New NESes, ideas, development, etc

I'm not going to start it for a little while, because there are a helluva lot of fresh starts right now.

KhaNESII: S.P.Q.R is officially and properly running, and its not too late to join if you want. Just show up, create a Senator with a name and a brief personal history, and get politicking!

Fantasy fresh start will be very nice to see, I think.

Additionally, I'm debating on whether or not to try to co-mod the Mortal Engines NES with another person, in order to split workload and decrease chances on the NES dying. Thoughts?

I could do it, because I won't be starting that other for a while.

And I'm going on AIM right now, Tycho

I'm between restarting CFC.com - The MES/NES and creating the PMC NES.

For the PMC NES, I have developed some ideas of how to start the game.

• Newly created PMCs would start with $150,000, 1 General (the player's representation), 2 Lieutenants and 12 Soldiers.
  • Characters have five stats: Assault (AS), Heavy (HV), Sniper (SN), Support (SP) and Health (HP). Health begins at 100, the others get several points for starters. Generals get 4 points (denoting their ability at both using weapons and directing their use for the soldiers), Lieutenants have 2 and Soldiers (if they are characters and not just a number) get 1.
    • If Soldiers only become a number (that is, you only have how many soldiers you have of each class), you get the numbers and the average level for the soldiers.
  • For the PMC to initiate a mission, it requires either the General or a Lieutenant (thus limiting the number of simultaneous missions to how many Lts you have plus one) plus several soldiers.
  • Each soldier has a $2,500 salary, plus extras for increased levels and a little more for danger levels. Lieutenants have a $5,000 salary with the same extras. Generals have a $7,500 salary plus extras.
  • You can get use of several weapons. Initially, they provide small bonuses, but as your soldiers' training and perhaps the researchers' work improve those weapons, the bonuses increase.
  • There is also many vehicles that can be bought and used in travelling and in battle: Car, Truck, Tank, Chopper and Plane.
  • Several missions are available every month. There are two kinds of missions: Timed (available at each turn, because of certain events already taking place at that moment) and Emergency (because they happen all of a sudden, and you have little time to accept them, they pay more but could be riskier).

What is PMC? also, I want the CFC.com again. I'd love to retake my character.

What is PMC? also, I want the CFC.com again. I'd love to retake my character.
Private Military Contractor. It's a mercenary company trained for use in war. In RL, they have become somewhat infamous for their being used in Irak. If you have played Metal Gear Solid 4, most military units you find are PMCs.

As for retaking your character... well, I'm not sure if all of the previous players will be able to do so. Besides, with the new ideas I have planned for, you would have to remake your character.

I just want to use that piece of RP. ;)

As described that's just a weak forum adaptation of XCOM. Also, most of the mechanics make no sense at all for PMCs unless you want to ride Kojima's NANOMACHINES train to weirdsville. They don't use military ranks, their leaders don't go in the field, they don't do individual weapons research (and guns don't work like that), and your salary/pay figures are totally arbitrary and don't reflect reality so there's no point in using numbers that big (rather than XCOM's low mostly double-digit simoleon values).

Milarqui - for the PMC NES, have you considered Jerry Pournelle's Falkenberg's Legion as a possible 'verse? To summarize: Combat is pretty well all planetside, with the various worlds only having the industrial base for about a WWI level of armament. Helicopters are moderately common, but vulnerable to SAM missiles, and tanks and aircraft can be imported from a more highly industrialized at high expense, but even a few are very powerful. Mercenary groups are the norm in warfare, having their own Laws of War and regulation and all that jazz, because the entirety of space is under the nominal authority of Earth's CoDominium, and the CoDominium Fleet holds a monopoly on military spacecraft. The various worlds (and factions thereon) use mercenaries, and there are also CoDominium Marines about (though undermanned).

The various human worlds range across all spectra of environmental pleasantness, and the humans living on each use all kinds of political and societal systems. Plenty of fodder for an imaginative mod. There are no aliens.

For an introduction, with plot summaries to start the imagination running, see here.
For an overview of the universe, see here.

@SymphonyD: the ranks were suggested as a way to characterize the organization of the PMCs, with a leader (the player), a few that are able to do some things like the player, and then the rank-and-file troopers. It does seem quite random. Research would not be done by the generals, but by people working for the PMCs. And, yes, the salaries are quite random, they were what I figured would be a good initial start.

@talonschild: hmm. Well, the fact that there are many worlds means that probably such a NES could have a greater diversity in cultures and such. Though, if military spacecraft is a monopolium of the CoDominium Fleet, I guess that the mercs would move with non-armed spacecraft. Am I right?

