New Version - July 18th (7-18)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gazebo

Lord of the Community Patch
Supporter
Hey all,

New version inbound. Mainly behind-the-scenes changes, though I did add three new corp-centric tenets.

Bugfixes/Enhancements/Balance:

• Tribute was happening too often
  • Slowed down natural border growth slightly
  • Bumped policy cost up slightly
  • Increased difficulties slightly and change text
  • Adjusted happiness metric upwards a bit
  • Increases spy advanced action cooldown a little
  • Scaled some more yields (belief/policy/trait) for gamespeed
  • Fixed text on faith buildings in follower selection
  • Adjusted single hex operation to compensate a little more for other units in the way
  • AI cities now directly queue up units needed for active operations - should help the AI get things moving (was relying on the RNG, which can be tricksy)
  • Cleaned up AI war logic a little bit
  • Interface work (cleaned up, fixed some UI errors, help text added in some key places in the civilopedia)

Added three new ideology tenets:

• Freedom:
  • Transnationalism: Each turn, there is a chance (based on number of owned Trade Units) that a Corporate Franchise will appear in a foreign City.
    Order:
  • Nationalization: Corporate Offices function as Franchises. Franchises in foreign Cities no longer benefit your Corporation.
    Autocracy:
  • Syndicalism: Corporate Franchises count double in the Cities of Civilizations you are at least Popular with.
  • Moved Autocracy 'Legacy of Clausewitz' down, moved 'Gunboat Diplomacy' back up. Removed free policy on LoC.

Buffed Corporations a bit:

• Civilized Jewelers Office: Now +10% GP rate per Franchise, +10% Gold from TRs to Cities with a Franchise
  • Firaxite Materials Office: Now +3 Science per Franchise, +100% Science from TRs to cities with a Franchise
  • Giorgio Armeier Office: Now +3 Culture per Franchise, +10% Culture from TRs to Cities with a Franchise
  • Hexxon Refinery Office: Now +2 Oil per Franchise, +10% Production from TRs to Cities with a Franchise
  • LandSea Extractors Office: Now +3 Production per Franchise, +10% Science from TRs to Cities with a Franchise
  • Trader Sid's Office: Now +4 Gold per Franchise, +50% Gold from TRs to Cities with a Franchise
  • TwoKay Foods Office: Now +3 Food per Franchise, +10% Growth from TRs to Cities with a Franchise

New version online as of 1:30am EST (7-18).

Cheers,
G

How does the Order tenet work with the TR bonus? Internal TRs would get that bonus?

Civilized Jewelers Office: Now +10% GP rate per Franchise, +10% Gold from TRs to Cities with a Franchise
Firaxite Materials Office: Now +3 Science per Franchise, +100% Science from TRs to cities with a Franchise
Giorgio Armeier Office: Now +3 Culture per Franchise, +10% Culture from TRs to Cities with a Franchise
Hexxon Refinery Office: Now +2 Oil per Franchise, +10% Production from TRs to Cities with a Franchise
LandSea Extractors Office: Now +3 Production per Franchise, +10% Science from TRs to Cities with a Franchise
Trader Sid's Office: Now +4 Gold per Franchise, +50% Gold from TRs to Cities with a Franchise
TwoKay Foods Office: Now +3 Food per Franchise, +10% Growth from TRs to Cities with a Franchise

Ok, just thought I'd share a few things. At the era when corporations becomes available flat food and flat production completely blows flat science and flat gold away, culture is probably somewhere in between or in the same category as food and production.

Other than that, you probably mean different things from different corporations with the secondary effects, but it probably sounded a lot better in your head.
I mean just look at these two:
+100% Science from TRs to cities with a Franchise
+10% Science from TRs to Cities with a Franchise

Also, did you include the worker improvements as a secret addition just to trick me? :D

More Corporations stuff, whooo!

Whilst I do like the idea of policies using the Corporations system, I'd still like to see the Corporation and Ideology systems more intertwined. The role that labour and ultimately, capital, should play in the world was a defining aspect behind the ideologies that shaped the history of the 20th century, which is where Ideologies get their basis from. Considering that ideologies and Corporations show up virtually simultaneously (Ideologies can pop slightly sooner if you fill 4 policy trees but it's still going to be close) making them closer would seem to make sense. Perhaps choosing an ideology could even be the event that triggers Corporations being available.

