Question regarding Units created by wonders

CapnKill

Warlord
Can these units be disbanded in towns for shields? Like the crusaiders from the Knights Templar for example?

island007 said:
Short answer is "Yes".

is there a long answer? Would this strategy become obsolete at any point in time? Do these wonders keep poping out units for ever, or do they stop working when a certion discovery is made?

Statue of Zeus - obsolete Metallurgy.
Knights Templar - obsolete Steam Power.

Long answer:

In some scenarios, the units produced by wonders/buildings require "0 shields", because one would never build one anyway, so they disband for none.

Not that long an answer. :crazyeye:

Crusaders are nice portable shields. AC's do not yield enough to worry about. They make better fodder after they can no longer win battles. I call them loss leaders.

Shield wise, yes they do. AC produce 10 and Crusaders 17. I don't disband since 5/3/1 units make nice fodder vs. rifles and 3/2/2, +1 HP AC are great vs. Muskets since they have retreat. One HP per AC, 5 or so can kill a musket...nice deal. Disband rules still in effect-no hurrying Small Wonders or Wonders etc.
Does anyone in a peaceful game build SoZ or Knights Templar for the shields generated by the units. SoZ pays off after 100 turns and Knights Templar after about 90. Hmm... Knights Templar better deal. I don't think anyone would, but who knows?

Empiremaker,

I think that the Statue of Zeus is worth it because I think your breakeven calcuation is based on number of shields, but the ancient cavalry appears strong to me for its shield numbers. If I could build ancianet cavalry at that price without the SoZ, I would pour them out!

Anyway, just my opinion!

Breunor

Empiremaker said:
Shield wise, yes they do. AC produce 10 and Crusaders 17. I don't disband since 5/3/1 units make nice fodder vs. rifles and 3/2/2, +1 HP AC are great vs. Muskets since they have retreat. One HP per AC, 5 or so can kill a musket...nice deal. Disband rules still in effect-no hurrying Small Wonders or Wonders etc.
Does anyone in a peaceful game build SoZ or Knights Templar for the shields generated by the units. SoZ pays off after 100 turns and Knights Templar after about 90. Hmm... Knights Templar better deal. I don't think anyone would, but who knows?

By the time you get to the IA, 10 shields is not going to do all that much. Prior to that, I would not say that AC are obsolete. Yes they are not going to kill calvs, but they can kill the other stuff running around in MA.

The SoZ is obsolete with Met, so getting into the IA is a good time to start unloading AC.

I am not sure that KT is a value at all, other than as a I have it and the AI does not. You will not get all that many Crusaders out and they are so slow. The wonder city is going to be a long ways from the front, mostly they just do not get into much action.

Soon after they do show up they will be starting to get calvs attacking them. Three other units (in the MA) have a higher ATT than their DEF. If it is the AI that has the KT, the player will be using armies to kill them. They are best for AI to AI fighting.

I have found crusaders very useful. I usually get to build at least a dozen more likely 20+.

I use them to help build forts in choke points and on island coasts, and defend my large worker stacks and rear area cities when I have RR and RoP's. I also use them in large numbers to advance with my arty and build a fort every turn to help defend my arty stack when I have to move it overland.

I build both wonders if I have the chance - if for nothing else than to deny them to the AI. Usually I get SoZ because of an AI Wonder Cascade - when it is all that is left... but I don't plan on building it. KT is always attractive to me as a builder - it frees up a city or two and allows me to build and still get a military unit every 5 turns for a while. I'd rather have this than the free barracks or reduced upgrade cost since I am not a warmonger.

I find that the Knights Templar is good for making early armies. If I am warring a lot, Crusaders can make a 7/4/2 (or 10/6/2 with pentagon) army. This can take down an infantry so the army stays valuable until Mech Infantry. Yes, a knight army has a better movement, but they can retreat and upgrade so I prefer to keep tem out of armies. If could be just me though.

Empiremaker said:
Actually SoZ would pay best off in most cases since KT comes later but they expire at about the same time, providing you don't rush to metallurgy. In peaceful games I think it is worth building them both (best to trade for chivalry, because researching it just for the purpose of getting KT is a waste), because not only do you usually gain more shields than you used (unless you tech really fast) but they can be disbanded in other cities, which is a good way to finish some building in those corrupted cities. Or you could put the crusaders to work making fortresses if you should ever need such a thing.

I would not even look at it in terms of shields, but rather AC's will run rough shod over AA units. I have had many 6 HP AC kill knights.

Crusaders will not be of great use to me as they are too slow and face harder unit in the MA. They just do not get into much action.

Top Bottom