Yeah, the excitement is generally assumed to be planetside, with them just hiring out room on some merchant ship while en route. Now, this is not to say that the elite colony worlds (St Ekaterina, which is Russian-ethnic; Meiji, which is Japanese-ethnic; etcetera for America, China, Britain, Germany, Israel, and so on) aren't developing fleets - the CoDominium in-story is descending into chaos and eventually nuclear war. The Fleet is trying to get as many people offworld as they can before that happens, albeit through forced relocation, and eventually nuclear war does come and Earth ceases to be the centre of human civilization. I think the series ends with the Fleet acclaiming someone or other from an American world as Imperator, setting up an Empire of Man, and the mercenaries retiring as farmers on some quiet world or other. So you could gradually have other space-fleets cropping up, but military spaceships would probably be too expensive for private ownership.

I vote for restarting CFC.com. But next year. If it's done this year I won't be able to join. :(

Hi, I'm thinking if starting another NES, because my other one isn't doing to well, and doesn't take much effort to mod. My idea is a fantasy freshstart, with players choosing a race and then making a nation. For races, I have the following ideas (they break the stereotype a bit):

Humans: The humans are finally losing their stranglehold on politics. For the last century, they have dominated the nearby continents through military force and cunning alliances. Most humans have been united under one empire: Illtan. However, a crippling rebellion by the freedom movement Tanda has brought the once-mighty empire to its knees. Now, successor states have sprung up, like plants after a wildfire, filling the empty space. Illtan still remains, but its problems do, too. Corrupt officials and a string if cruel tyrants threatens to erase the legendary kingdom.

Elves: Elves are an... Interesting race. They had their beginnings in the center of the Il-Kragnar desert, and still retain strong ties to the sandy plain. Their nomadic ways, reminiscent of desert living, are a strong part of their racial identity, and they are uncomfortable staying in one place for too long. Elves usually are constantly on the move, transporting their goods to the next location in perpetuity. However, they are beginning to settle down, often in warlike city-states, who survive off raiding and pillaging. The elves are a race geared towards warfare, with their agile bodies and above average strength, most elven societies use this to the best of their abilities.

Dwarves: Dwarves are a forest-loving race, and mostly stick to the woods. Recently, though, they have began to move outwards, and are currently in many areas. The dwarves themselves are very mechanically minded, and often employ simple steam technology in their warfare. They usually live high off the ground, either in treehouses or manmade high-rise structures.

Gnomes: The gnomes are traders, as simple as that. They love money, and will do anything to get their hands on it. Natural bargainers, they also are above average diplomats. Their small stature and frail bodies has led them to avoid warfare, and no major conflict including the gnomes has ever been recorded. The gnomes tend to live in large cities in the coast or on rivers, and often near the mountains.

I am also planning on including magic. I don't know how it wil be handled yet, but it will most definitely include making golems to fight, aiding public works, and using the magic during warfare.

The time period will be about 1700, and there will be a slight steampunk flair (sorry optical, it has to he done.)

Thoughts, suggestions, questions, ideas or critiques?

I miss Orcs :( I like orcs

@Anonymoose: That NES looks great. I would love to play a Steward race.

Duly noted. It may be a while coming, since I just had that rough draft sitting around, but I'll make sure to place updated info in this thread if there'll be anyone to read it haha.

I'm also thinking of doing a steampunk NES different from Optical's. This one would be more focused on steampunk suits and other things. It would be a fresh start on a non-world map.

Dammit, just realized that is OptNES with slightly different tech. Damn you, lack of variety in Steampunk!

Or what about an NES based around Italy in the seventeenth century? Except, maybe I shatter the peninsula even more...

Decisions, decisions...

Edit: or a personal NES that has players be wizards. Except that two personal NESes just died (core and mine).

What about one where players control small, port cities on a coast, and mist explore and colonize a New Continent because their own is running out of resources (it would probably be steampunk).

Thinking about it, that colonization one looks good. Maybe a steampunk fantasy fresh start with that premise? I would have to make lots of islands to "hop" to the New World, and it would definitely be really expensive to colonize.

Thoughts?

Thinking about it, that colonization one looks good. Maybe a steampunk fantasy fresh start with that premise? I would have to make lots of islands to "hop" to the New World, and it would definitely be really expensive to colonize.

Thoughts?

I'd be up for it, you'd have to craft your own map though with it.

Will have a proposed map for the Mortal Engines NES up in thread tonight.

Top Bottom