New NESes, ideas, development, etc

Lord_Iggy said:
their motives were unclear.

Apart from eating things, I seem to recall that their main goal is to block the Warp. The "Great Work" rings a bell?

Also, its not genocide if they're targeting ALL life. That's more of biocide, but what they're really doing is actually just animal-herdery on a huge scale. Cosmic nomad pastoralism. Meh. ;)

Anyhow, Necrons are ofcourse great, but I still like Chaos better (death is overrated anyway). It certainly is a greater menace than the Tyranids; there are a lot of Tyranids, but [DoW Khorne berzerker voice]Chaos... is... INFINITE![/DoW Khorne berzerker voice] :evil: So yes, if it does get off the ground I think I'll play Chaos, seeing as we definitely already have some Imperials around.

I'll post some preliminary stuff tomorrow.

Some races will be unplayable in the game by their very nature. They may be introduced later on e.g. a Tyranid splinter fleet invasion, which may or may not be player controlled. Expect factions that currently have no army list to appear as well (Eldar Exodites, other races, non-imperial humans)

The map will be a significantly smaller section; think a quarter of the 'Tau Empire' section of the map Lord_Iggy posted.

I'll look into a 3D map, I have a friend who has one for a BattleTech campaign he runs, but I'm thinking it'll probably be 2D.

I encourage other people to develop other 40k games as well, as mine will reflect a more realistic view of the world i.e. the upcoming 40k RPG from Black Industries, rather than the 'Marines are everything/everywhere' model of the tabletop game.

Whatever happens, I won't be running it for a few months due to my upcoming teaching practicum, so plenty of time to hash out the details.

@das- True. Playing as Tzeentch would be pretty cool. But I still like the biological nature and simple outlook- consume absolutely everything biological, destroy everything else.

I'll play Necrons :) I read a little about them (only little is really known) and know what their style is (come, attack, win, vanish from the planet, and again) and would love doing that :)

Don't hold your breath for Necrons. At least not at the beginning. They might appear later on though in some capacity. This is going to be a planet based game of conquest, the Necrons don't really suit that.

Dark Eldar players will be dissappointed too. There are more humans on any given planet than there are Dark Eldar in the entire galaxy.

Ordo Malleus, Hereticus, and Xenos players will not be possible. But that's not to say that they won't have an effect in game. Imperial players should definitely watch out for the Inquisition...

On the other hand, Imperial Guard, Ork, and Adeptus Mechanicus fans should find this to be to their liking.

More on this a it develops...

However, surely a warband of Chaos Space Marines will be able to make its way here. ;) Failing that, I'll settle for the Lost and the Damned.

Oh don't worry, Chaos will be a force. The majority will be Lost and the Damned, because well, they are the vast majority of the forces of Chaos. But Marines, Chaos and otherwise, will be present and playable.

I should also clarify: This isn't going to be a game of battles like the tabletop, this will be a game of planet wide campaigns waged by small empires. Marines will be a potent force indeed, but they cannot hold an empire together on there own. Think of Ultramar. It is controlled by the Ultramarines, but there is only so much 1000 marines can do. It is the millions of Guardsmen and PDF soldiers who keep the green tide back and destroy the great hive-fleets.

Anyone know if Blizzard have admitted copying the Tyrannids for the Zerg in Starcraft? Not to mention imperium -> terrans (power armour marines and all), and eldar -> protoss.

BTW, I didn’t mean to be so critical of w40k. In truth I like it quite a lot, what I’ve read of it. Like with many other things, I lean towards the defensive because ive never known people offline who share such interests.

Disenfrancised said:
Oh lord no - a) far to many systems for a NES, how do you mod a technological state fighting a magical kingdom, or a horde of monsters? b) all the states were very isolated from each other so there would be little interaction and mainly spend time fighting local minor threats c) Power discrepency - if Splynncryth's Atlantis picked a fight with a petty north american kingdom, the outcome would be pretty predictable .

Hmm well it could be a modified/balanced world start, with very minimalist, flexible rules :)

Points of input: 3 dimensional space map-based would be coolest.
Good luck getting one to work, since it'll invariably be displayed... as a two-dimensional plane. :p None of us exactly have the capability to write a java applet or some such that can be rotated around at a whim.

Here's one I like.
It's nice, but rather non-functional for NESing. I have already explored the idea previously myself and whatever is used will ultimately be flat and somewhat smallish--if you want a decent looking galaxy background anyway. If you're willing to settle for something more abstract, it works better, bigger.

I don't think playing on an entire Galactic scale for the first game is a terribly good idea though.

