Pots and pans

Crap I should head to bed bath and beyond then. Maybe I'll pay a visit to the local giant mall too

edit: just found this, but it's pricy

If this brand is so awesome I will continue trying to find one for sale somewhere in the great white north

I also found this Calphalon Tri-Ply Stainless Steel 10-Piece Cookware Set, it seems they will ship to Canada for $10, "$200 off", but they might slap me with a stupid border fee or whatever. That's something I'd need to google. Other than though, is this the sort of thing I'm after? Cause for $300, I think I'd bite.

Calphalon and All-Clad are huge sellers. I'm sure any major department store will have them. Costco should too.

Cuisinart also makes similar "multiclad" products.

The only thing I don't really like that much about the Calphalon sets are the glass covers instead of SS.

I am a big believer in having weight. Black Iron is one tried and true approach. Properly maintained it is non-stick and gives useful quantities of iron in your diet. You can heat it to almost 1000° to sear a steak or do top rate stir fry. They are inexpensive and close to indestructible, just never clean with soap.

For boiling a cheap pan works as well as Allclad. I like stock pot style, with 2 riveted handles. They come in both steel and aluminum. However, simple enamelware is fine. The real question comes for slow cooking with less moisture. Again, both enamelware and cast iron are good choices, since they are also oven proof. If you want to get enameled iron, such as le Cruset, knock yourself out.

What you do not want to do is get some sort of nonstick, 7 pieces for $59 junk. You would be better off hitting the flea markets, barn sales or thrift stores. Again, weight is good.

If you like tri-clad, such as All-clad, consider this http://www.walmart.com/search/searc...ware&ic=16_0&Find=Find&search_constraint=4044

If you want copper, PM me. I can make you a deal on a good set.

J

Crap I should head to bed bath and beyond then. Maybe I'll pay a visit to the local giant mall too

edit: just found this, but it's pricy

This one is a touch less expensive, and it is from B, B, & B's Canada site so I imagine you shouldn't get hit w/ any import duties and the like.

There's nothing particularly special about Calphalon... they're pots.

Not really sure why you seem to be insisting on a set when you very likely only need a handful of extra pots/pans at most. Seriously, read fifty's post.

I agree with this mostly.

Calphalon is good solid aluminum, but the anodizing costs quite a bit, so overpriced. I see no good reason for it and they are not oven safe. Don't go near their nonstick line. At most get 2-3 lidded sauce pans. Getting a whole set is just for looks.

J

There's nothing particularly special about Calphalon... they're pots.

Not really sure why you seem to be insisting on a set when you very likely only need a handful of extra pots/pans at most. Seriously, read fifty's post.

I have like 4-5 pots right now and maybe 4 pans. I'd throw all them out and replace them with new stuff, which is why I'm looking at sets. Throw out 9 things, replace with 5 things, seems the way to go to me. I wouldn't get a set with 20 things in it, but am open to whatever you want to suggest. If you don't think sets are the way to go, by all means voice your pot and pan position accordingly without assuming that I will discard your suggestion because I'm addicted to sets. Sets are just good if you are looking to get a set of something.

If fifty is posting under a different alias these days, I have no idea what it is.

This one is a touch less expensive, and it is from B, B, & B's Canada site so I imagine you shouldn't get hit w/ any import duties and the like.

Hey, that looks very reasonable.

But now I think I want a cast iron skillet for frying stuff in.

Even though the list price is $500? Or do you mean a set with less stuff in it?
No. I'm saying something comparable to the set you found for $300 can be had for closer to $200 with even more pieces.

Cuisinart MCP-12N MultiClad Pro Stainless Steel 12-Piece Cookware Set

Emeril by All-Clad E914SC64 PRO-CLAD Tri-Ply Stainless Steel Dishwasher Safe 12-Piece Cookware Set

I'd personally go with the SS tops instead of the glass ones. Besides likely being more durable, they are also oven-safe to 550 degrees instead of 350 degrees.

A 10-12" cast iron frying pan is essential. The best ones are bought used at a yard sale for a few dollars. They are already seasoned perfectly. A carbon steel wok is next; a skillet type handle is nice. Bamboo steamers will stack nicely in a wok for cooking artichokes or dumplings. After that buy a few sauce pans. Lastly, spring for a nice small omelet pan for fried eggs or a single grilled cheese sandwich. Steel or stainless steel works great.

If fifty is posting under a different alias these days, I have no idea what it is.
The link in post #2. It is good advice.

I have like 4-5 pots right now and maybe 4 pans. I'd throw all them out and replace them with new stuff, which is why I'm looking at sets.

Is there something wrong with them? If they're not non-stick, throwing them out seems terribly wasteful, every non-nonstick pot/pan is going to be equally good at boiling water, so there's only really any reason to get pots/pans for things other than boiling water.

Sets are just good if you are looking to get a set of something.

Yeah, but then you're stuck with a set someone else has assembled. I similarly recommend against knife sets, you end up with a bunch of knives you don't use and lower quality for the knives you spend most of the time using.

Link in the first reply to the thread.

But now I think I want a cast iron skillet for frying stuff in.
I'd get a cast iron grill pan instead.

You an still fry in it, even though it takes a bit more oil. But you can also grill steaks, pork chops, and chicken. Better yet, get one of each since they are so cheap.

And speaking of frying, I just love my Fry Daddy:

It is great for making french fries and Buffalo wings.

Actually, I usually grill steaks outside.

And this is the only acceptable way to cook bacon:

Yeah, but the plus of grilling outside is that you can shut the grill, only way to get similar steak indoors is in the oven.

I have no idea what that thing is, but it looks like some kind of microwaving stand. Slow-cooking bacon pretty consistently gets the best result, baking and grilling are both excellent, but pan-frying at low heat is a bit less work.

What I have

Is stickyness going to be an issue? I don't think I want teflon.
Henckels has a factory store sale every Summer in northern GTA. You might want to take note of that if you want relatively higher quality cooking ware.

No. I'm saying something comparable to the set you found for $300 can be had for closer to $200 with even more pieces.

You should remember though that I live in Canada, where things are generally a bit more expensive than in the U.S.

I am going to have to see how the stuff at the Costco here is priced. I have a feeling I might run into some good deals. Then I can research the brands and go from there.

I have a feeling that I am going to have to research each different type of pot and pan individually though, which I guess rules out sets. Which is unfortunate, because I'm generally lazy.

Cast iron is a must, so I guess I'll start hunting after one of those first. Then maybe I can buy a smaller set of good cookware to complement it? Cause you know.. lazy. I think that might be a good compromise.. yeah.

Thanks y'all, I'll keep you updated, and of course keep your posts coming

edit: I will read fifty's post

Rather than throwing out your old ones, give them away on Freecycle.org or to a charity. They're probably still useful.

Top Bottom