PBEM in 3.19

dr_s

Prince
Anyone done a PBEM game with PC players in 3.19? I'm trying to play in a game starting up and can't open the save. I could open a test save, but not the game save.

I get a protected assets error: "The save file you have selected is protected to ensure that the assets in your mod folder have not been changed." Is this expected or should it work? I don't think I've modified any of the assets in the BtS folder (i.e. I think I've backed out all the changes from installing BUG).

Any suggestions appreciated.

This occurred when I did a test when looking into your problems with BUG and PBEM. I was hoping it was a problem with my BtS installation, but haven't had time to investigate.

The asset locking mechanism calculates check sums across the executable and the Assets folder. Since these checksums do not match between the Mac and Windows versions of the software, Aspyr had to do some clever coding to allow locked assets Windows saves to be opened on the Mac and vice versa.

The fact that you are getting the same issue that I saw makes me suspicious that Aspyr have broken something in this area when releasing the 3.19 upgrade. Can you open a locked assets single player save created in Windows?

The fact that you are getting the same issue that I saw makes me suspicious that Aspyr have broken something in this area when releasing the 3.19 upgrade. Can you open a locked assets single player save created in Windows?

Can you point me to one somewhere on the forums, or make one for me to test? Thanks.

Here's one, created in 3.19 for Windows with no mods loaded - not even BlueMarble. I've confirmed that this fails to load in my Mac BtS.

I'm pretty sure that my Windows BtS is clean, as it created and loads the SGOTM 10 saves OK. They use BUFFY, but the assets check would fail on the standard assets as well if they had been corrupted.

Attachments

• Windows Locked Assets BC-4000.CivBeyondSwordSave
    31.9 KB · Views: 68
Same error here. I guess I'm stuck? The game creator sent me a test map I could open, and says the options are the same. Can't explain that.

Does the reverse hold? Can a locked-assets save created on a Mac be opened in BtS windows?

The game creator sent me a test map I could open, and says the options are the same. Can't explain that.
Was that the one you posted in the BUG discussion thread? If so, I don't think it had locked assets. I was able to open that one if I didn't have BUG in CustomAssets.
Does the reverse hold? Can a locked-assets save created on a Mac be opened in BtS windows?
I doubt it, but trying it now ... Nope, it fails. Not really surprising. If the checksums are wrong the mismatch will apply in both directions.

[UPDATE] I have raised a support ticket with Aspyr on this. If others do so as well, then perhaps they will take it seriously.

I have a PBEM running with BtS 3.19. I'm running my Mac with Snow Leopard, the other players run Windows. It works, but no admin password is set. In a democracy game, where the admin password is used, it is not possible to open the saves on the Mac.

I think that confirms the findings. Setting the admin password presumably locks the assets. It certainly does in a single player game.

Yeah, that's how we resolved it. Thanks for opening the ticket with Aspyr.

Was that the one you posted in the BUG discussion thread? If so, I don't think it had locked assets. I was able to open that one if I didn't have BUG in CustomAssets.

I doubt it, but trying it now ... Nope, it fails. Not really surprising. If the checksums are wrong the mismatch will apply in both directions.

[UPDATE] I have raised a support ticket with Aspyr on this. If others do so as well, then perhaps they will take it seriously.
I have also submitted a ticket with Aspyr support regarding this issue.

"I have been playing in a PBEM with 6 other players. Recently I installed CivIV (1.74), Warlords (2.13), and Civ BTS (3.19) on my Mac (MacBook Pro, Intel, Mac OS X 10.6.2 Snow Leopard) under the impression I would be able to play PBEM games. However, when I attempt to open my turn's game file, I receive the following error:

The save file you have selected is protected to ensure the assets in your mod folder have not been changed."

I had no feedback from my ticket, so I went to Aspyr Support and found that it had been closed and the status was 'resolved'. I have added a request for information on the resolution or workround for this problem.

