Pick your Poison: A Mafia Game

Courtesy of CCRunner:

Dum. Badadum. Babababababadum. (Cue general drum sounds)

The sound of the assembled drums beat steadily. All around stretched the lines of the accused, winding back and forth through the jeering crowd. All manner of people stood, heads down and hands tied—young stood with old, man stood with woman, the poor stood with the rich. In death, all were equal.

Pirates Mafia, they were called. And some of them were. The others though were merely victims of a system that pushed down everybody and punished whole families for the crimes of the long dead ancestors. Honest merchants who had never stolen anything in their life, now stood in line to hang for the crime of not casting out any and all refuse that came begging at their door.

Dum. Badadum. Babababababadum.

Up to the gallows marched another procession of prisoners. What crimes had they committed? wondered the crowd. Interrupting their reverie though came a small voice, the voice of one Love. Singing a sad song that the GM can’t remember exactly what it was and can’t get online to check (Said GM does know it was piratey though), one voice pierced the silence of the crowed. To his left and to his right, his fellow condemned men began to sing as well.

Flustered, the Govenor motioned to the magistrate, who began to list off the crimes of the accused. A solitarty figure approached the magistrate, gave a short bow, and then pushed his way into the center of the crowd heading straight for the gallows. For a second, the drums stopped.

The figure flung his sword into the gallows just as the executioner let the trapdoor fall, in a brilliant show of foreshadowing since that same figure had been told that skill would come in handy not two hours of movie time earlier. By the man that was about to be hanged no less. Freaky, I know.

Love caught his feet on the sword, an act which saved his neck, literally. He jumped down, and cut his hands free. The two conspirators ran off
towards the cliff but where ultimately surrounded by the members of the Town who for some reason were all dressed as British Redcoats. Then they got shot and died.

Spoiler :
Love was Innocent!

One by one, the Redcoats removed their hats out of respect for the fallen.

“Well, I guess that’s that” said one of them, a certain TheForestAuro

“Indeed it is” replied another, this one by the name of Sparrow55

“Shall we?” came the response

“After you, my good sir”

With that, the two mafia rounded on TheLastOne36 and Drumstudent and promptly shot both of them dead.

“Let us now go out and celebrate in typical British fashion with tea and crumpets and have a good whatever it is British people do in these situations”

“Yes, let’s”

The two figures rode off into the distance.
MAFIA VICTORY

1. Catharsis (1,1) Cop
2. Seon (4,1) Cop
3. Tahkisis (5,2) Bulletproof
4. Zack (2,1) Vengeful Lynchee
5. Methos (2,3) Vengeful Lynchee
6. Camikaze (2,4) Roleblocker
7. DrumStudent (2,4) Bulletproof
8. TFA (2,4) Governor
9. Choxorn (3,1) Roleblocker
10. Civplayah (3,2) Tiebreaker
11. Nictel (3,4) Bulletproof
12. TLO (3,5) Townie
13. Sparrow55 (3,5) Vengeful Lynchee

Some explanation of General game stuff—

I knew that the mafia would have a major advantage with the two roles they ended up with, so I wanted to handicap them a little, but not to much since there was going to be a cop, roleblocker and bulletproof for sure since those are all good roles. To do that, I made it so that they had a limited number of kills each—in this case, 2. This is why there was no kill on that final night—since Zack had both of his kills when he died, TFA and Sparrow had only 4 kills between them and ran out that last night. Effectively, it gave the town an extra day to catch the mafia. I think the early death of Catharsis helped the mafia team out immensely. Also, special mention goes to Camikaze who blocked both TFA and Sparrow, but on the alternate nights of their kills :p

All in all, I think it was generally a well balanced game, maybe a bit leaning toward the mafia, but not unwinnable by the town. After that first day, pretty much everything went right for them, which is why they won obviously.

The mafia was TFA? Wow, I REALLY Didn't see that coming. I mean, he only voted for Takhisis on flimsy reasoning.

:rolleyes:

TFA's so slick he can control every vote since the first day, get a bulletproof townie and a member of the Zack bandwagon (civplayah) lynched, and still somehow draw no suspicion. Oh well, fair play to him. :p Also nice job to Sparrow, who I certainly never suspected.

No well dones for Zack because I scanned him guilty on the first night :mwaha:

My role pick was really awful - I should've gone for bulletproof or something unimportant like Bus Driver, seeing as how I was right up at the top of the list and all, sticking out like a sore thumb, but I was afraid that something similar to what happened in Sasaki Kojiro's game would happen here (that is, everyone picks bulletproof and the silly roles, and leaves cop, doctor, roleblocker alone). It sort of did, too (no-one picked doctor? but it's such a fun role to play! I would've picked it but I sort of needed doctor protection myself ;) and no-one picked tracker, which is genuinely surprising) but given that Seon also picked cop, he would've been a much better choice for the role. Camikaze, apparently, would've been an excellent roleblocker if CC hadn't been playing silly games with the mafia kills. :mischief:

Yeah, I suspected TFA and Sparrow...so blocked both of them on different occasions. But then the mafia still killed on both occasions, so they couldn't have been the mafia, right? :p

In retrospect, how dumb were we for letting the mafia lynch the bulletproof role and got away with barely a vote against them.

I liked how you defended civplayah against that charge; that was quite classy, TFA. :) Kudos.

Question for TLO: did you specifically pick 'townie' as your role, as Methos's post suggests?

Yes, I don't like being mafia, i think it's more fun to be innocent, but I didn't want to take someone else's role so I just replied "Make me a normal townie" to CCRunner.

I feel bad for not being more active in this game.

You were at the bottom of the list, pretty much any pick would have been taken.

I picked roleblocker cause it was the only one I actually wanted that I thought there was a chance someone above me wouldn't take.

Thanks to Methos, who posted the update even though I gave neither him nor renata any warning at all :(

Also, good game mafia, congratulations

Maybe this was a bit lamed up because you had the misfortune to do it while Camikaze's LotR game was reaching its climax :(

Top Bottom