New Unit: Cataphract

Thank you Aluminium, I have been waiting for this change.

The additional units made by Kinboat and others look so cool, I wanted to try one. I didn't really see any major need, in game terms, for additional units, though; the designers seem to have done a good job in that regard. But Kinboat's Cataphract looked so cool, I had to try it out. So I decided to add it as a 3-2-2 unit between horseman and knight (tech: Monarchy, resources: horses and iron).

Here's my report on my first experience in adding units. Who cares if it's really necessary . . . IT'S FUN!!!

There's nothing quite like seeing a new unit you added yourself (with the help of the unit creator, of course) in action in the game. So, thank you, Kinboat, for the great unit, and thank you Colonel Kraken for the great "how to add units to C3C" tuturial!

I have a question, though. How would I add sound to the unit? I didn't realize how much I enjoy unit sounds until I saw one of my Cataphract units and one of the AI's Cataphract units silently slugging it out.

go into the folder of the unit.

see the notepad with gears? INI file..

open it

scroll down to sounds

then you must type the name

ex. attack.wav

if the sound already exist,

type ..\folder name\whatever goes here... all the way to\attack.wav

Rhye said:
is this unit good for a byzantine cataphract? or is it only persian?

persian only. Use utahjazz cataphract for the Byzantines, and Krytens alteration of it for the Romans, and his other alteration for for the Parthians and Sarmatians

I suggest you use Aluminium's version... it's just slightly more fitted to Civ3. It's just a few posts above this...

Also, try not to bump old threads just to say how it looks nice, please... :)

Xen said:
persian only. Use utahjazz cataphract for the Byzantines, and Krytens alteration of it for the Romans, and his other alteration for for the Parthians and Sarmatians

I don't like that unit. It seems to small compared to the other knights, and the horse armor doesn't seem an armor...

6 years. :p

Anyhow, it shouldn't be too difficult to mix in your own sounds from the Firaxis sounds. (some horsemen, knight, ansar warrior, rider, etc. sounds will be appropriate)

Whoops! :)

Anyhow, it shouldn't be too difficult to mix in your own sounds from the Firaxis sounds. (some horsemen, knight, ansar warrior, rider, etc. sounds will be appropriate)
Aha, I was just thinking that it might take a lot of time to listen through all the sounds and deciding which to use, and then for checking if they're okay with the animations I would need to start up the game, etc. So if anyone has already done that, I could just copy that... ;)

Top Bottom