Please remove "point-Production"

BlastDuke

Always hungry
I am playing Civ4Col for 1 week now, I have already won my first game on Conquistador level (with a rather big colony). For me the game is fun, although I am eagerly awaiting a patch regarding the urgent need to re-balance and fine-tune this game.

But there is one concept that should be removed from the game immediately:
The "production" of exploration/religious/trade/military/political points.

This feature seems to be "copied" from Civ4 where cities can produce culture/wealth instead of building units (I love this feature in Civ4 and it makes perfectly sense there).
But it refuse to understand how lumberjacks&carpenters can "produce" something like exploration points by just staying in the colony (cutting wood all day). It feels just bad that the many FFs in my colonies joined me because I had the best wood producing capabilities of all colonies in the New World.
What do you think?

The way i see is a fishermen goes to the coast to fish each day, Before fishing or after fishing he has a little time so we works on the dock to make his life easy after forty you have a dock, or you could have him work on the dock full time and get it do in like 10, (three or four as a lumberjack and 6-7 as a carpenter)

And one point is not really game breaking IMHO

I can understand how the OP feels. The point production feels a bit off, compared to building research, culture and wealth in Civ4. Points in Civ4Col are something much more abstract than Civ4's concepts, so generating the former feels a bit awkward.

However, it's a design choice, and I doubt it'll be fundamentally changed in patches. The only option is to mod them out yourself. It's probably just a matter of finding the items in the XML files and deleting them.

Towns cannot be abandoned but each town produces one /°.
So, there is litte reason to build anything in towns where your labourers merely gather resources.

Carpenters produce banners(political points), crosses(religious points), coffers(exploration+trade points) and coffins(military points). But that would be a little too graphic. :eek:

I completely agree. To get Trade points you should have to trade etc etc. The only possible problem is with Exploration points because once you've explored the whole map you would have no way to increase them.

I always find myself with 500000000 more exploration points than I need.

I agree... i always end up with a bajillion exploration points; and remember you also get exploration points by building docks/drydocks/shipyards.

While i dislike the idea of "building points" as well, the way the game is balanced right now it is a much needed feature.

Right now building gallows is the only way to get a few early Founding Fathers without actually harming your cause. Because making these early from LB does harm me more through REF explosion, than any FF is worth - with the possible exception of Menuit who's cheap and great.

Within the CIV4FatherPointInfos.xml (XML/GameInfo) file each FatherPointInfo element has a iProductionConversionPoints child element whose value is used to convert hammers to points. Simply set this to zero if you dislike this feature.

I am playing Civ4Col for 1 week now, I have already won my first game on Conquistador level (with a rather big colony). For me the game is fun, although I am eagerly awaiting a patch regarding the urgent need to re-balance and fine-tune this game.

But there is one concept that should be removed from the game immediately:
The "production" of exploration/religious/trade/military/political points.

This feature seems to be "copied" from Civ4 where cities can produce culture/wealth instead of building units (I love this feature in Civ4 and it makes perfectly sense there).
But it refuse to understand how lumberjacks&carpenters can "produce" something like exploration points by just staying in the colony (cutting wood all day). It feels just bad that the many FFs in my colonies joined me because I had the best wood producing capabilities of all colonies in the New World.
What do you think?
I think it forces you to make a trade-off... Will I build his building now, or do I want to race for that special FF. As you have the option to do both, the game gets more interesting as more options open up to you.

I think the way you describe it as not making sense is understandable and a valid point. I do think however that you are overrationalising this game.

I think it forces you to make a trade-off... Will I build his building now, or do I want to race for that special FF. As you have the option to do both, the game gets more interesting as more options open up to you.
You're right, the principle of "more options makes the game better" always applies. But IMO there are already enough interesting options (example for 2 colonists):
option 1) Go for buildings and use 2 colonists to construct them faster
option 2) Play balanced and use 1 colonist for construction and 1 in town hall for FF
option 3) Go for FF and put 2 colonists in the town hall.
The "I make political points by cutting wood" option is too "artificial" for me, I think I will modify the CIV4FatherPointInfos.xml as Polobo (thank you) described, but this wil not help me in any multiplayer game where I will have to reset my .xml
I do think however that you are overrationalising this game.
IMO this is just a poorly copied concept (wealth/culture production) from Civ4 that has no place in Col2. No everything that works in Civ(4) works in Col(2), and Col2 is definitely not a Civ4 MOD but a unique and very different game.
I try to keep it a game, though - but it feels like a religion :worship:

I agree with the OP. If it wasn't for this feature you get the FF which are suitable for your playing style. It gives the factions some character. But this is a personal preference. For this reason the only points you should be able to produce should be political points.

Maybe not converts Hammers into Points but convert Bells into points? This would mean that just producing Bells would give you less PP than it does now, but when you select PP in your constructionscreen they will convert 100% to PP. Hammers will become irrelevant, so wood/hammer producing colonist can be re-assigned.

I simply try to avoid building point, except for those colonies who really have nothing useful to construct.

Top Bottom