Old games resurgent!!

So I might be the only one on the planet to experience this but since this is CFC I have to believe there are other like minded people here.

Lately, I've been spending more time playing games that are 20+ years old than I have been playing new games released this year. I find that there are some really good new games on the market that I've bought recently that captivate me for a few weeks and then I never play again. Yet games like Civilization III: Conquests, Emperor of the Fading Suns, and Fallen Haven are increasingly demanding more and more of my current game time.

In the case of C3C it's mods that keep this game alive for me even after all of these years. Unmodded EoFS and Fallen Haven are games that, for me at least, have a certain 'just one more turn' feel to them that once I start playing these ancient games I still can't stop despite the lure of newer games with advanced features that were unheard of 20 years ago.

Am I some kind of kookoo head or have any of you felt this before? Does age have anything to do with how we determine what games we want to play.

I play games I enjoy. Their age doesn't matter unless they're too old to be compatible with the computer I'm using.

"The games I play aren't that old" I think to myself, as I decide if I want to play Skyrim* or Medieval 2 Total War**.
Though I tried Emperor of the Fading Suns when the version optimized to work on modern software was released, and I just couldn't get into it. Too much stuck behind a pretty crude interface.

*2011, more time elapsed between Skyrim's release and now than between the release of Morrowind and Skyrim.
**Errrrr released 2006 I think?

I still play CIV 3 conquests, Sid Meirs Alpha Centauri and Pirates, Knights of the Old Republic, and Star Wars Empire at war.

Currently (slowly) doing the Mass Effect trilogy.

Damm Zardnaar beat me to Alpha Centauri! That said, I also still fire up Deadlock: Planetary Conquest, which is even older. Both very good games that have stood the test of time! :thumbsup:

D

"The games I play aren't that old" I think to myself, as I decide if I want to play Skyrim* or Medieval 2 Total War**.
Though I tried Emperor of the Fading Suns when the version optimized to work on modern software was released, and I just couldn't get into it. Too much stuck behind a pretty crude interface.

*2011, more time elapsed between Skyrim's release and now than between the release of Morrowind and Skyrim.
**Errrrr released 2006 I think?
2002 but you're still right that its longer between Skyrim and now than between MW and Skyrim, and they fitted in Oblivion between them. TES VI by 2025-26 maybe.

I play games I enjoy. Their age doesn't matter unless they're too old to be compatible with the computer I'm using.

Hello again - I have no idea what you mean by too old to be compatible with the computer you're using. Some of the games I play use emulators. The examples I can think of are:

Starflight, 1986 - Original game played on 2 floppy discs. The big challenge is learning how to manage save files, because in the original game, the game file and the save file were the same. There was no room left on the disc for a proper save file. You also have to play as administrator for it to work. There is very little replayablity value, but there is a lot of nostalgia value. Dosbox PC emulator.

Original Bard's Tale - Dosbox emulator. The other version I have has an Apple emulator.

Some time ago on some game systems, I saw a cartridge featuring a collection of old-school Atari games. Pitfall comes to mind. I saw a YouTube video where somebody showed how to collect all (32) treasures inside the 20 minute time cap.

That leaves the C64 system and fond memories of visiting friends who had the C64 and some games. Raid on Bay comes to mind. I do not know of an emulator for that and have not tried too hard to look for it.

So I might be the only one on the planet to experience this but since this is CFC I have to believe there are other like minded people here.

Lately, I've been spending more time playing games that are 20+ years old than I have been playing new games released this year. I find that there are some really good new games on the market that I've bought recently that captivate me for a few weeks and then I never play again. Yet games like Civilization III: Conquests, Emperor of the Fading Suns, and Fallen Haven are increasingly demanding more and more of my current game time.

In the case of C3C it's mods that keep this game alive for me even after all of these years. Unmodded EoFS and Fallen Haven are games that, for me at least, have a certain 'just one more turn' feel to them that once I start playing these ancient games I still can't stop despite the lure of newer games with advanced features that were unheard of 20 years ago.

Am I some kind of kookoo head or have any of you felt this before? Does age have anything to do with how we determine what games we want to play.
You had me at C3C ^^
(yes, Takhi, it's a glasses thing)

Last night I was playing Landstalker: The Treasures of King Nole for a while then played Streets of Rage for a level and then Sonic 2 for a few minutes to see how far I can get by casually playing.

I'm 90 turns into a Julii playthrough of Rome: Total War (2004). I edited the game files to make Roman units 3x as expensive as they were originally. My economy is totally crippled and every unit I deploy here means stripping my defenses there. It's good fun.

And because it's old and I already know how everything works I can listen to podcasts in the background while I play.

i have a baldur's gate 1 - throne of bhaal run going still, need to get back to that.

i have also been playing dungeon crawl stone soup, which has the amusing distinction of being started decades ago and still seeing development right now. as of late, i've been putting up great numbers in this roguelike. i am probably better at dcss than i am at any other game right now, coming off back-to-back "longest win streak" performances in the past two tournaments where the average win % among all players is 2%.

That said, I also still fire up Deadlock: Planetary Conquest
many are the cht cht, very few are you

Hello again - I have no idea what you mean by too old to be compatible with the computer you're using. Some of the games I play use emulators.
There are some games on the fringe (late 90s) that are a giant pain to make work. For example, the game I mentioned in my first post here, I could likely make work on a virtual machine. But the effort required to do this is just excessive in comparison to the nostalgia.

The oldest game I play on a regular basis is Civ 4, but I'll occasionally get out some older ones. I also did a playthrough of the two Baldur's Gate games a couple of years back.

Reactions: PiR
I have no idea what you mean by too old to be compatible with the computer you're using. Some of the games I play use emulators.

I'm talking about stuff I played on my Windows 98, Vista, and XP.

Some of the XP games I bought from Big Fish Games still work. A lot of them don't. Some sorta work but are glitchy now.

There are plenty classics that i dig out from time to time.
Homm3 - Gabriel Knight 1&2 - The Longest Journey - Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis - Dungeon Keeper are just a few.
You shouldn't underestimate the Knight's family tragic poet-samurai appeal ^^
Though I have never played 2. Only 1+3.

Top Bottom