Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

The issue of impassable mountains is something I've already discussed elsewhere a couple of years ago when I discovered it, and I won't rehash it. For me, it's a game breaker.

What is it with some games, I think certain mods when it goes over a certain size, where it is quicker to alt-tab out of the game when loading rather than leave it with the slider?

I have been paying a little attention to game load times my current game, playing with the Star Trek 2 mod. If I just leave it it takes quite a few minutes to load, if I alt-tab out and wait until the % CPU usage of the Civ4 process has dropped to below 1% and then gone up to over 5% it loads in well under a minute.

Where can I find the original music score for BTS AND ? I seem to have aquired a different one
Are you referring to the mod Rise of Mankind: A New Dawn?

If so, I advise reaching out in this sub-form:

Why can't I Spread Religion?

Spoiler screenshot :

1704578328060.png

Yes, the missionary has to go one additional tile north. Also he needs to have movement points left.

In Civs 5 and 6
Does this also explain why you didn't make any roads? In Civilization IV, Workers (generally try to have 1/2 per city) can build an infinite amount of roads for free, one on each land tile of the map. I think in Civilization V roads cost money, and in Civilization VI trade routes create roads?

In general, you want to put a road (and later a railroad) on every single tile. Roads increase movement speed - and even moreso upon researching Engineering (though only across rivers upon researching Construction, to be complete) - and connect resources and cities (for trade). You correctly built a Pasture on your Pigs, but they are not yet connected to your city (by road or by river) so your city does not gain the additional health benefit from them, nor can you trade them with AIs.

Also; try to settle cities approximately two tiles away from each other (there is much more nuance to this advice, but at this moment you have a way too large distance between cities). And get much more cities; three cities while researching Monarchy is exceedingly little (especially when you are building a wonder - cities and military units are far more important, and remember; most wonders you can easily acquire for yourself by using military units to attack the cities that have wonders :) ).

Last edited:
That's a bit extreme. You want roads to connect cities and enable efficient unit movement. But other than that worker turns are too valuable early to waste them on spamming roads. Also cities do not need to be placed 3 tiles apart. Sometimes that's good but it depends on the land. If the land is weak more separation is better and you also want city resources in the first ring which along with other considerations usually supersedes the more general considerations.

I like your second(?) city placement. You are getting all the flood plains without the second city popping its borders. What I would point out is that you gain more (3?) food from irrigating the rice than the flood plains (only one). I probably would have built the road on the pigs, but it is a quite reasonable decision to leave resource tiles with a move of 1 until later. This is not civ 3 ;)

I like your second(?) city placement. You are getting all the flood plains without the second city popping its borders. What I would point out is that you gain more (3?) food from irrigating the rice than the flood plains (only one). I probably would have built the road on the pigs, but it is a quite reasonable decision to leave resource tiles with a move of 1 until later. This is not civ 3 ;)
Kyoto is my first city, so that's the default/random starting location

If turning buttons into hot keys something that can be modded in? How?

What I would really like to do is make the merge group / split group buttons hotkeys.

If turning buttons into hot keys something that can be modded in? How?

What I would really like to do is make the merge group / split group buttons hotkeys.
I think hotkeys are assigned to buttons in CIV4UnitInfos.xml. You'd need to know the exact name of the button though. Maybe open it with a text editor and search for "merge", "split" etc.

@Samson: I think those are the two buttons that get added separately here. One of them uses a button graphic named SPLITGROUP. Unlike the buttons that get added by the loop above, those two are not considered unit actions and have no XML data associated with them. Therefore, I don't think it's possible to assign a hotkey just through XML. (For the proper unit actions, it's easy to do through Civ4MissionInfos.xml and some other files in \XML\Units.) I also don't think the appendMultiListButton function that gets used for adding the (virtual) buttons can assign a hotkey just through some additional Python argument. One could add a kind of global hotkey through Python, but that would require some coding and searching around. As far as I can tell, the hotkey tags in Civ4UnitInfos.xml allow assigning a hotkey to any type of unit. What that hotkey will actually do is not clear to me. I would've guessed that it adds the unit to a city's production queue if one is selected, but it seems to have no effect in the game. Perhaps no behavior is actually implemented. The Modiki sagely explains that the tag is "Never used in the original game - it can be used to define a hotkey for the unit."

Top Bottom