Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

Psyringe said:
In the folder where you installed Civ4, there is a link to a Civilizaton4.ini file. Open it. with an editor. There is a line that specifies the autosave frequency. It's set to 5 at default, just set it to 1.

This isn't what I meant. I want to save every turn for as long as I play the game, so I will have over 300 save games by the end of a long game. (Instead of the latest 5.)

The interval is for how often it saves, not how many it saves.

Does this make the question more clear? Is there an answer?

Ah ... the question is more clear now, yes. Unfortunately I don't have an answer. The value you're looking for may be hardcoded. I browsed through all the XML files and haven't spotted a value that looked like it would control the number of autosaves ... but I didn't specifically look for it, so I may have overlooked something.

Robo Mike said:
Accoring to the CFC guide, shrines are WW's, but...

Are the Religious Shirnes considered as national wonders, because for some reason (glitch?), Moses can't build the buddhist shrine at the city with national epic and hindu shrine..?

Even my man Moshe can't build the Buddhist shrine anywhere but the Buddhist holy city. I just played on Settler to test this and founded six religions with only one city, and built 6 shrines in that city.

Hey-

I am new to Civ 4 and have a quick question. Is it possible to change the year that the game ends (2050)? Is there a mod to do this? Or perhaps a console command?

Thanks!

-Matt

a4phantom said:
Even my man Moshe can't build the Buddhist shrine anywhere but the Buddhist holy city, which is unlikely to also be the Hindu holy city (at least I've never seen holy cities double up, and I played on the second difficulty once and founded every religion).

It is possible if you only have one city when you found each religion.

i know this is a fairly ambiguous question, so I'll define it in better terms.

can people beat the hard difficulty levels against the ai, e.g. deity, without reloading? is that the goal. or are those levels only beatable with reloading or replaying?

also, how do you guys know when people submit that they didn't do a bunch of reloading.

thanks in advance. i want to know how i should be playing the game in order to challenge myself but have some chance of victory (on all levels).

Thanks for the help PDandy. It just really irks me that they sacrificed speed and fluidity for graphics. Civilization is not supposed to be for the graphics whores. I thought I had solved my problems when I updated my RAM to 1GB RDRAM which made civ3 fly at breakneck speeds, but now I know what the future holds, and I cannot deny myself Civ4. It's just too beutiful. Oh well, until I get a new card I'll just play Civ1 on cheiftan.

jjflex said:
i know this is a fairly ambiguous question, so I'll define it in better terms.

can people beat the hard difficulty levels against the ai, e.g. deity, without reloading? is that the goal. or are those levels only beatable with reloading or replaying?

also, how do you guys know when people submit that they didn't do a bunch of reloading.

thanks in advance. i want to know how i should be playing the game in order to challenge myself but have some chance of victory (on all levels).
The best players, as seen in GOTM play, play at the highest levels of difficulty without reloading. And they win repeatedly.

Have any of them ever had a girlfriend? <i> Just kidding </i> ;)

jjflex said:

Reloading is cheating. The game can be beaten without reloading, even on the highest difficulty levels, although you need to exploit AI weaknesses to do so (and possibly luck). You shouldn't use this cheat when submitting a game for a competition like the GOTM; this is usually specified in the rules. Reloading is noted in the game log and can be spotted this way, although this mechanism is far from perfect. But we trust each other that we obey the rules.

Play the game in the way it's the most fun for you. If you have moe fun when using the reload cheat, then use it. Just don't submit these games to a GOTM then. :)

Is there any global warming as per Civ2 ?
Is it the consequence of industrial productions, cars (= population of each city) or only nukes ?

Yes, there is global warming in the game. It is a result of nuclear explosions or nuclear reactors breaking down. That is all and is very sensitive so it is actually wise to have coal factories and just build a hospital and recycle center afterwards instead of risking a nuclear explosion.

The Condor said:
Yes, there is global warming in the game. It is a result of nuclear explosions or nuclear reactors breaking down. That is all and is very sensitive so it is actually wise to have coal factories and just build a hospital and recycle center afterwards instead of risking a nuclear explosion.

Under what conditions can a reactor meltdown? Does it depend on any factors (unhappiness in the city?) or is it completely random?

Also, how close to fresh water does a city have to be to receive the health benefit? Within the workable squares, or touching the city itself? Also, does having a very high health/unhealth ration increase growth, or is that extra health wasted?

Yay for a quick question thread. I searched all over, but unfortunately can't seem to find a response to see if I'm doing anything wrong.

I downloaded two new civilizations (carthaginians, abyssinians). Apparently I cannot have them both loaded at the same time. I load one mod, it restarts. I load the second, it restarts and the first one is no longer loaded. Is this correct, or is it supposed to store them after I install them? I'll be somewhat disappointed if I know I can only use one mod at a time, but better one than none. :)

Apologies if this was linked somewhere. I guarantee I've spent the last hour searching for "only one mod at a time" and checking all the stickies--which means it probably is somewhere obvious.

Hi lyon812, welcome to CFC! :goodjob:

You are correct in saying you can only have one mod loaded at a time, BUT, with a bit of copying and pasting some files, you should be able to combine the mods so you can have both civilizations at once, because when you download them, they are treated as two different mods. The game doesn't know you want to use both at one time.

These are a bit long and detailed and I know they've been explained before, but I can't seem to find them anywhere :(

What are the EXACT bonuses/penalties for changes in difficulty level?

Same question for Game Speed. What exactly changes between fast/normal/epic?

Question.
Does trait 'Industrious' and marble/stone resource cumulative.
How many wonders will cost if i have them both? 25% or 50%?

tigerden27 said:
This isn't what I meant. I want to save every turn for as long as I play the game, so I will have over 300 save games by the end of a long game. (Instead of the latest 5.)
The interval is for how often it saves, not how many it saves.
Does this make the question more clear? Is there an answer?
You need file GlobalDefines.xml.
Search for key MAX_AUTOSAVES

What determines when a civilization you're at war with will agree to communicate\negotiate with you again? Is there a minimum number of turns, or a certain amount of battles?

Thanks in advance!

How do I save a map so that when I open it in Civ Content it will generate a random map each time? To be clearer, I can generate a random map, save it, and then be stuck playing it over and boring. I want to be able to save a map with a few changes I made (more cost to build settlers and workers, basic stuff like that) but be able to have the game generate a random map each time I run it.

Dmitryn said:
Question.
Does trait 'Industrious' and marble/stone resource cumulative.
How many wonders will cost if i have them both? 25% or 50%?
You will get 150% bonus to production rounded down. I may have done the math wrong, but from what i get it brings the turns to complete down to about 40%. For Example: The Parthenon on Epic speed costs 600 hammers. A city with 4 hammers will take 150 turns to complete. An industrious leader will increase hammers in to 6 and take that city 100 turns. If it had marble, but not industrious leader then it would have 8 hammers and take 75 turns. Last, with both industrious and marble the city would be producing 10 hammers towards that wonder taking it 60 turns.

Top Bottom