New Units: Egyptians (September 10th 2004)

Louis XXIV said:
Its also an eye condition. ;)

Yeah, I was alluding to an old and rather politically incorrect joke about Asians and pronunciation of words though... :lol:

Very nice kinboat!!!! I'm dloading them all right now :D lol-You see if we had replacements like these for every civ that would be amazing! But just Egypt will have to do for now lol. Good job! :goodjob:

There are the sound files missing. My Egyptians move and attack in complete silence. Well, i must be the only one with this problem..? ARE the sound files missing? Hopefully someone will answer to my post! Thx

That's very easy. You have to edit the .INI file in the unit directory.

Here is an example for the Egyptian Axeman with linked sounds of the Warrior:
[Sound Effects]
BLANK=
DEFAULT=
WALK=
RUN=..\Warrior\WarriorRun.amb
ATTACK1=..\Warrior\WarriorAttackA.amb
ATTACK2=
ATTACK3=
DEFEND=
DEATH=..\Warrior\WarriorDeath.wav
DEAD=
FORTIFY=..\Warrior\WarriorFortify.wav
FORTIFYHOLD=
FIDGET=..\Warrior\WarriorFidget.wav
VICTORY=..\Warrior\WarriorVictory.wav
TURNLEFT=
TURNRIGHT=
BUILD=
ROAD=
MINE=
IRRIGATE=
FORTRESS=
CAPTURE=
STOP_AT_LAST_FRAME=
PauseROAD=
PauseMINE=
PauseIRRIGATE=

Ah, i see! Before i am going to fix the .INI-File: was it supposed by kinboat, that everyone should manage the sound for him/herself, cause the animations are really enough work? :lol: Its strange: kinboats egyptian units have all the same problem, in my case. I downloaded a lot of units, for example BeBros knights! They all have soundfiles. The Germanic Spearman ( dont know the creator right now) and the firelancer got it too. Is there only the link missing, between .INI-File and soundfiles, maybe because of a corrupt file or somekind?

Well, thank you Aluminium and sword of geddon for youre quick response! :goodjob:

It isn't a glitch... I haven't included sounds in my units for quite some time (it is more work and I wasn't that good at it). And since people might have different file setups I don't include that link to the sounds from other units.

Kinboat said:
It isn't a glitch... I haven't included sounds in my units for quite some time (it is more work and I wasn't that good at it). And since people might have different file setups I don't include that link to the sounds from other units.
I don't think it's possible to have a different file set-up in the civIII directory since then CivIII couldn't find thier own units ;) and it doesn't matter where the civIII folder is, the .. takes care of all that :)

I find it easiest just to C&P the ini from the unit it could replace and edit the path for the sounds, very easy IMHO

I've seen cases where people have renamed a unit and when the INI tries to find the sounds it can't find that folder and crashes the game. It just creates problems in some cases... I admit that is a flimsy excuse but there it is :D And I'd have to test and double test the sounds to make sure they worked with the pacing of the animation... Really more work then just pasting a few lines.

Kinboat,

You just keep on cranking out the units sans sounds. I'm with SoG. I prefer to mix and match my units with sounds myself.

I agree, I'd rather add my own sounds, rather than trust someone else to do it, and then have it crash my game when I'm trying to play during class. That's the worst time for civ to crash. Then I usually have to shift over to Doom.

Five stars to Kinboat :) Again, they look better than Civ3 units. I'm working on the sounds atm (I link some, others I edit in CoolEdit program) and I can confirm it's not easy and takes time, if you want to do it right (ie. sync the sound with sword slash etc.).

Dease said:
I don't think it's possible to have a different file set-up in the civIII directory since then CivIII couldn't find thier own units ;) and it doesn't matter where the civIII folder is, the .. takes care of all that :)

Believe me, it is possible. There are different versions of Civ3 with differently named folders, which is an extreme pain in the bottom to a modder that uses a lot of references in INI's. Most versions have "Leader Ancient Times" but some stupid distribution has it named "Leader Ancient". Just an example of someone's bad job.

Sounds files in amb and wav can be included witht he files but there is no need to link sounds from other folders as for the reason said. Sometimes the links are broken. I prefer to link them myself.

Very AWESOME units!

Top Bottom