Questions about City State mission to build Roads

In my current game, a city state has asked me to build a road which would connect our capitals. This would require building roads in six hexes. So would I have a 6 gold-per-turn tile maintenance penalty for the rest of the game?

What if part of the road was outside of my cultural borders? would I not have to pay tile gold-per-turn maintenance?

I know that you can destroy roads in each tile. Do you think that building a city state's requested road and then destroying it right after to avoid maintenance cost is an exploit? Thanks in advance

Yes, you have to pay maintenance, cultural borders or not. I just remove the road again. Exploit? I don't think so. It's not the players fault that Firaxis came up with this stupid mission where you have to build an otherwise totally useless road. If roads to city states gave another benefit (so building roads actually could be beneficial even without the mission) then this stupid situation wouldn't have happened.

You would have to pay the 6 gold-per-turn maintenance.

Roads built outside cultural borders are paid for by the person that built them. (No idea currently what happens when they become part of someone's cultural borders. I assume that person than pays for their upkeep).

I know that you can destroy roads in each tile. Do you think that building a city state's requested road and then destroying it right after to avoid maintenance cost is an exploit?

Yes.

Wait, I mean... no. Not an exploit. Do it.

Thanks in advance

You're welcome.

Depending on how far away the CS is, I'll just leave the road. This is more due to a relative form laziness than anything else. I've also found that CS will build roads in their territory to help connect. So that's nice.

But, yeah, it's a significant boost that would have otherwise cost you 500+ :c5gold:.

If roads to city states gave another benefit (so building roads actually could be beneficial even without the mission) then this stupid situation wouldn't have happened.

Or if building roads in general had any benefit besides the crappy 1 trade route. The movement bonus is nice, but the AI is so inept at warmongering that I've never felt like it's saved my life. Would it really have been hard to implement multiple trade routes like in Civ4? And some kind of international trade? Even if you could just get the normal crappy +1 trade route for building a road to another civ's border (if they have a road on the tile on their side connected to the capital network), it would be a start. Sometimes the game will even suggest, via popup icons, building roads towards an enemy border (all AI civs are enemy civs, in or out of war) when I select a worker, like that was supposed to be a feature at some point.

Has anyone destroyed the road after completing the quest, only to get it again? I would seem like you could keep a single tile open and repetedly "connect" to the CS for fun and profit, quest generator willing.

You can build roads in city state borders and you don't pay that upkeep.

I think connecting to a CS by road should create a trade route, even more profitable than the ones from your cities. Maybe this feature will be added in an expansion or mod.

Hey look on the brightside! Now, if you ever war with that city, you got a nice road right to their capital!

I build it and remove it asap... if they want a road, they`d better share expenses with me :p

Can we not mod into the game an effect where if we complete the quest a C.S will not 'share' or reduce the costs of ALL of your roads by 50%? This would encourage us to build them and also mitigate the cost of having them, since they asked for it in the first place.

I always leave the road anyway. Roads are good!

I tend to play pretty large empires and often have a fairly small military compared to the size of the empire and it is handy to be able to switch fronts quickly. I spend money maintaining roads instead of units;-) I also take the sp (Liberty->Meritocracy) that grants one happy for every trade route and in this last game I have been working with Commerce->Trade Unions (-20% road and railroad maintenance).

Build the road to the CS and they will love you long time;-) I always do this one for a maritime CS and usually for a cultural. I mostly don't think the warlike ones are worth having, but it could wind up saving you 500gp in terms of influence. As others have said, you mostly only have to build the road to the border of the CS they probably already have built one out from the Capitol. So if they are 6 away and you wind up building 4 road hexes you could maintain those hexes for 125 turns before you made up the influence difference. If it looks like somewhere you might like to be able to go--leave the road.

I always connect everything and will sometimes build cross connectors to shorten a route. I currently have this HUGE north-south mountain range right in the middle of the empire and wound up building roads around both ends just to improve mobility. Mobility is always good as you never know when you will need to move quickly. There is just nothing like being able to switch your mobile units from one side of the empire to the other in a turn or two using a well developed road net in the event that someone declares war on you from the far side of the world.

I always leave the road anyway. Roads are good!

I tend to play pretty large empires and often have a fairly small military compared to the size of the empire and it is handy to be able to switch fronts quickly.

That pretty much sums up my game style as well. I maintain a small experienced, highly moble military, with a decent road system to move them around where their needed.

........only problem happens when you get dog-piled by everyone on the board from all directions.....or if your outmatched by Technology..

Top Bottom