Our World: Civilizations of the Modern Age Design Discussion

Yeah, I have nothing at all against using the local music or composition for appropriate civ. Seems like Baba Yetu won't be heard in Civ5 mod for a while (outside of Bantu and Hatsune Miku, actually)

Hint: Keep defending, and use lightning when enemy units are in diagonals.

Well, I screw up somewhere in my first playthrough (that I intentionally start at Hard) and having about 40 warriors left while I reach Boersgard due to starvation. Game over.

Now I am at second Hard playthrough and for some reason I am struggle to fight at the tower that is a chapter before the bridge. I thought it was easier in my first time.

Maps? Maps.

Here's Greece and Costa Rica if you need them any time in the far future. Are there any others you'd like done?

Greece:
Spoiler :

Costa Rica:
Spoiler :

I came up with a design for Greece. It's based on their independence war rather than their modern history, but some of its aspects could still be useful.

Kingdom of Greece

Leader: Ioannis Kapodistrias

UA: Philhellenism: Ancient or Classical :greatwork: Great Works and Wonders increase :c5greatperson: Great Person generation by 5%. When you enter a war, gain free units from other civs based on how influential you are over them. Free Great Writer at Drama and Poetry.

UU: Klepht: Replaces Rifleman (Skirmisher with EE). Cheaper to build, especially if in a defensive war, but weaker. Gains an extra attack if starting its turn adjacent to a friendly or gifted unit (units from the UA count). Can move after attacking.

UB
: Acropolis: Replaces Amphitheater. :greatwork: Great Works in this city yield an extra +1 :c5culture: Culture and +1 :tourism: Tourism for every 2 eras since their creation. Provides an additional :greatwork: Great Work of Writing slot that has a same civ, same era theming bonus. This theming bonus reduces the era length requirement to 1 instead of providing additional :tourism: Tourism.

Woah, hello! Must've missed those maps for some reason. They look great and capture the themes of the civs well. I'm a fan.

Uighur, I like yours, especially the free units. Honestly, though, I was planning on going with Urdnot's old design, although surely as the civ comes closer (it's not close at all now) we can see if we can combine or otherwise reconcile the two ideas.

Dude, I got a good idea since you're planning an Indonesia civ. I happen to be Indonesian as well, so I can give a good insight on what the ingame civ might be like... My UA idea was kinda OP by the way. And so is the UU (OP in real world as well). Feel free to use...

Republic of Indonesia
Leader: Soekarno
UA: Unity in Diversity - +1 production, culture and faith per religion present for each city. +20% combat strength in friendly territory.
UU: Kopassus - Replaces Paratrooper. +33% combat strength in jungle, forest, hills and marsh.
UB: State University - Replaces university. 2x science output, half upkeep.

... and the vanilla Indonesia will be replaced with...
Majapahit Empire
Leader: Gajah Mada
Change capital from Jakarta to Trowulan. City name pool change.
UA, UU, and UB same as vanilla.

Oh and I also got an idea for your East Germany civ. An elite paratrooper unit equipped with AT and AA handheld missile launchers. Reminds me of Wargame.
UU: FJB-40 - Replaces Paratrooper. +33% combat strength against armor and aircraft.

Hehe, nice seeing another Indonesian around.
Kinda like the UA idea about bonus with religion and the State Univ, but I think it can be tweaked around a bit. Theres this big idea throwing about Indonesia a while back in page 80something, incase you didnt see that. But I dont think there has been any agreed proposal about its Uniques, since Our World need to clear up some civ befpre Indonesia can be worked around.

While were at it, can I post my updated design as well? The one on my new civs idea thread.

Spoiler :
Republic of Indonesia

UA: Pancasila
Receive free random Social Policy upon opening a Social Policy Tree or adopting Ideology for the first time. For every 5 Tenets that you had unlocked, receive 1 free random Tier I Tenets from Ideology that you didn't choose. Farms provide +1 Culture.

UU: Pedjoeang
Weaker (-3 STR) Indonesian replacement for Great War Infantry that might become invinsible in Jungle and Forest tiles, but will become a permanent when adjacent to Great Generals. Receive 50% more combat modifier from Great Generals as well (23% vs the usual 15%). When this unit was killed, receive Culture equal to 50% of its Production cost.