Daftpanzer said:
Hmm well it could be a modified/balanced world start, with very minimalist, flexible rules :)
Way, way too arbitrary on the whims of the mod given the power differences and discrepancies between the powers involved, in my opinion.

If it happened I would be a faction of SM. (boring yes, but with seperate factions things get interesting. CIVIL WAR)

Good luck getting one to work, since it'll invariably be displayed... as a two-dimensional plane. :p None of us exactly have the capability to write a java applet or some such that can be rotated around at a whim.

I mean that a section of space could be presented in several perspectives. (1 from front, 1 from side, 1 from top, 2 from different corners of that space)

... and what would be the point of that?

You can't use it for navigation because all the information is disintegrated across various maps. Spatial orientation capabilities vary greatly from person to person so you could count on a significant fraction of the player base being unable to reconcile the different perspectives mentally to form a 3D image, even if only in their mind. It's also a highly inefficient use of space and time as you have to repeat editations to each map, all of which are redundant, and in the process it consumes excessive file space and bandwidth.

It will most likely be a 2D map. Having looked into the idea of a 3D one, it would involve downloading a whole program to run it. More effort than it's worth really.

There will be about 6-10 human empires, 3/4 of whom will be part of the Imperium. Up to 2 of which can be loyal (at least in their opinion) space marine chapters. Most of these empires will be part of the Imperium, but basically autonomous (powerful multi-system governors, the regional AdMech branch, Space Marine Chapters, etc.).

Though they are part of the Imperium, nothing says they have to work together. What's the most common enemy of the Imperium? Orks? No. Chaos? Hell no. Tyranids? Only recently, and also no. It's rogue Imperial governors.

Xenos? Oh yes.

These are the things I have decided on: Tau, Craftworld and Exodite Eldar will all have at least one playable slot. Kroot and Nicassar will be included in with Tau. Beastmen will appear on feral Chaos worlds. There will be plenty of spots for da Orkzez. Though the Tyranids will not be appearing at the outset of the game, there is going to be a planet controlled by a Genestealer Cult. Their impact on the game will influence any future Tyranid involvement.

I might create a second Craftworld Eldar spot if there is enough demand. Other alien species, both GW and new creations, may appear as playable factions. I'm still debating this.

If you're referring to the Ordo Xenos, the three major Ordos will all influence the game in their own ways. You should beware them all, but especially beware the Ordo Hereticus.

Here are a few previews of what I'm working on. So far, I've got 16 pages of stuff, mostly things like army lists rather than rules though, so don't worry about complexity too much.

From the Ork Army List:
Spoiler :
Mob O’ Boyz: Dese are da good ol’ reglar boyz. Dey is da biggest mobs by far, and most a da boyz in dem. Dey likes ta fight, an dey never lose. ‘Course, sometimes dey runs away ‘cause they’s done fer da day and dey wanna live ta try it again later. Dey comes in two types: shooty, and sluggy. Da slugga boyz likes to shoot fings, da shoota boyz likes to hit fings. No.. wait.. I tink it’s da ovver way ‘round. Aw well, you getz da picture!
Cost: $60
Production Requirement: 1

Mob O’ Nobz!: Dese are da big ladz. Dey bin fightin’ fer years an’ years. Y’see, when an Ork gets old, ‘e keeps on growin’ til somefink kills ‘im. Dese boyz been ‘round a long, long time. Dey da bosses, got dat? An’ dey ain’t just nobz neither. Dis is also da old scarboyz, da commandos, and all da other tough boyz yous know about. One day, if yous is strong and tough, maybe you be one o’dem.
Cost: $80
Production Requirement: 1

Speed Freak Kult: Da Kult o’ Speed be real flash gits. Dey likes dere truckz, dey likes dere bikez, an’ dey likes anyfink else dat go fast and make a big ‘boom’ when it hits somefink. It’s a good idea to jump onto one o’ dere truckz if’n ya getz da chance.
Cost: $100
Production Requirement: 2

Because we know everyone is interested in those marines...
Spoiler :
Terminator Honours Company: The greatest of all marines are honoured with the Crux Terminatus. This highest honour allows the Marines to don Tactical Dreadnaught Armour. In most cases, only one company of these hardened veterans will exist. Some Chapters aren’t even lucky enough to form a single company.
Cost: None. Automatically promoted when enough veterans exist.
Upkeep: $100
Production Requirement: None

The Economic System:
Spoiler :
Economy:
Each planet will have an economy ratings. This rating is represented by a number of $s. This is a rough calculation of that planet’s industrial production, trade incomes, taxes, and other economic factors that determine the available resources of the planet. By adding the numbers of your planets together, you will get your GDP. You can tax this GDP as a percentage.

