Post a (tough) Deity map for me to play

@Lain, for a different type of challenge, have you ever considered trying the Dan Quayle mod? Basically its the American Civ led by Dan Quayle, but instead of a better UU and UI, you get worse ones (like 1/2 speed workers)

@Lain, for a different type of challenge, have you ever considered trying the Dan Quayle mod? Basically its the American Civ led by Dan Quayle, but instead of a better UU and UI, you get worse ones (like 1/2 speed workers)

Does it have a new, idiotic quotation for all techs to accompany the Future Tech one?

Hunting - "You all look like happy campers to me. Happy campers you are, happy campers you have been, and as far as I'm concerned, happy campers you will be."
Meditation - "What a waste it is to lose one's mind. Or not having a mind is being very wasteful. How true that is."
Education - "Quite frankly, teachers are the only profession that teach our children."
Banking - "Bank failures are caused by depositors who don't deposit enough money to cover losses due to mismanagement."
Constitution - "We shouldn't be burdened with all the technicalities that come up from time to time with shrewd, smart lawyers interpreting what the laws or the Constitution may or may not say"
Democracy - "I believe we are on an irreversible trend toward more freedom and democracy---but that could change."
Satellites - "Space is almost infinite. As a matter of fact, we believe it is infinite" or "It's time for the human race to enter the solar system."
Civil Service - "I just don't believe in the concept that someone should make their whole career in public service."

Last edited:
spoilers for part 2
Spoiler :

Why did none of the AIs research feudalism? that's so bizarre. I've never seen that, even on lower difficulty levels they beeline to feudalism. And it's not like they were all peaceful or teching slowly, either.

This is a challenging start for saladin on deity I just pulled myself and am going to try and probably miserably fail, if you're interested to play it here you go.

Spoiler :

Attachments

• saladindeity.CivBeyondSwordWBSave
    380.4 KB · Views: 57
  • unknown (1).png
    unknown (1).png
    783.2 KB · Views: 133
@Lain
Do you have a starting save for your Fredrich game? (It's the last game you have without funky settings. :D )

Not because I won with the Charly map, but because rolling unmodded hard Deity maps (especially on the level of that Charly map) is a lot more time and effort than rolling NC maps. On top of that the hardest maps are more a show of what the civ IV RNG can generate than an actually playable map, see Lain's attempted playthrough of the craziest Charly map, and as far as hard playable maps go there's a few scattered around NC if you play on Deity. If you're looking for one I'd recommend the latest Toku game, but that basically goes without saying ;).

That all said if you really want to generate unreasonably unfair maps I'd recommend rolling random Fractal maps on Cold Climate. It's like more than 1:100 to get an awful map, whereas the Charly map was 1:10000 IIRC.

Several of us have already had fun with it in the Toku Deity Raging Barbs thread, but it would be interesting to see how you tackled it, when going in blind. It's certainly tough :)

For reference, the start looks like this:
Spoiler :

Settings are:
  • Deity
  • Tokugawa
  • Raging Barbs
  • Low sea level
  • Fractal, no huts/events
The save is attached in that thread, but I've added it here too.

Attachments

• Happy Toku BC-4000.CivBeyondSwordSave
    48.6 KB · Views: 43
You still playing civ4 @Lain ? :)

Was sifting through some old NC games yesterday trying to find motivation in some map and then I just rolled a random fractal map with random leader, thinking I would play whatever.
Got Charlemange! Already the game wants to give me a challenge.

Then I see this start:
Spoiler Starting screenshot :

Not at all hopeless, low on food it seems, but lots of green. There are other challenges waiting in the dark too. (No nasty Shaka/Monty/Genghis! Promise!)
Civ4ScreenShot0002.JPG

Attachments

• AutoSave_Initial_BC-4000.CivBeyondSwordSave
    72.7 KB · Views: 60
@Lain Good to hear! Things are rocking here.
Random map or something from the thread? Don't forget to post starting save here if you play something of your own, I love shadowing and then watching your videos and comparing notes at various checkpoints.

*EDIT* Oh! The charly map I posted! Enjoy! */EDIT*

Last edited:
@Lain
Do you by any chance have the starting save for the Justinian game you streamed 18th april last year?
I saw that it was a Iso map, and justinian in iso is always fun.
Fur/Whale on the starting screenshot looks so lovely too! :D

Ah, no problem.
I have some small things as feedback for your current game, things that might have worked out better.
No spoilers just early game stuff, but I hide it anyway in case you want to save it for post-game analysis. :)
Spoiler :

I think mining->BW would have been better to get those crucial settlers out just abit quicker.

Then I kind of like your decision to not settle city#2 untill you where ready or forced, but I _think_ that is what cost you the spot where Mehmed settled Bursa.
In my game, I settled city#2 by the river and hoped to get the wheat with a monument, I valued the insta-connection. And it could be that my settlement of that city abit earlier than your city, is what made Mehmed settle Bursa way up north in my game.

Third thing. I think Calendar is a better choice than Monarchy here really. I get completely why you went for monarchy, it's something we do almost every game, but here I think Calendar comes out on top.
Medi+PH+Monarchy is 743 beakers, Math+Calendar is 1013, so it's not that much more expensive, and it give +2 happines in every city for free, no warriors needed and no upkeep cost.
But the real killer is those tiles, the spices are nice up north, but the incense is just absurdly good.
Also, there is still the opportunity to get Monarchy from Mehmed abit later.

Edit.
Oh, btw, I love Mehmeds play in your game! :D
"Monarchy...? Nah... size5 capital is just fine. Currency? PPPPff, I need machinery!"

Edit2.
OMG! He goes Engineering too, woah!

Last edited:
That was hilarious! AIs usually love to go early Monarchy, so I was perplexed why Mehmed didn't. It helps them out so much!! Glad he didn't, tho, because I wasn't aware there was such an absurd amount of land available to him. Okay, much of it is kinda crap, but Deity AIs can make anything work because they have very low unit/civic/distance/city costs.

Top Bottom