules will have to be set up, and will be handled after stats and work with them has been sorted out.

Hey, Tycho, just let me know if you need any help. I'm going onto #NES right now if you want to talk with me.

mine is thomasberubeg

Add me?

Will do so here shortly.

Hey, Tycho, just let me know if you need any help. I'm going onto #NES right now if you want to talk with me.

I had some trouble getting IRC to work with me, due to not knowing how to utilize it (AIM is literally the only thing I have ever used for chat programs for the most part). I'll see if IRC will work again, and hopefully it will.

Years ago, my brother and I made a homemade card game based on simplified Magic: The Gathering, but set in the modern day, and with regular military forces. What if this was made into a NESLite?

----------------------------------------------------------------------

LP is your LifePoints. If you lose all your LP, you are defeated. Think of it mainly as worker and scientist population. It will randomly grow over time, but this is rather slow.

LP is usually to be found in Territories. These are locations that hold unlimited units and LP, and up to three Buildings. Territories have unique properties that affect combat, unique unit possibilities, unique resources, and different rates of LP growth.

All land Territories can be colonised using existing LP, simply by moving it from an existing location. Up to 5LP can be moved from each of your territories per turn. Different factions can share LP at a single location.

Territories produce Production Points (PPs) depending on the amount of LP placed there. The default trigger points are at 5LP, 10LP, 20LP and up to 40LP. That is, declining returns for LP. Thus, you can get more PP out of your LP by spreading it out, but you then have to defend all of those territories. LP concentrated in a single location can benefit from a single stack of defences.

Factions will always have a minimum of 1PP, provided they have some LP some place on the map.

LP can be destroyed through combat and bombardment. It can also be captured as a result of attacks.

Meanwhile, PP is actually used to make stuff, although you don't have total control – think of it more as the number of 'cards' you are drawing per turn...

Light, Medium, Transport or Heavy units can be requested in the following categories:
Infantry
Artillery
Ground Vehicles
Naval (requires adjacent sea/swamp/lake)
Aircraft

The actual units you get will be semi-random (you can request a preference) and will be a mix of standard mass-produced units, special one-off units, and also perhaps units specific to individual territories.

Each PP can spawn 2 light or 1 Medium units. You will need to invest 2PP to get a Transport or Heavy unit.

2PP can also be invested in a research roll, for special research in the following catergories:

Misc Tech
Info War
Space Colonisation
Robotics
WMD
Paranormal
UFOs
Inter-Dimensional

Research can result in special units, special abilities, special events and special buildings. The results will increase the more PP is invested.

2PP can also be invested in Territory-specific Buildings:

Defences will add to combat rolls for all defending units.
Infrastructure can have many numerous benefits spanning PPs, LP growth, and combat bonuses.

There is a max of three Buildings per territory, which can be any mix of Defences, Research-Related buildings, and Infrastructure. Buildings can be torn down to make way for new ones, but there is no compensation.

2PP can also be invested in manual LP increase. The returns are random, either 0 or 1 LP gained per 2PP. This is generally inefficient, but there is less chance of failure if you are repairing damage from combat or bombardment.

PP can be given to, and demanded from, other factions as tribute.

Bonus PP can be awarded for controlling bonus resources, depending on market conditions.

Your PP can generally be gathered and spent globally across your Territories, but any Territories that become isolated will be forced to spend their PP locally.

So I've got a little free time lately and I've been writing about this group of humans that have fantastic power but have no realization of how irrelevant they are in the grand scheme of things in their world. I'm looking for a handful of players that want to write together to develop the future of these races and the poor humes (as the humans are called.) If anyone is interested in such a thing, let me know. Or even constructive feedback on this fantasy is welcomed. :)

Spoiler Human History in a nutshell :
The wizened old crone sat atop the seat of honor near the village's common fire. She had wandered into the hamlet a day ago, dressed in the way of the nomads, portended great changes, and began teaching,

"Hundreds of generations ago, we Humes settled here on this island, and that distant arrival is as far back as our legend knows. Since then, we've hunted, gathered, settled a relatively welcoming environment, and farmed our way into a comfortable niche. This world that we know is a strange one, and we are certainly not suited to deal with the monstrosities that lurk outside of our sheltered valley, but I have the old knowledge to share, the tool of wise men to tame a wild world."