Wow, that's sad. They never sent you any kind of notification?

Over the holiday, Aspyr support was closed and the site was unavailable. Today, I logged in to check the status of my ticket and it was closed without comment.

Here is my correspondence on the subject:

AlanH said:
Files created in Windows BtS v3.19 with Locked Assets will not open in the Mac version. And the same applies in the other direction.

The trick you did to get this to work in earlier versions required a lookup table to convert between the Mac and WIndows assets checksums. It looks as if you may have got the conversion table wrong when you upgraded to v3.19.

Please note that I am testing with no mods loaded in either Mac or Windows versions of BtS.
AlanH said:
I note that you have closed this ticket and described it as "Resolved". I have had no correspondence on this issue, and as far as I am aware there has been no resolution. Other users are experiencing the same problem.

Please advise what the resolution or workround is for this problem.
Aspyr Support said:
Hello Alan,

Thank you for contacting Aspyr Tech Support!

Please contact 2K Games support for any cross platform issues. They provide the original base code for the game so that we can port it for Mac users.

Feel free to contact us with any further comments or issues.

Thank you,

Aspyr Tech Support
AlanH to Take2 Support said:
Hello

I have raised a ticket with Aspyr as follows:

[snip] Copy of above messages [/snip]

It is my understanding that the Mac version of the game has to provide some internal workround in order for cross-platform locked assets games to work, since this capability is not built into the Firaxis game design. But Aspyr seems to think it is your problem even though they have provided the workround for previous versions, so I am contacting you for comment.

For background, I am the Mac forum moderator at forums.civfanatics.com, and I also administer the Game of the Month competitions there for Windows and Mac players. As far as I know, this problem affects all attempts to play cross-platform BtS games with locked assets - PBEM, succession, networked multiplayer, pitboss ...
Take2Support said:
Hi AlanH,

Your question has been received. You should expect a response from us within 72 hours.

Kind Regards,

Customer Support Take 2 Interactive
As a week has passed since the above message, I have sent a request for status.

UPDATE

My request to Take2 support for a status update produced the following classic script-monkey response:

Take2 support said:
Hello,

To further assist you with your issue we require you to send us a DXDIAG report from your computer. To do this:

- Hold down the Windows key on the keyboard and press "R".
- Type "dxdiag" and click OK.
- This will open the DirectX Diagnostic Tool.
- Click the Save All Information button at the bottom.
- Save the file to your Desktop with the name "dxdiag.txt".
- Reply to this email with this file attached.

Kind regards,

I replied:

AlanH said:
Thanks for your reply. I think you are missing the point entirely.

A. This is not about display issues, it, about problems with locked assets

B. The problem arises between the Windows and Mac versions of the software when a saved game file is transferred between them.

C. A Mac doesn't have a Windows key and it doesn't run DirectX.

D. Your developers or management need to talk to Aspyr to resolve this issue. It is NOT amenable to your standard diagnostic script.

Response from Take2 support:
Dear AlanH,

We don't support games installed on the Mac as Mac games are published by Aspyr, I have no information with regards to cross platform compatibility as we only support the PC version of the game.

I added a comment to my closed Aspyr ticket giving them Take2's previous response and pointing out that this ball is in their court. Aspyr have now *deleted* my ticket!

I've opened a new Aspyr ticket complaining about their deletion of my previous ticket, quoting the above Take2 message, and asking if we can now assume that cross-platform play is no longer supported for Beyond the Sword.

Thanks are only due if I achieve something. So far it's my head vs. two brick walls.

[UPDATE] ... and Aspyr have closed my new ticket without comment.

Soo...does anyone know what my recourse might be, now that I have purchased software that is worthless to me, since i'm playing in 15 PBEM games that have been going on for years and now must purchase it again for a BootCamp partition?

Alan, you ROCK! What terrible service from these companies.

I've had the same issue and will put in a ticker with Aspyr

Sorry, thetattoo...

Top Bottom