New NESes, ideas, development, etc

A while back I wrote some basics of what I had in mind.
Didn't get much respons on that, but that didn't hold me back.
I have been slowly working on it. I have one thing to present, the map.
I'm open to suggestions, do note that the players will all be located within the dark green area ;)

Spoiler :

EDIT: WOAH, that's big.... let's see if I can resize that :p

allright, this one is smaller
Spoiler :

It sounds very interesting. Would the goings-on be entirely at the Royal Court, or does the whole country come into play.

I'm also not clear on the importance of the Lord Mayor. Why is this such a cool thing?

In short, I like it. However, it needs a little bit more fleshing out. Are the nobles functionally powerful, or is it a Louis XIV-style spending-all-their-time-at-the-royal-court-to-try-to-curry-favour-with-the-King sort of country? What is the Lord Mayor? Are there Royal Cities, in a HRE-style? How, in short, does the Kingdom work?

The whole kingdom comes into play... actually the whole map comes into play.

The position of Lord Mayor is desirable because it means you "win". This NES is basically for me to gauge whether or not I'm able or not to host one. If I'm up to it this one will be followed by a NES where the Lord Mayor will have actual benefits.
Spoiler for what the series will focus on :
Titels:
1. Birth of the Lord Mayor
2. Rise of the Lord mayor
3. ???
4. Profit (allright, I haven't figured out whether or not there will be a 3 or 4 :p)

Summary; the players have to juggle wealth, culture, honour, gefolgshaft, religion (and other factors) to gain influence with the king. The one with the highest influence with the King will become Lord Mayor.

Wealth is generated by your lands. You get a county at the start which will give you certain benefits. You can increase the value of this county and the income that its generates.

Culture is generated by patronage of artists, RP and skills of your characters. Teach him how to dance, how to play the flute, build a bueatiful building, whatever

Honour is generated by warfare. Kill enemies. that's about it.

gefolgshaft is your retinue. You, as a player, belong to the gelofgshaft of the king but you have your own gefolgshaft, the bigger your retinue the larger the army you can personally field, but the more costs you have.

Religion, The king will be Catholic, but not all the subjects will be. Choose between Catholic, Arianism or Pagan.

Here is a great resource for anyone wanting to design an NES. Has loads of resources for map making, languages, naming, mythology, alternate history, futurism, geography, etc. Basically anything for world building you could want.

http://hiddenway.tripod.com/world/

I have an idea for an NES. Just putting down on paper, because it's been rattling around my head for a while. Anyone is free to take it.

You are a child of the Old Magic. You have trained and perfected your skills, mastering feats no mete mortal could dream of mastering. You shake the world, answering to none but yourself. Your might can topple nations and destroy mountains.

But still it was not enough. A demon, Resteron, has stolen the Book of the Essential, and tampered with time. He turned back the clock, making the world a lush paradise where few even remember the world before. The demons rule the humankind, and seemed unstoppable.

But hope remains, even after sixty years. Two powerful heroes recently toppled Resteron, destroying the Book and robbing him of his power. However, before he fell, Resteron struck them from thee book, robbing the Resistance of their greatest assets. Now the Demon marches in revenge, heading towards the corner if the world the Resistance carved out for themselves. In three weeks, he will arrive, and exact his vengeance.

You and your peers are all that's left, the last spawn of Old Magic since the fall of Sol, the original Resistance, some sixty years ago. You must make a stand, mustering all your power and might to stand against the tide. War is coming, the siege will begin. Will you triumph?

It will of course be a personal NES, and players take control of a powerful hero, who is a master in either combat or Mystics. There will of course be many kinds of Mystics and combat skills to choose from, and you can level up after each mission.

I ll be an Anti Mage ~ Burns the Targets' Mana pool and deals equal damage.
Ultimate : Curse of the Void : Deals damage equal to the amount of mana missing.

/De-cloak

Funny you should mention that...