This does not necessarily represent taxes. It could represent corvee labour, government industries, and taxes for the Tau, slave labour and plunder for the Orks, the favour of the ruinous powers for Chaos, and so on.

The higher the percentage, the more money you will gain that year. However, low taxes will result in a bonus to your economic growth.

Economic growth happens as a result of trade treaties, economic spending, and low taxes. You may expend a portion of your budget towards expanding your empire’s economy. These are generally long term investments, but are the best peaceful way of expanding your powerbase.

Hive Worlds and Industrial Worlds are the best sources of income.

Resources:
These are the resources that power your industry. Though mostly represented by metals, all raw materials are included here. Wood, oil, other fuel sources, any raw material whatsoever. Every planet will have a net resources production rating. This is the amount of resources that is produced by the planet minus the local industry’s consumption.

You will need to have at least as many resources as your industries are consuming, or else your industry will grind to a halt, your production will halt and your GDP will plummet, and other bad things will happen. If you don’t have enough resources, you can always import it from other empires. There may be other more inventive ways of acquiring more resources. Taking it from someone else is always a viable solution.

A planet that is blockaded cannot receive resources from elsewhere in the empire. You must record where resources are stored in case such an event occurs.

Mining Worlds and Forgeworlds are the best sources of resources.

Food:
Despite millennia of ‘progress’, the base realities of life are inescapable. Your people need to eat. It is probably best that you feed them. Every planet will have a net food production rating. This is the amount of food that is produced by the planet minus the local population’s food consumption.

You will need to have at least as much food as your people are eating, or else they will begin to starve. This is generally regarded as a bad thing. Very bad things will happen if your people begin to die from starvation. If you don’t have enough food, you can always import it from other empires. There may be other more inventive ways of acquiring more food.

A planet that is blockaded cannot receive food from elsewhere in the empire. You must record where food is stored in case such an event occurs.

Agri-worlds are the best sources for food production.

These planets will be coveted by all sides:
Spoiler :
Name: Hive World
Approx. Population: 15-40 Billion
Economic Worth: $4000
Unit Tier Production: 4
Food Production: -6
Resource Production: -4
Description: Hive worlds are the result when industrial development reaches past the point of sustainability. These worlds are dead. The natural flora and fauna have been almost completely destroyed. In the place of forests and living oceans are ash wastes and seas of industrial chemicals and salt. The endless teeming masses of humanity have pushed onwards to the stars, building layer upon layer onto their towering cities to house the refugees from the farms, villages, and towns that are consumed by the advancing wastelands.

That's all for now. I'm always open to constructive criticism and suggestions. In fact, I demand them for the Eldar, as they are the species I am least familiar with.

I disagree with the use of dollars as currency. :p Not really as much on the grounds of aesthetics as on the grounds that these could be replaced with smaller, less unwieldy eco. point numbers that should be a bit easier to work with. Though really, it's no big issue; looks good so far.

Your rule set just won't make sense with the Eldar Craftworlds (exodites sure, definitly even). Especially since the Eldars construction material Wraithbone, is grown, or rather sang to, and then grows [well the answers more involved].

Additionally holding planets, to the Craftworld Eldar would be suicide, they are monsters with tech and Physic Powers, but extremly fragile, Holding a position would be silly. The Biel-Tel craftworld has the most interactions with the Exodites, because it sees those worlds as the starting point of A New Eldar Empire, but the Craftworld Itself does not actually colonise etc.

The Planets can't actually offer them any additional production cababilities anyway. The Eldars Limiting factor is their Population, Production, foor etc is meaningless. Its actually this fact, that the Eldar could do so much that is attributed to their fall.

As such Eldar Craftworlds either need to be played with specific missions in mind [protect exodite worlds, also note that systems XYZ all hold Eldar WebWay Portals that must not be touched, destruction of all Mon-Keigh forces on these planets is required. lastly Planet System RTS hold Ancient Weapons capable of ripping the starts to shreds, please ensure that the lesser Mon-Keigh races do not get a hold of these.

Basically the [first] age of the eldar is over, and the second age looks like it might be off in the far distant future if at all [souls of dead eldar => Eldar Death God => kill/maim Slannesh, or thats the plan, of course they are creating a DEATH GOD so *Shrug*, slannesh wasn't exactly their best work either].

The Exodites themselves are an odd mix of High tech snazzyness and barbarnism. [the ride Dragons, DRAGONS! ITS AWESOME!].

I'd need to think a bit more on how to incorperate them however, Dawn Of war etc had the Eldar their for a very specific reason, and in Dark Crusade, if they take the planet, they leave a small number of warlocks there to basically manipulate all the natives so that they fight each other and are contained, and the majority bugger off.

[eek wrote a lot :|]

Top Bottom