Over the Reich - McMonkey vs. JPetroski

Turn 70
-factory near Amsterdam destroyed
-2x factories near Rotterdam destroyed
-1x factory at Brussels damaged – 4x B-17 damaged
-Calais cleared of defenders but I take heavy losses
-Rottum attacked with no effect
-Aircraft factory near Amsterdam destroyed
-Mustangs descend on Jever – 4x 190s destroyed on the ground as well as a nearby radar unit. Other 190s are damaged
-Ophoven attacked with no effect, I lose a mustang
-190s attacked on the ground at Borken

Attachments

• AlliesTurn70.zip
    133.8 KB · Views: 116
Allies Turn 71
-Bremen destroyed by the RAF
-Karlesruhe destroyed by RAF
-Several targets in the Ruhr destroyed by the RAF, but we lose about 7 or 8 bombers to flak
-The RAF attack uses all the flak’s ammo – 2 factories, 1 oil refinery destroyed, other targets weakened
-Significant Axis assets are destroyed in the Pas de Calais
-significant air battle near Ostheim – 12x 190’s and 2x 110s destroyed. A large number of P-51s also fall.

Attachments

• AlliesTurn71.zip
    137.8 KB · Views: 119
Axis Turn 71

Four Lancasters shot down over Karlsruhe and one apiece over Bremen & Mannheim.

One B17 shot down by flak over Wommels AF.

In Northern France, three A26s & one P51 shot down by flak.

Over the Ruhr seven B17 & one P51 shot down & many other B17s crippled. One Fw190 lost.

Over Ostheim the Me262 Jet Fighters go into action for the first time and gain an upper hand over the, up until now, virtually invulnerable P51 Mustangs. Nineteen P51s shot down for the loss of three Me109s and one Fw190.

Attachments

• AxisTurn71.7z
    116.6 KB · Views: 124
This is EXACTLY what I needed to jumpstart things. Now I just need a little but of time to play and consider this significant development.

Turn 72
-Mannheim destroyed
-Frankfurt destroyed
-Hanover badly damaged
-Hamburg attacked
-Ju88 shot down near Mannheim
-Several Skdfz destroyed near Lille
-2x 190 and 1x 110 destroyed over Ruhr
-2x oil refineries destroyed in the Ruhr
-The Allied Invasion of Europe begins with the Allies landing in Calais!
-Cherbourg and Brest are heavily attacked.

Attachments

• AlliesTurn72.zip
    139.5 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:
Axis Turn 72

Nine Lancasters shot down over Frankfurt/Mannheim and another two over Hannover. One Beaufighter shot down near Karlsruhe. Over the Ruhr one P51 & four B17s shot down. One damaged B17 finished off over Wommels Airbase. One A26 shot down over Cherbourg.

Sorry again for the long delay. This week was a pain in the butt but I think I've sorted things out know. Do you have gypsies in the States? If you do then you might have an idea of the crap I've had to deal with. I won't make that mistake again!!!

Attachments

• AxisTurn72.7z
    118.8 KB · Views: 112
Allies Turn 73
-Bodilis AF captured
-Lison AF captured
-Longeau AF captured
-Cherbourg hammered but not broken
-Lille cleared of defenders
-Brest attacked
-Brussels factory attacked again but without effect

I'm making a rules change but I didn't take advantage of it this turn because I want you to be aware of it first. As it stands the 88s are almost invulnerable to all but 50+ attacks because they defend against air, which - in this scenario - also means they defend against artillery shells and ship shells. The change I've made is to make artillery and all ships direct attack units. I haven't changed their ranged attack - they can still do that and not risk being damaged themselves - but if a person wants to drag a battleship right up against the shore and attack directly, they can. Likewise, if you can get artillery in position, you can fire directly at the target, negating the x2 defense by air.

I am also intending to make a change to the points system (frankly, I'll be revisiting all of it) but I've already triggered the Red Army arrival. I think I forgot to put in a terrain change event so a land bridge hasn't opened, but I decided against opening it myself because I think 250 points past D-Day threshold is too few. I'm going to wait to change the bridge until 500. You can move your units however you'd like to account for this. I'd ask that you pretend there isn't anything sitting in the Russian Front to attack until 1500 total points, because in future versions, there won't be. This should also have the added benefit of making the strategic air war continue to be important. Perhaps by upping Russian Reinforcements or making the event truly awful in the future, it would really make there be an added benefit.

I don't think we have many gypsies here so I don't follow :) No worries about the length of time though, we're in the end game here and the quick 20 minute turns are over (I'm hoping the change to artillery and battleships will reduce the time a bit since almost all of these turns are me running A26 in to attack over and over and over and over again with no appreciable difference).