Ideologies currently lack openers, finishers and cumulative bonuses which the policy trees have. Why not put such aspects in, but link them exclusively to corporations? In this way the power of the corp would grow with your investment in your ideology

Ultimately though, what is the end goal with the corporation system? My initial impression based on two games where I've reached the corporate stage is that they're designed to inject some additional gameplay into end-game. They encourage you to mix up your trade routes to different cities and give you something else to build. Even with the changes you've listed though, I don't feel that they'll really shake up the end-game to a great degree.

Now, if the goal is the revitalize the end-game (currently the weakest part of Civ V) I think Corporations have a lot of potential. The 20th and 21st centuries have seen the rise of multi-national corporations which play an immense role in the global economy, to the extent that much of what governments used to see as their purview has now been taken over by business. Could this concept extend into the game? Freedom players could have wild, unchecked growth of their corporate interests, but be vulnerable to crippling stock market crashes. Order players would focus on great state-run enterprises in their own lands, but would struggle to compete in a global marketplace. Autocracy players could spread their corporations via conquest and demanding tribute, yet in times of peace or when on the defensive, they'd struggle.

I suppose at the end of the day, how far do you want to go with them Gazebo?

How does the Order tenet work with the TR bonus? Internal TRs would get that bonus?

It will, when I fix it. :) (I'll patch later today - it'll be savegame compatible).

Perhaps "Corporations.sql" (No-EUI Version) should be updated.

I did, but I'll double check it.

Other than that, you probably mean different things from different corporations with the secondary effects, but it probably sounded a lot better in your head.
I mean just look at these two:
+100% Science from TRs to cities with a Franchise
+10% Science from TRs to Cities with a Franchise

That's just me not being clear in the patch notes. +100% science applies to the science gained in TRs, whereas the 10% applies to city modifiers.

Whilst I do like the idea of policies using the Corporations system, I'd still like to see the Corporation and Ideology systems more intertwined. The role that labour and ultimately, capital, should play in the world was a defining aspect behind the ideologies that shaped the history of the 20th century, which is where Ideologies get their basis from. Considering that ideologies and Corporations show up virtually simultaneously (Ideologies can pop slightly sooner if you fill 4 policy trees but it's still going to be close) making them closer would seem to make sense. Perhaps choosing an ideology could even be the event that triggers Corporations being available.

I mean, that's what these tenets do (intertwine them more). I don't want to overcomplicate the corporations system's functionality too much, as it is already fairly advanced.

From a historical standpoint, I understand where you are coming from, however translating the genesis of ideology into civ mechanics is...less than easy.

Ideologies currently lack openers, finishers and cumulative bonuses which the policy trees have. Why not put such aspects in, but link them exclusively to corporations? In this way the power of the corp would grow with your investment in your ideology

Ideologies don't follow the same rules as policies in terms of opener/finisher functionality in the DLL.

I suppose at the end of the day, how far do you want to go with them Gazebo?

Not to be a downer, but not too much further. I might add another tenet for corporations or something, but too much more might 'gild the lily,' as it were.

Does CBP still use the default AI handicap?

That's a bit of a red herring, to be honest.

G

Hi G

Been away for a Civ for a while but a recent holiday made me dream of sweet conquests and looking at the development of this mod for the last three months I just couldn't resist :D

I've been updating my own modmod, getting updated versions of this and that and booted up CiV. Lua.log however shows a lot of error messages that seem to be related to me opening the civilopedia. It may be related to other mods (including my own) but I have no idea where to start lookng and I only see the keys mentioned (ImageTexture/ImageOffset) mentioned in two mods: CP and the CBP compatibility patch, so the arrow point in this direction.

The error message goes:

Spoiler :
[2351.184] YieldIconManager: C:\Users\Joakim\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\MODS\Community Patch (7-15v2)\LUA\YieldIconManager.lua:59: Cannot find key - ImageTexture
[2351.184] YieldIconManager: C:\Users\Joakim\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\MODS\Community Patch (7-15v2)\LUA\YieldIconManager.lua:61: Cannot find key - ImageOffset
[2351.184] YieldIconManager: C:\Users\Joakim\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\MODS\Community Patch (7-15v2)\LUA\YieldIconManager.lua:59: Cannot find key - ImageTexture
[2351.184] YieldIconManager: C:\Users\Joakim\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\MODS\Community Patch (7-15v2)\LUA\YieldIconManager.lua:61: Cannot find key - ImageOffset

Any hint? do you see this? Using 7-15v2 version with EUI/CSD and Civ4DF downloaded here.

