• Rape

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Murder

Votes: 36 54.5%
  • Not sure

Votes: 9 13.6%

• Total voters
Originally posted by Becka

I knew someone would ask that. I mean you could plead that way, depending on the circumstances and depending if it could look like an accident. "The gun went off accidentally while we were arguing" vs. "I bumped into her on the street, fell on her, and accidentally raped her."

Mmh... I may be wrong, 'cause english is not my native tongue, but it seems to me that a killing is called "accidental homicide" if it's not intentionnal, while the intentionnal killing is called "murder".

Good, then there's no discussion :)

Oh, and another thing : the poll was about "which is worse". Not only from a moral point of view, murder is worse, but I would also say that from the victim's point of view, even fully intentionnal rape is better than totally unintentionnal death (for the majority of people at least, I know there is some that just would be just as dead after a rape than after a physical killing ; but they are a tiny minority).

The question is, to my point of view, which crime hurts the victim more. If rape would cause more damage, wouldn't it mean that the humane thing to do is to kill rape victims?

Murder is worst.

Originally posted by duke o' york
Murder is defined by the premeditation. This is what lawyers must often strive so hard to prove as the simple causing of someone's death is manslaughter. If you intended to kill them then you're a murderer.

Murder requires "intent to kill" which is not the same as premeditation. The presence of premeditation (ie. making a plan as to how to perform the killing which you intend) is the difference between first and second degree murder.

Originally posted by ainwood
I can't say that I agree with your logic there!

Why not? I'm not saying they should be killed, I'm saying that IF rape was worst than murder it would mean that the damage done to someone murdered is smaller, and thus it's better to be dead than to live with the memory and consequences of a rape. And since it's not true, I get to the conclusion that murder is worst. Mathematicaly prooved :D

The question is, to my point of view, which crime hurts the victim more. If rape would cause more damage, wouldn't it mean that the humane thing to do is to kill rape victims?

I'm just throwing a guess out here, but getting killed can't feel great can it? :)

Originally posted by G-Man

Why not? I'm not saying they should be killed, I'm saying that IF rape was worst than murder it would mean that the damage done to someone murdered is smaller, and thus it's better to be dead than to live with the memory and consequences of a rape. And since it's not true, I get to the conclusion that murder is worst. Mathematicaly prooved :D

A = Murder consequences, B = Rape Consequences, C = Damage done.

Aim is to minimise C.

Your logic: If B > A, Then commit A as well.

However, if B > A, then (B + A) > A, and C is higher than for B alone (unless A is -ve).

Overall, find some measure "D" which is negative, and follow A or B with D to minimise C.

D could be councilling, or reincarnation for case A.
:D

They are both horrific crimes, but their consequences are so different it is like trying to compare apples and oranges.

Originally posted by ainwood

A = Murder consequences, B = Rape Consequences, C = Damage done.

Aim is to minimise C.

Your logic: If B > A, Then commit A as well.

However, if B > A, then (B + A) > A, and C is higher than for B alone (unless A is -ve).

Overall, find some measure "D" which is negative, and follow A or B with D to minimise C.

D could be councilling, or reincarnation for case A.
:D

You forgot something - B is growing as long as the person is alive, and A stops that growth.

You forgot something - B is growing as long as the person is alive, and A stops that growth.

1) You can't know if A grows or not.

2) As A is complete and absolute removal of any happiness the person could ever had, it happens that A has infinite value. So A > B :)

No mercy for rapists or killers, I say. They are the filthiest filth of this planet, and they should be allowed to rotten up in forced solitude, behind bars.

Originally posted by Akka

Mmh... I may be wrong, 'cause english is not my native tongue, but it seems to me that a killing is called "accidental homicide" if it's not intentionnal, while the intentionnal killing is called "murder".

Well I don't know what you want me to say. :confused:

2) As A is complete and absolute removal of any happiness the person could ever had, it happens that A has infinite value. So A > B :)

That was my point :goodjob:

Originally posted by Becka
Well I don't know what you want me to say. :confused:

I mean that a murder, by its very definition, CAN'T be unintentionnal.

I mean that a murder, by its very definition, CAN'T be unintentionnal.

I know, but I was saying that you might PLEAD it was unintentional. Just forget it, I don't remember what I even said before. I've slept since then. :crazyeye:

Top Bottom