Mongoose 2300 AD (especially the recent Tools For Frontier Living - that first half of the book is a gold mine) + Mongoose Traveller Spaceports (Actually more generic than the previous entry, which is juuust generic enough) + GURPS Traveller: Far Merchant (probably the best economic RPG supplement). With a little bit of work the supplements can be planed down to genericness, especially incorporating the ridiculous amount of GURPS and Mongoose Traveller supplements I already have.

I wouldn't set it in the Firefly universe (I like exploration, and the possibility of meeting aliens), but there would be the Core (probably, like in 2300AD, one or two planets, mixed with the Alliance from Firefly - this would be entirely mod controlled) and the Frontier, which is just opening up.

OK, making this up as I go along.

There's an Earth-like planet (don't know whether it should be Earth itself - would make things easier, but you'll see why it might not be). The World Government has colonised the planet's Moon, the Mars equivilent and the Asteroid Belt. There's space stations in orbit and at L4 and L5. 'Mars' and the Asteroid Belt are definately Core, but they have some Frontier flavour. The rest of the system has not yet been colonised, but they have been explored.

They have not been colonised because humanity has found a new way to travel the stars - [Some Form Of FTL]. The news has just come back, the first extrasolar colony has been a success. What a way to start the new year.

The players would each play the crew of an independant ship. Now they could do anything they liked. They can trade between colonies, go off exploring (the Core will give you money for finding something), set up their own colony or just a ranch if they have the money, or turn pirate.

The biggest question is the kind of FTL. It needs to consume fuel and I would like to give the players freedom. I'm thinking maybe ships have fuel-consuming jump drives that can't be used too close to a body (as well as reactionless drives, unless we want to calculate deltaV). Jumping into the unknown is a risky business, but could be profitable. Maybe beacons help with navigation - a colony with no beacon is hidden, but damn is it hard to get to if its off the beaten track.

Don't know if I could run this. I'd love to, but I don't know if I have the time. Maybe co-mod. I give someone the maths necessary to run the meat, and I basically run the background, making up new systems and objects as and when they are needed, and playing the Core (or not, I'm not sure).

True. I would hope the constant need to keep the hydrogen tanks full and the Central Bank off your back with mortgage repayments would be enough to begin with.

Actually, the Core could be filled with factions that the free traders could play off of, like in 2300AD. In fact, one could just transplant that setting, but let it be more amiable to traders.

I posted maybe a month ago in this thread on a dynasty based NES taking place at the fall of a Galactic Empire. CK2 in space, in a sense, although with colonization, and some major differences in the rules. Anyways, I'm looking for more people to sign up in the pre-thread. As it will be significantly harder to make your own house from scratch after the game is up, I highly advise anyone interested to check it out.

Just being clear, I would not be running the NES. I was just suggesting an idea for someone who wants to rune a NES.

Two ideas:
- 1: ISOT. Basically, we send the players back in time. There are 3 possibilities:
  • Country sent back in time. The players become people in the government or in the army to lead the defense of the nation or its expansion in the new world. For something like this, check "America's Stepbrother, America's Enemy" in Alternatehistory.com, where the US is transported from December 2012 after choosing Obama for a second term to 1984 (not the year, the book).
  • City sent back in time. The players become leaders of the city and bring it to standard in the brand new world. An example would be 1632
  • People sent back in time. A bit like an RPG.
- Idea 2: For All The Marbles (based on the Alternate History of the same name): you pick several historical figures and put them in a pseudo-fantasy world. The people lead each nation, and your figures' abilities are what push you in one direction or another. You have an already established nation, and it is your figures' task to mold it to your will.

Why not bring Tournament NESes closer to traditional NESing by having the players be armies?

Well, traditional NESes are more than just pure military slugfests. I have come to notice that tournament NESes have a fairly high failure rate... they're often quite solipsistic, with people having little reason to interact with each other except when they're trying to kill one another.

Top Bottom