No italian city states?

Bonci

King
I'm a bit surprised because in civ5 they were quintessential city states and the only italian civ was a glorified city state.

Now in Civ6 there is no sign of them...I don't know if I should be hopeful or disappointed :confused:

Technically the way that civs map on to real life countries means that Rome probably counts as an Italian Civ, but that's probably semantics. Seeing more Italian city states might be good, yeah.

They might add some in if they turn existing CS into full civs to fill the gap though.

We still have 1 cultural and 1 militaristic city-states left. I'll be surprised if Florence is not the last cultural city-state. It's the birthplace of Reinassance after all. And I don't think they would want to put lots of city-states on the same place in vanilla.

I'd love Florence, Venice, and Milan, at a minimum (and I could suggest others too if you want), but they can always add them if other City-States become Civs.

I think they opted to move away from the Italian cities because they were so numerous in V. Or perhaps they are planning to do another Italian city civ like Tuscany or Genoa, and they don't want us deducing it like we did with Venice.

Or maybe a full Italian civ? But it will have to share the same capital as Rome, though.

Notice how Istanbul, Persepolis, Palenque/or Tikal, Karakorum, Angkor, aren't city-states? Maybe Firaxis intends to release those civs earlier than those represented in the game as City-States (Korea, Netherlands, Sweden, Carthage, Portugal).

Notice how Istanbul, Persepolis, Palenque/or Tikal, Karakorum, Angkor, aren't city-states? Maybe Firaxis intends to release those civs earlier than those represented in the game as City-States (Korea, Netherlands, Sweden, Carthage, Portugal).

I was wondering that, maybe they will be the first DLCs. The represented city-states probably will have to wait till the expansion.

Moderator Action: Moved to Ideas & Suggestions

Or maybe a full Italian civ? But it will have to share the same capital as Rome, though.

In Civ V Brave New World Byzantium and the Ottomans were both Civs and they occupied virtually the same territory. So there are ways to get both Rome and Italy in the game. They can split some of the cities. And Rome didn't become the capital until the late 19th Century I believe. That means Italy had different capitals. I think Milan was one of them. So maybe Milan(or another previous Italian capital) can be their Civ Capital.

Not necessarily. Note how Germany under Barbarossa doesn't have Berlin as a capital, but Aachen. It can be assumed that the capital may change depending on the leader. So, if they chose a leader such as, for example, Lorenzo de Medici, they could simply make the capital be Florence instead of Rome.

Personally, I really hope they put Italy in as a civ, but with nothing but the lack of Italian city-states to go on, I'd say it's probably just wishful thinking at this point.

I'd love to see a civ that represents the Papal States, or at least a city state as in Civ V. Focused on religion.

Rodrigo Borgia could make a great leader, I mean Pope Alexander VI, or his son Cesare.

LUA "Machiavelli's Prince": Instantly gain suzerain of a CS if you besiege it.

UU: Swiss Guard

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Papal_States

Not really, both Turin and Florence were capitals before Rome. Italy united in 1861, the Papal state was still independent at the time.

It seems in civ6 city states represent, even more, "minor nations".
But even then I would have put at least Venice or Florence in there, somewhere...maybe they are planning a DLC related to Italy in some way, maybe Barbarossa will be part of it. That would be awesome :D

It is really peculiar, especially since many of the Italian cities are best represented by CSs, and best fit, historically, the ideal of what they're supposed to be.

It is possible that they have one in mind to become a fully fledged Civ, perhaps Tuscany, the Papal States (especially since religious units have been fleshed out), or another incarnation of Venice. However there's nothing stopping them from changing the name of a city-state later, as they will almost certainly do for Seoul and Amsterdam eventually.

They are very conspicuous by their absence, which does make me wonder if an Italian city state DLC is on the horizon. But if that is the case, you could still have one or two (i.e. Venice if Firaxis is planning a Tuscan Civ, Florence if they're planning a Venice civ, or either if they're planning a Papal State civ). I don't think stopping us from guessing is a motive of theirs - especially since we're already guessing :lol: .

It is really peculiar, especially since many of the Italian cities are best represented by CSs, and best fit, historically, the ideal of what they're supposed to be.

It is possible that they have one in mind to become a fully fledged Civ, perhaps Tuscany, the Papal States (especially since religious units have been fleshed out), or another incarnation of Venice. However there's nothing stopping them from changing the name of a city-state later, as they will almost certainly do for Seoul and Amsterdam eventually.

They are very conspicuous by their absence, which does make me wonder if an Italian city state DLC is on the horizon. But if that is the case, you could still have one or two (i.e. Venice if Firaxis is planning a Tuscan Civ, Florence if they're planning a Venice civ, or either if they're planning a Papal State civ). I don't think stopping us from guessing is a motive of theirs - especially since we're already guessing :lol: .

At this point it would make more sense to have one Italian civ covering renaissance and risorgimento italy. After all Greece is a mix of city states and Germany in civ represents both a divided and united Germany. It would make perfect sense to have an Italian civ and with multiple leaders you could have a modern leader (Victor Emanuel II for instance) and a renaissance one (whether it is a Pope or someone like Lorenzo de medici). Having leader unique abilities makes it easier to give different themes to the same civ.

At this point it would make more sense to have one Italian civ covering renaissance and risorgimento italy. After all Greece is a mix of city states and Germany in civ represents both a divided and united Germany. It would make perfect sense to have an Italian civ and with multiple leaders you could have a modern leader (Victor Emanuel II for instance) and a renaissance one (whether it is a Pope or someone like Lorenzo de medici). Having leader unique abilities makes it easier to give different themes to the same civ.

I disagree. The different city states have quite different focuses, which would make them each an interesting civ in their own right: Papal States with a heavy religion focus, Venice with a maritime trade focus, Florence with a focus on Great People patronage. I think a blob civ of Italy loses that.

Of course, you can make the same argument about Greece. I think a Greece split could be interesting, but they have been this way since Civ I :lol:. BNW's introduction of Venice was an interesting move and one I hope they learn from.

To some extent it is possible to have this diversity with multiple leaders, but with one unique ability and one agenda per leader it is still quite narrow. I would also rather see lots of new civs, or new leaders given to a range of civs, long before an Italy civ with three leaders :lol:.

I think there should be a civilisation for each culture of the world. Having three Italian civs and like no native American or Persian seems too Eurocentric and it gives more importance to a little peninsula in the Mediterranean than to China for example.

I think there should be a civilisation for each culture of the world. Having three Italian civs and like no native American or Persian seems too Eurocentric and it gives more importance to a little peninsula in the Mediterranean than to China for example.

Oh I agree. While an Italian city state Civ would be interesting to include eventually, I'd rather they focus on non-European civs for the foreseeable future.

Venice will probably be a dlc again or will be at least a city state.
But Italy as another Civ, I will not believe. The land around Rome is Italia. Moreover for Civ6 applies that France has a Medici leader, so there is really less space for another Italian ruler from the Renaissance. Or did you mean a modern Italian ruler? Should Giovanni Trapattoni rule the Italian soccer Empire from the 90s:)

Top Bottom