Out-of-border roads. Who pays?

Who pays for roads that are out of my cultural boarders? Is each road tied to the worker that constructed it? Or are roads outside of borders just not paid for?

My questions was birthed when a city state on my continent demanded a road to my capital. But it would cost me 10 or more roads to get it to me. Most of them being through no-man's land. But I wasn't sure who would end up paying for them.

I started a game in medieval, built a road outside my borders, and saw a +1 tile maintenance appear on the tooltip so relatively sure, yes.

Really? I thought there was no maintenance for roads outside your borders. Are you sure about this?

100% sure. I just loaded a save (also checking a few other things) and built a road outside my borders and my tile maintenance increase 1 gpt. I then walked my worker over to an allied CS and built a road in his lands, and was charged no added upkeep.

.. neilkaz ..

After you build the road, you can remove it for no penalty. So, essentially you pay for the road to be built in worker turns and upkeep while it is in production. After that, you can remove it with no ill effects.

After you build the road, you can remove it for no penalty. So, essentially you pay for the road to be built in worker turns and upkeep while it is in production. After that, you can remove it with no ill effects.
You took the words right out of my mouth. Build the road and remove it. If it is really far then use more than 1 worker so you don't end up paying road fees for too long.

The builder pays but I believe if the road winds up under someone else's culture then the cost transfers to them.

A funny thing to try is to ruin the AI by slapping down pyramids and spamming railroads in their territory :lol:

Top Bottom