Attachments

• Allies73plusRules.zip
    154.4 KB · Views: 176
Axis Turn 73

Mosquito NF & Lancaster shot down over Hannover. P47 & A26 shot down over Paris. Two A26s shot down over Cherbourg. One Allied Infantry destroyed near Brest. One B17 shot down off the Dutch coast. One B17 & one P51 shot down over Belgium.

Attachments

• AxisTurn73.7z
    119.7 KB · Views: 177
Turn 74
-Hannover finished off
-Luneburg destroyed
-Kiel attacked. One urban center destroyed.
-Lille captured
-Cormeilles AF captured, Panzer division stationed there is destroyed
-Beauval AF captured
-Carpiquet AF captured
-Moult AF captured
-Industry at Brussels destroyed
-Cherbourg attacked; shore battery sinks battleship
-Various ineffective attacks throughout France

I will be traveling for business this week and won't be able to play again until the weekend. Sorry that these are taking so long - we are in the midst of trying to revamp whole processes at work and I'm spending a lot of time doing that.

Attachments

• AlliesTurn74.zip
    140.7 KB · Views: 170
Allied Turn 75
-Kiel finished off
-Brunswick attacked. One urban center destroyed and another heavily damaged
-Brest captured but significant surface vessels destroyed capturing it
-Paris is captured after very heavy fighting
-Elancourt AF is captured
-Woensdrecht AF captured
-Tornai AF captured
-Several Panzers destroyed near Lison
-Beaumont AF captured

I have to say even though I have landed in force and am not getting kicked out of the continent, I am not sure if I can actually win this scenario depending on what strategy you employ.

Attachments

• AlliesTurn75.zip
    141.9 KB · Views: 108
Turn 76
-Brunswick attacked and an urban center destroyed
-Lubeck attacked. One urban center destroyed and another badly damaged.
-Several German panzers destroyed near Brest
-Small German army destroyed near Cherbourg
-Radar destroyed near Brest
-Servon AF captured

Attachments

• AlliesTurn76.zip
    143.1 KB · Views: 176
@McMonkey Just a note: if you are having fun, I will continue to play. I am still having fun. With that being said, I think that the late game has caused some significant backlog and has turned things into a real grind with the way some of the units are balanced. It's also completely moved away from the whole aerial bombardment elements of "Over the Reich." Right now I'm basically building A26's and little else, so the scenario has completely changed.

I'm considering if it's even worth having the ground game or if it should be totally abstract and driven by the points system - gain so many points, start capturing cities (probably in coordinate boxes since you could build any number of airfields anywhere). This would free up additional units (all ground units except radar and flak), and keep the strategic bombardment relevant until the end of the game.

I would like to get to a point where we can start discussing our findings so @Prof. Garfield and I can start implementing some final changes. From my perspective, this playtest has been very informative. I don't mind continuing to play if you are having fun and want to see how this goes, but I also don't know that we're going to learn anything new from this, so perhaps we could start talking in the design thread about findings?

Axis Turn 76

I'm so sorry for the long delay & lack of communication. I won't insult you by churning out lame excuses. I was just being lazy & got caught up in other things. Hanging my head in shame!

I'm happy to see this scenario through & will try & speed up my responses. I think it's worth seeing through to the bitter end to gather as much data as possible.

Two Lancasters shot down over Lubeck & Brunswick & two Mosquito NF SE of Lubeck. There seems to be an error with the Mosquito NF's defensive fire script as a bot pops up & I take no incoming shots which I presume is the idea.

Over Rouen one A26 & one P47 shot down. Another A26 is shot down over Brittany. One Mosquito PR shot down over La Rochelle.

Attachments

• AxisTurn76.7z
    120 KB · Views: 159
Turn 77
-Luebeck attacked but not destroyed through cloud cover – the last urban center hangs on! Loss of one bomber.
-Rouen is captured after trying to whittle it down for 45 minutes……. Changes are being made to this scenario haha!
-Kellem AFB attacked with no effect
-Shore battery attacked on approach to St. Nazaire

--I'm fine with continuing to play to see what other data we can gather. I'm going to gather some thoughts in the meanwhile. I'm not convinced that the "core Civ2" city capture routine needs to be in this scenario at all. Lua allows some very interesting possibilities including expanding on the points system to do things like capture cities/territory at certain thresholds, or even decrease points/apply a penalty if certain units aren't killed within certain timeframes. I think the ground units:

1. Take too much time to move around;
2. Take far too much time to kill;
3. Detract from the air war in every conceivable way.

I'll think about it some more but will probably make a post with more substantial thoughts in the creation thread at some point in the near future. Tootall's Napoleon 1.1 is re-energizing me towards Civ ;)

Attachments

• AlliesTurn77.zip
    143.6 KB · Views: 109
Top Bottom