\Skodkim

Hi G

Been away for a Civ for a while but a recent holiday made me dream of sweet conquests and looking at the development of this mod for the last three months I just couldn't resist :D

I've been updating my own modmod, getting updated versions of this and that and booted up CiV. Lua.log however shows a lot of error messages that seem to be related to me opening the civilopedia. It may be related to other mods (including my own) but I have no idea where to start lookng and I only see the keys mentioned (ImageTexture/ImageOffset) mentioned in two mods: CP and the CBP compatibility patch, so the arrow point in this direction.

The error message goes:

Spoiler :

Any hint? do you see this? Using 7-15v2 version with EUI/CSD and Civ4DF downloaded here.

\Skodkim

Not sure, though those aren't actually 'errors,' they are warnings. If the civpedia is working properly, they're benign.

G

I think that Civilized Jewelers is way more useful than any other corporation for anybody. GP rate bonus is extremely powerful.

I think that Civilized Jewelers is way more useful than any other corporation for anybody. GP rate bonus is extremely powerful.

A few of them is a bit weirdly balanced.

Civilized Jewelers Office: Now +10% GP rate per Franchise, +10% Gold from TRs to Cities with a Franchise
Firaxite Materials Office: Now +3 Science per Franchise, +100% Science from TRs to cities with a Franchise
Giorgio Armeier Office: Now +3 Culture per Franchise, +10% Culture from TRs to Cities with a Franchise
Hexxon Refinery Office: Now +2 Oil per Franchise, +10% Production from TRs to Cities with a Franchise
LandSea Extractors Office: Now +3 Production per Franchise, +10% Science from TRs to Cities with a Franchise
Trader Sid's Office: Now +4 Gold per Franchise, +50% Gold from TRs to Cities with a Franchise
TwoKay Foods Office: Now +3 Food per Franchise, +10% Growth from TRs to Cities with a Franchise

For example, +3 food/production/culture is a lot more powerful than 3 science or 4 gold in lategame. +2 oil is pretty crazy actually +1 would be more than enough.
10% GPP like you said is insane, and honestly with the way franchises work, a yield like %GPP per franchise is impossible to balance, so it would be better if you went for something else instead.

Out of the secondary effect, some are quite clearly a lot weaker than others, while some scales insanely good with more caravans (Venice is going to be insane with those)

First of all +10% growth per traderoute is a lot worse than all the others. Growth is finite and increasing it percentual only actually speeds up growth to your maximum possible size, not actually increasing the size, as is the case with most others.
+50% gold from TRs is going to lose out to flat +10% gold as soon as you have 3 or 4 traderoutes in the same city, something that you quite likely have by the time you reach corporations. +100% science from traderoutes doesn't quite scale as badly, but it probably going to lose out to flat +10% science anyways.

I can understand that some of them are intentionally weaker than others because they are easier to found, but Traders sid just feels like a huge crash.

A few of them is a bit weirdly balanced.

For example, +3 food/production/culture is a lot more powerful than 3 science or 4 gold in lategame. +2 oil is pretty crazy actually +1 would be more than enough.
10% GPP like you said is insane, and honestly with the way franchises work, a yield like %GPP per franchise is impossible to balance, so it would be better if you went for something else instead.

Out of the secondary effect, some are quite clearly a lot weaker than others, while some scales insanely good with more caravans (Venice is going to be insane with those)

First of all +10% growth per traderoute is a lot worse than all the others. Growth is finite and increasing it percentual only actually speeds up growth to your maximum possible size, not actually increasing the size, as is the case with most others.
+50% gold from TRs is going to lose out to flat +10% gold as soon as you have 3 or 4 traderoutes in the same city, something that you quite likely have by the time you reach corporations. +100% science from traderoutes doesn't quite scale as badly, but it probably going to lose out to flat +10% science anyways.

I can understand that some of them are intentionally weaker than others because they are easier to found, but Traders sid just feels like a huge crash.

Some corps are going to be stronger than others - that's by design. We need to keep testing them to see if they're are grossly imbalanced in the late-game (I bumped the values up this time because I finally have a pool of numbers to work with, in terms of how many franchises/offices the AI makes on average per game).

G

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom