Our World: Civilizations of the Modern Age Design Discussion

Actually, it's worse than that. Think of a YNAEMP game: the Mozambique area, without Kilwa, would be quickly settled by Tanzania, the Boers, Rhodesia, Zulu or Maasai. Angola (and Congo and Gabon), without the civs I mentioned, would be just a huge empty hole.

I wonder what Angola could focus on. The only thing I know about their civil war is that a bunch of Cubans got sent there so maybe alliances or foreign influence could be important? Idk I just really want an Angola now that I saw that map.

Woah, the maps are indeed awesome. I love Angola in particular.

I'm not sure what the civ will focus on, honestly. I absolutely have to do some serious research on the country - the civ can't just be about internal turmoil, that can't work.
Hoop, your quote will be going on the front page.

Brief note on Civ 6 - I think it's safe to assume that because of the impending Civ 6, we're not going to get all of these civs out before October. Hopefully we can get a few more rolling this summer. I'm not the type to stick with Civ 5 when 6 is out. I will say that I stand by my goal to bring more modern civs to the Civ series and will hopefully be doing something similar for that game. It'll be more fun to start at the beginning of the game's life cycle.

Woah, the maps are indeed awesome. I love Angola in particular.

I'm not sure what the civ will focus on, honestly. I absolutely have to do some serious research on the country - the civ can't just be about internal turmoil, that can't work.
Focusing on the ramifications of the civil war to present-day Angola would definitely work. The country generally urbanized and Luanda in specific had a massive population increase as the countryside population fled to the coastal, usually MPLA-controlled cities during the civil war; Luanda is now the third most populous Lusophone city in the world, and Angola had a massive GDP growth since the civil war ended due to Cabinda's oil deposits, and to a less extent diamonds. Before the civil war destroyed the countryside, Angola was one of the largest exporters of commodity crops in south Africa (The region :p), so I thought about a resource-cycling mechanic of some sort where the current "chosen" resource receives extra Gold bonuses. It'd be best to avoid direct references to late developments such as telecommunications, Oil, or units/vehicles used in the civil war like a BM-21 Grad or a Mig of some sort, since those things would come too late in the game for the player to enjoy, but a Great General replacement would work for all eras to represent the Cubans. I didn't, though, find any unique name (This is a HUGE problem for Angola) that could be used, so I composed "Revolutionary Cadre" out of communist jargons. And Cadre is a too cool sounding word to not be used somewhere in this game. :p

This is thus what I thought so far:

Leader: Agostinho Neto
Trait: Renewal of Luanda
Your Capital receives any surplus Food of cities under siege by you or your enemies. Increased Gold generation of 1% per turn of war upon signing a peace deal, decreasing every turn.

UB: Shipping Docks (Harbor)
+1 Gold per source of a resource within your borders. Target resource changes every time peace is signed, boosting the base yield of the Shipping Docks by one every time it does.

UU: Revolutionary Cadre (Great General)
Gain Revolutionary Cadre points whenever a Spy performs an action in Angola. *Something else*

Okay, cool. I like this. Is it possible to construct a Portugese UU name or something? I agree on not using a piece of modern military equipment - I also don't want to represent Soviet arms in a Angola civ.

I agree that focusing on the ramifications of the civil war is the way to go, I've read about Luanda's postwar changes a little and they are fascinating. The Shipping Docks is interesting mechanically too! What if you gained influence with Military CSs per turn for each Cadre you have?

How are things going with Israel and Iran?
It'll be quite sad not to see many of these civs out.

I agree, that's just the way it is. I was hoping we wouldn't get Civ 6 for that very reason. But time marches on.

I deserve the blame for any disappointment. It was aspirational to announce all of these civs at once, knowing it'd take a massive effort to get the ball rolling, especially considering my limited personal skills and time. I'm happy with what we've done though, and planning out, discussing and working on this project has been fun and rewarding.

With regards to Iran, we have some of the Lua and most of the art. I am currently in the end of exams and the associated celebrations so I think I should be able to do some of the compilation work soon.

so which civs might be released before you turn to civ 6? I know some arts of Soviet and Indonesia are done, so maybe you might go on with them.

wish to see Soviet, China (Deng), UK or USA.

Anyway, thanks for your release of Mao.

My priority list is to do Iran, Israel and then go to the US, UK and USSR. Deng too because his icons are done. Indonesia and Turkmenistan as well. UAE and Japan are both collabs with LiTE which have a lot of the art done but we'll see where those go.

Man, those are some really nice maps! I especially like the clever use of Red/Black in the different sectors of the Angola map. And while it's nice for Rhodesia to finally have a sparring partner in Mozambique, I do kind of agree with Tarcisio's sentiment that in addition to Biafra/Congo, an Apartheid-era SA would be a necessity for a Cold War Africa game. If everyone weren't already rushing to get as many of their already planned mods done before 6, I'd seriously want to collaborate with someone on it at some point.

Top Bottom