The men and stronger women of the village had left for a hunt, intending to supplement their diet with the meat of a large reptilian herbivore that grazed along the southern edge of the Centarius forest north of the valley. They had been gone for three or four days now and had entirely missed the early lessons of the crone. She had passed along not only the early histories, but an art that the crone called the magic, or the manipulation. The hunters returned with a carcass to a village of highly capable illusionists and tricksters, women and children enlightened by the old way of the crone.
She tried to teach them, but the hunters saw the knowledge as an abomination and a disturbance of their peaceful existence. The elder men and women, leaders of the distinctive families of the village, soon were blaming one another, and a brawl ensued. All of the adults present knew that the crone had caused this, and saw the fighting as her fault as well. The brawling mass of humanity took to the fields, with the crone and her students in tow. She stood between the fighting factions and tried to reason with them, tried to explain the righteousness of knowledge, but her argument fell on deaf ears. The fighting escalated further, and the crone could see that her knowledge, and its great power, had corrupted the imperfect humes. They were convinced by some darker aspect of the knowledge that the other families of the vilage were responsible for the corruption, and paid her no mind. They were nearing the limit where they would be willing to undo their fellow humes.
As the first rock was thrown, and the first crude arrow was taking flight over the field to find the belly of a not-so-distant cousin, the crone threw up an arm, palm
open and upraised to the overcast sky. Every man became lame, the thrown punch fell softly, and the flying arrow disintegrated to powerless dust. The crone disrobed and
knelt in the field, where she prayed to her Principality. The disabled men in the field gazed at her helplessly as the minutes passed, and before long she stood again. She
stood straight and displayed her true form. She was no longer the crone, but a creature of great light and darkness, robed in fire and shimmering like lakewater at
sunset. She smote the ground with her foot and drew the three family heads toward her and uttered her shamed them for abusing the sacred knowledge.
In order to impose order on the chaos she had created, she felt compelled to destroy them and their families to contain the power of the knowledge. In her naivete she had thought that the humans would be able to wield the power, but she now saw with perfect sight that they would be corrupt if she allowed them to live. She circumscribed the field with great light and began the immolation of the humans. As the flames began to lick upon the heels of the outermost brawler, a milky darkness bled through the ring and slunk its way toward the former-crone. She noticed the tainted dark creeping toward her entirely too late, and was soon consumed by the shadow. Her ring of light dissolved and her attacker was revealed. The women and children of the village had used the knowledge against her to preserve their families. As the crone-turned-demigod sunk into the darkness, fighting with sacred flame the entire way, she cast her power to the people she had enlightened, for the darkness they had unleashed would be their undoing if they had no defense. The same people that had caused her demise would have to balance their knowledge of the dark with their dark inclinations, and they could only do it with her help. She could only hope that the dark predilections consuming these people could be balanced by her small portion of the divine.
The generation that knew the crone was a blighted one, it produced few offspring and soon withered from the surface of the world. The hume race shrank considerably, and the houses of the village held their old grudges, though to a degree less severe than the hate from the previous generation. They huddled away from one another and tried to find their own way, tried to master the power that had been gifted them.

The greater families living in the valley south of the Centarius forest and north of the mountains, west of Undrir are listed below, according to their wealth and number. There are lesser families as well, though their numbers are few and their future is uncertain.

Spoiler The Humes of the valley :
All-red
income- 6 barrels of seed oil, surplus of 4 mansworth of grain, ample water
number-44, three living generations
property-nearest the forest, numerous animals and access to trade out of the valley
notables-the All-reds can compel the beasts of the air and the beasts of the field and forest

Brig-end
income-3 barrels of seed oil, surplus of one mansworth of grain, usually ample water
number- 60, four living generations
property-south of the All-reds, few animals but fertile fields and capable farmers
notables-The Brig-ends have the Withering, a blight they can cast upon any beast or object that initiates a fatal deterioration

Fehr
income-2 barrels of seed oil, deficit of 1 mansworth of grain, ample water
number-30
property-south of the All-reds, east of the Brig-ends, near the swampy eastern end of the valley
notables-The Fehr have the power of disintegration, an irreversible breakdown of any beast or object that they will to end.

Drain
income-unknown
number-unknown
property- the swampy eastern end of the valley
notables- The Drain family is concealed from the outside world by a thick, unmoving fog that only they can navigate. They are generally hostile to intruders and have lately been expanding out of the swamp. The lands they claim are soon also taken by the fog.

Kreg
income- 1 barrel of oil, surplus of 1 mansworth of sprouts, 1 mansworth of grain, ample water
number- 30-50
property- southern mountain slope of the valley
notables- The Kreg are men and women that can take the shape of any animal smaller than themselves. They are fond of taking the form of birds.

Outside of the valley of the humes, greater races and powers have been at work for eons.