UB: Tugu
Replacement for Monument that doubled its yield during Peace time. Boost unit production in this City by 4% per Social Policy Tree completed, with the maximum of 20%.

Lol yeah... good to see ya too. Lots of fellow Indonesians around here?

I gotta say, I like that Pedjoeang (freedom fighter) UU idea. Good for guerilla warfare. Is it possible for a custom civ to have more than two UU/UBs?

Also, I thought of something overnight about the State Univ. Like... depending on the ideology after adopting one it will also contribute to the production of Great Engineers (Order), Great Generals (Autocracy) and Great Artist/Merchant (Freedom)

Hey guys, thanks for the input. Abe - my concerns are that the state university is a bit OP, and not very flavorful (lots of places have state universities.) Also, your UA - the concept of Indonesia's religious diversity is already represented in the Candi...

Kul, I do like your UU. And I want to base the UA on the Five Precepts as well. I am interested in tying the culture bonuses to diplomacy though, to represent Indonesia's role in the Non-Aligned Movement.

Finally Abe, the mod will definitely alter the base game Indonesia in the ways that you mention.

If you want to to tied its UA towards the non-aligned movements, then perhaps a City States focus could do it? I mean, they can be seen as cities that are not competing for victory, which means not as dominant in archieving power. With that in mind, hows this?
Spoiler :

Indonesia
Capital: Jakarta

UA: Pancasila
Receive free random Social Policy upon opening a Social Policy Tree or adopting Ideology for the first time. For every 5 Social Policy/ Tenets that you had adopted, receive +5 Resting Point with City States. Farms with units stationed on them provides +1 Culture.

UU: Pedjoeang
Weaker (-3 STR) Indonesian replacement for Great War Infantry that might become invinsible in Jungle and Forest tiles, but will become a permanent when adjacent to Great Generals. Receive 50% more combat modifier from Great Generals as well (23% vs the usual 15%). When this unit was killed, receive Culture equal to 50% of its Production cost.

UB: Tugu
Replacement for National Epic. Can be built in all cities at a fixed cost (155 Production). Yield +3 Culture and boost Great People generation by 15% in the city. Birth and Expending a Great People grants a small Influence boosts with nearby city states.

About music (who's asking) how about these
Peace

Link to video.
War (it really takes the cake at around 1:56)

Link to video.

I like things, I like things, but I'm slightly confused as to this:

Am I missing a mechanic here? I'm not sure what becoming a permanent entails...

Ah,I know the explanation on that part is going to bite me in the rear once. What I imagined it were like, since it only might became invinsible when stationed in the jungle and forest, the existance of adjacent to Great General will make it always invinsible in jungle and forest.

Ah,I know the explanation on that part is going to bite me in the rear once. What I imagined it were like, since it only might became invinsible when stationed in the jungle and forest, the existance of adjacent to Great General will make it always invinsible in jungle and forest.

Makes sense. Still, though, wouldn't needing to be stationed next to a visible unit to be invisible sort of negate the purpose? Unless it also grants invisibility to the General... man, that's devious.

In all regards though, looking forward to a Sukarno's Indonesia. Should be very interesting, and should also work to appease my father, who has been complaining Indonesia wasn't Sukarno's since BNW came out :p

...honestly I've never thought about that part. But yeah, that could be very sneaky move indeed. Majapahit as "Indonesia" really seems to have grind people's gear, but all in all, Im just happy my country once get in.
Which brings me into this gut feeling that in Civ VI, I dont think they will make the cut, while Australia or Canada will.

Which brings me into this gut feeling that in Civ VI, I dont think they will make the cut, while Australia or Canada will.

Look on the bright side, more stuff to mod, eh? ;)

Hey guys, thanks for the input. Abe - my concerns are that the state university is a bit OP, and not very flavorful (lots of places have state universities.) Also, your UA - the concept of Indonesia's religious diversity is already represented in the Candi...

Kul, I do like your UU. And I want to base the UA on the Five Precepts as well. I am interested in tying the culture bonuses to diplomacy though, to represent Indonesia's role in the Non-Aligned Movement.

Finally Abe, the mod will definitely alter the base game Indonesia in the ways that you mention.

Very well then. You're welcome, and good luck with the project :goodjob:
By the way what's the peace and war theme music for PRC? I heard it ingame and it's like... wow... now I wanna search it on Youtube but dunno the names.

Top Bottom