Nuclear bombs vs missiles

Can't missile cruisers hold nukes also? I mean. . I already know that missile cruisers can hold missiles.

No, cruisers can't hold bombs. I know these details are not clear because it is so rare that we get to use nukes, but in my current game I was able to use them and I wish I knew what goes where before I started.

Made around 12 bombs when i should have been making missiles.

Regular A-Bombs can be transported onboard of Aircraft Carriers though.
Missiles go on Nuclear Subs and Missile Cruisers.
The Missile variants are very likely to completely kill military units within blast radius, A-bombs just hurt them. On a quick invasion, this can be a determining factor in how quickly a city can be taken.

The determining factor for me is that bombs go on carriers, those by themselves are useless. Carriers can't even take coastal cities even if they count as melee.

Cruisers on the other hand are an awesome unit all by themselves, high range, high damage, and you get +1 range to destroy inland units with the level 3 promotion. I'd rather make a cruiser than a carrier, not to forget that 3 missiles (default capacity without promotion) pack a lot more strength than 5 bombs (from promotions) let alone the default 2 the carrier ships with.

Cruisers are great and all, but they are not a carrier replacement. Carriers are there to hold fighters and bombers. Fighters to defend your fleet from aircraft, and bombers to help take out cities inland along with your nukes, as nukes don't finish off cities, they halve their current health.

But does anyone notice the date of this thread?

Cruisers are great and all, but they are not a carrier replacement.
All I am saying is that they are a superior nuke delivery system, if all you want is nuke the other continent.

But does anyone notice the date of this thread?
Frankly, is it that much better to continually start new topic for the same old discussions?

This topic had a lot of information and is number 1 in google for "civ 4 bombs vs missiles". I think it makes much more sens to add info in here instead of spreading it all around the place.

I just figured a topic that is 4 years old, since the last post is outdated. With old information that may not apply or had changed over time.

I just finished two modern era games where i used at least 40 nukes each (and everything related, carriers, cruisers, submarines). I don't know about the submarine visibility issue, but I can attest that all nuke-related infos in this topic are still accurate. :)

In my personal mod, nukes must be BUILT, they cannot be purchased;
and at marathon speed, that takes some foresight!

*one more thing, Nuclear Missiles can instant raze a city with a population of -6.

Don't think I've seen a city with a population of -6: is that when even the rats have left?:lol:

Anyway, surely the reason to use missiles instead of bombs is that they are awesome, and fantastically effective against clustered units. In one recent game Rome was a titanic power and was coming at me on two fronts with a couple of serious battle fleets including A/C s with A-bombs - but a couple of nukes and he only had something like a destroyer and a battleship left from them. I find A-bombs a bit hit and miss, but on the occasions I use missiles they devastate.

*one more thing, Nuclear Missiles can instant raze a city with a population of -6.
In my experience not 6, not even 5, but it needs to be 4 to be insta razed.

It might depend on defensive buildings however.

Top Bottom