The principalities that created the canvas of this world each designed a race to carry out their will. These principalities are Ashok, Lenon, Mantel, Libear, and Vay. Ashok is the aspect of death, the bringer of order and the end of all natural cycles. Ashok is celebrated by the rational races of the world for ending suffering, displaying mercy, and beginning new cycles of life. Lenon is the aspect of life, healing, and plenty. Lenon is celebrated, for obvious reasons, by all beings that can comprehend it. Mantel is the aspect of the physical in this world. Mantel is the earth mover, origin of orogenies, sea filler and flood-ender. Mantel is less celebrated, but its power is respected and actively researched by many races. Libear is the aspect of time, the chronicler of events and is unknown to most races of the world. Vay is the aspect of the mind and is known by all sentient races. Vay is not only an aspect, but an entire plane of existence. Many races have succeeded in reaching Vay, who is celebrated as enlightenment and prowess of the psyche. The races that embody the principalities are known as the Steward races and are as follows, by number.

Spoiler The Steward Races :
The Lords and Maidens of Ashok are the greatest in number. They are the only mortal Steward race, but also reproduce more actively than the other Steward races. Ashokians are slight, nimble assistants to the death aspect. They are only half the height of a man, but are a beautiful and respected people. They number in the hundreds.

The Libear Covey is next greatest in number, the Chroniclers live beneath the mountains very near the hume valley and actively explore the avenues of time. They have contact with no mortal race. Their power over the aspect of Time enables them to see the future, but their viewing of the future is limited by the investment of time they must make to view. The longer a span of time the Chronicler wishes to view, they must be in stasis to view it. They resemble birds when they walk, and their faces are equine. They number near five dozen.

The People of Vay are of several races now, but the original race is still active on the world. They live either among the mental acolytes of Vay or in the dune sea of the northern desert. They have a poorly defined physical form, generally humanoid but often quadripedal. They number near forty.

The Lenon Healers live in Centarius and the southern forests. They have vibrant, green scales covering their skin. They lack hair, but display brightly colored throat patches when desiring to mate. They are seen as god-like figures by lesser races because of their willingness and desire to heal. They raise the dead and end disease wherever they go, and are strict pacifists. They are the only perfect immortals of the Steward races. Their number is uncertain, but less than twenty.

The Brothers of Mantel are massive humanoids that shape the face of the world. Their numbers are the smallest, as only six of them survive. Among lesser races they are the heroes of legends. They have ended floods, quakes, droughts, blizzards, and by ending those hardships, have prevented war and further hardship.

These Steward races are all immortal, with the exception of the Ashokians, who taste both sides of death quite readily, though only the Lenon Healers are truly immortal. They are the wellsprings of life that can be ended by no power short of the principality of Ashok itself, when it sees their cycle needs end.

This NES is primarily story driven, but I have stats on all of the races or families listed here. Many more races exist, as the Steward races did mingle their forms and capabilities. The more distantly removed from the Principality a race becomes, the weaker its influence from that Steward race and aspect.
The families are each playable, the Steward races are all playable, and new-creation races are obviously playable with consent by the Grand Anonymous Principality(me).
Submissions for new races are accepted through private message to me. I will assign statistics. The NES will progress with these stories and potentially the map will develop to indicate the growth or waning of the different powers of the world as things change.

Spoiler MAP :

Could not get onto IRC last night, Arrow Gamer, but if you are able to get onto AIM, shoot me a message and I'll add you to the group.

Panzerstadt-Aachen
Speed: 24km/h
Mass: 247,000,000
Size: 1.2/.5/.6
Structure: Disc (9)
Population: 36,000
Forces: 5 units (4 militias, 1 Soldiers)
5 Airships
20 Stalkers
Weaponry: 20x 450mm Howitzers, 10x 525mm Howitzers
Engines: Quadruple Combustion Drives (Coal, Oil, Natural Gas, Refined Biomass)
Wheels: 36
Electricity Supply: 1.21 GW (90% to city, 10% to engines)
Food Supply: 7500 (2500 wheat, 2500 meat, 2500 refined biomass)
Water Supply: 10500 (9000 water, 1500 alcohol)
Fuel: 1900 tons coal (2200), 300 oil (1500), 200 natural gas (500)

Some base stats for a potential middle range city. Thoughts and ideas?

Put average expenditures and incomes per turn.

Also, would I need to read ME to aid in this? Because I can get the books out of the library if need be.

Put average expenditures and incomes per turn.

Also, would I need to read ME to aid in this? Because I can get the books out of the library if need be.

Will do, and I would advise you to do so as it will give you an idea of how the cities work and possible rules and stuff that will be in play for the NES. Not to mention that they are a nice series of books, and that it gives you an ability to know what certain terms mean like the Sixty Minute War. :)

@Anonymoose: That NES looks great. I would love to play a Steward race.

@Tycho: I will read the books, and I'm going to make an AIM tomorrow. And I did read the Wikipedia article about the books so I know the background (I didn't read the plot section though, so as to not ruin the books.)

Top Bottom