Photo guide to terrain, improvements, and city placement.

Very great guide Brokguitar! I've added some of your info that I had missed to my own guide (with due credit to you). I hope you don't mind. :goodjob:

I think you could possibly put this together in a pdf format for people to download, which might cut down on some of the bandwidth issues.

Muze,

You're right, sorry. I didn't quite get the gist of your question at first read. Still, I thik the basic concepts hold true. First city - settle where you can get the production bonus (I beleive any center city tile will produce at least two food and a commerce, so go for the production).

Beyond the first city you want to settle next to the bonus tile (NOT on) as it will give you more production if you can develop/work it.

I have seen Pigs on Hills before. A GREAT square to have near your capital or any city for that matter. I actually havent seen pigs on grass yet. I havent seen anything more that 6F (with techs and improvements).

Brokguitar is talking about base terrain in his guide, not features. The hill would be the feature, with a base terrain of grassland. I have seen pigs on grassland/hill and grassland/jungle, and most often grassland/hill/jungle. The one thing in common is always the base terrain of grassland.

brokguitar said:
There are a few limitations when settling a city. A city cannot be settled within 2 squares of another city and you cannot settle on impassible terrain.
Oasis are passible terrain but can't be improved nor a site for a new city which could be considered a form of improvement.

brokguitar said:
Sorry everyone for the bandwidth problem, I have had A lot of hits and exceeded the bandwidth for the month. I will put it as pdf but unsure how to do it. If someone can do it fairly easy, you are welcome to use the pics and the guide and will be given credit for the help.

Brokguitar,

if you e-mail me the files you have put together I'll be happy to complile a PDF for you.

damn, i dont have a printer but i can print this at the library and read it while im doing my security guard job :)

This is great information. I was wondering if it was practical to build on a resource. From your research I conclude that it is. The benefit of the extra production early on seems to be more valuable than waiting to "properly" develop the tile later.

clut said:
Brokguitar,

if you e-mail me the files you have put together I'll be happy to complile a PDF for you.

The only files i have are on this forum. If you can copy/paste them to a file, you are welcome to download the pics and use that to make a pdf file. Let me know what you need. Thanks

I'm currently making a pdf version of my own terrain guide, with nice clean charts to replace the huge clunky lists in the text version. I was wondering if I could use your screenshots and the info from this guide as well to make a fully comprehensive terrain guide. Do you mind, Brokguitar?

I just noticed something that eluded my attention the first time I scanned through this photo guide.

One of the screenshots shows a city founded on Ice, and another on Desert, neither of which normally has any production at all. Yet with a city on it, these tiles still produce the same 2-1-1 as most other terrain types?

If that is so, then it seems to me it would be a sensible strategy to place some cities on the least valuable tiles in the area. Over the long run, the city site would thus have one more useful tile, which would otherwise be unused Desert or Ice.

This also strikes me as exploit-ish...the sort of thing that ought to be addressed in a future patch or mod.

-- Kevin​

This is 100% correct KevinTMC, you do get normal city production when founding a city on an unproductive tile. I wouldn't really call this an exploit, just another aspect of game strategy. Any way to turn a useless tile into a productive one is a good thing in my opinion.

KevinTMC said:
I just noticed something that eluded my attention the first time I scanned through this photo guide.

One of the screenshots shows a city founded on Ice, and another on Desert, neither of which normally has any production at all. Yet with a city on it, these tiles still produce the same 2-1-1 as most other terrain types?

If that is so, then it seems to me it would be a sensible strategy to place some cities on the least valuable tiles in the area. Over the long run, the city site would thus have one more useful tile, which would otherwise be unused Desert or Ice.

This also strikes me as exploit-ish...the sort of thing that ought to be addressed in a future patch or mod.

-- Kevin​
Well it merely means when judging city spots you look ONLY at the tiles around the city.

Stuporstar said:
I'm currently making a pdf version of my own terrain guide, with nice clean charts to replace the huge clunky lists in the text version. I was wondering if I could use your screenshots and the info from this guide as well to make a fully comprehensive terrain guide. Do you mind, Brokguitar?

Been working and havent had much time to update the guide with some new stuff Ive found. Suporstar feel free to use the pics and info for a pdf guide. Ive got more pics coming and new info unposted, should be up shortly.

P.S. kinda want to wait and see how this patch effects everything.

This thread is great... but how often do you need all this info? I mean, the computer shows you the best place to settle with the blue circles right? I did read in the walkthrough that the computer will blue circle spaces 1 away from a shore and that is a no-no (place the city on the shore). If that is the case than why doesn't the computer place the blue circle on the shore. Why have the blue circle at all if it's not an accurate suggestion? Confused. :(

id always build on strategic resources, why? because it cant be pillaged if you build on top of it.
They need to pillage 8 roads when you build on it

Top Bottom