President Thread- Term 2

and a preemptive reply to any posts suggesting I do the foreign stuff...

I do not have time with an 11 hour work plus commute plus 2 young kids. I post mainly from work and only when i am not out in the field collecting water quality data and fish population data.

Also I have a temper and can really tick people off in diplo.( lesson learned the hard way)

BCLG and Croxis will be back tommorrow. Any decision on this will have to wait until then. But diplomacy, like everything else, should be a team effort. Maybe anyone can propose an email by posting it, after getting some input from the team it can be revised and sent on its way.

well I am here, but i am really in and out (us lab attendants do manual labor during break)

I know I more or less did a crappy job this term and for that I apologize. my plan is just to email BAT and offer IW in exchange for... I'd have to look up what we think they have but I want to get a trade deal done.

Im here now but am moving back to uni at the weekend so may not be able to spend the most amount of time about.

I dont really understand what all the fuss is about. I explained how the city building could work and i assumed everyone was ok with that when they realised we could be pumping out a GS soonish. The red dot is way too far away to be really considered as a decent city until at the very least courthouses.

Or is it to do with the foreign policy? i try to keep out of it and just play the game, however at this point all attempts at an alliance seem to have gone to poo so i like 1889's start in another thread about starting the whole tech deal ideas again :)

I dont really understand what all the fuss is about. I explained how the city building could work and i assumed everyone was ok with that when they realised we could be pumping out a GS soonish. The red dot is way too far away to be really considered as a decent city until at the very least courthouses.

Perhaps not everyone agrees with your explanation ;).

Site 2 is "no pain no gain" to me. It doesn't cost much to settle there, but it doesn't bring much either: after a long period of slow development, a decent GP farm and a moderately effective commerce/science town.

Red dot obviously has its disadvantages, mainly the maintenance. We had a situation like that in SGOTM 2, a city on the other side of the world, and the maintenance was something like 7 or 8 gpt. A lot, but certainly not crippling. Red dot is not even on the other side of the world, so maintenance should be a lot lower, and it has floodplains with cottages and a gold resource to compensate.

The real trouble is that site 2 can be settled whenever we want, but red dot will be taken by another civ if we don't go there soon. And that civ, most likely BAT, will grow very strong, and will be our neighbor. They will get iron, we may be left without. I am not looking forward to that situation.

Yup preciate that but im sure everyone knows what an arse playing SGOTM 2 was like with that extra city, we shouldnt force ourselves into it.

However thats the thing about diplomacy in these games is that we can agree no settle lines- if we get arses into gear in the ministry thread we can maybe secure that area for the future- all we need to do is talk to GCA (who seem pretty willing to allow it) and BAT(could be fun)

BC is right....you will hurt our research with the added expense on that city at this time. our 2nd city from now is fine. if we build a city between the present borders and that "iron" city. you guys are stuck in civ3 mode. You cant do this in civ 4 unless you are playing the AI.

ALSO we havent reveiled all of our surrounding area...one black tile could have iron. I got bit with that a few times.

I ran a little test. The extra maintenance cost of red dot would amount to 6 gpt (from 1 gpt to 7 gpt). More than I expected, but not enormous, and only a temporary setback. The extra maintenance cost of site 2 is 3 gpt (from 1 gpt to 4 gpt). Taking into account that red dot can generate income far more easily (1 gpt right away, and more when it grows and is land is improved), the difference is not that big.

Right so how about we try and organise what i did an example of? if someone gets on the blower to GCA and BAT then we can settle the area with the food first and use the scientists from that to cover the drop in research rate following the settling of red dot.

BAT has not settled a single city yet btw. What are they doing?

There is discussion about maintenace but what about defence. It would be a fairly remote location and very close to 2 other teams

yeah we woudl have to send at minimum two good defenders since we could not reinforce it with out a about 10 turns of walking up there.

( building a road up that way outside of our cultural borders woudl just give our enemies a faster route to us .

Or a galley to ferry troops would go twice as fast, but it's still a long way.

Sooooooooooo,

current options:
Red - Iron, but very far away, will cripple our economy
Site Two - GP farm, but will need the grand amount of 2 workboats supplied by another city (capital), and will need a library that can be whipped.
1NW of Site Two - Why actually?

Vote?

BTW - could we scout a bit west of Fever River to check what's there

do we really need to vote...appears quite clear where we should go.

Red - Iron, but very far away, will cripple our economy
Site Two - GP farm, but will need the grand amount of 2 workboats supplied by another city (capital), and will need a library that can be whipped.
1NW of Site Two - Why actually?

Vote?

BTW - could we scout a bit west of Fever River to check what's there

Red Dot will initially cost only 2 gpt more than site 2, and with far better opportunities to gain more gold later. If Red Dot would cripple the economy, then what would site 2 do??

I agree with exploring west of Fever.

The cost doesn't bother me. The fact that it is undefendable, isolated, cut off and vulnerable does. We are not ready to settle so far away, but hopefully soon.

-2 gpt...How long for a cottage to grow to make +2 gpt? ( or for that matter population to grow to MAKE 2gpt) Take that number and multiple by the number of turns and you have a good idea how much the city will truly coast. Now figure out how many beakers that is...this is assuming we still have that city in 10 or 20 turns.

Thats true, even at this stage 2 GPT adds up. But I just wanted to say again that the city can not be defended and so it may actually invite attack from a civ that would otherwise remain friendly.

Top Bottom