Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

I am just wondering if anyone know of a reason for CivAssist II to hold control of the game. I have to click on a square of the map to get back to game options. I've never experienced this before and I can't think of why it is happening. I guess this should be asked in the Utilities forum but the CA II topis is ages old.

ETA :I asked the question in that forum

Still there is the black hole of calcutta. You can create civil disorder to prevent starving, then you increase population to 256 and use them all for civil Engineers. This allows you to create 500 shields per turn for great wonders. Not bad, but not very sensical and usually considered an inappropriate exploit.

As far as I know, the Black Hole of Calcutta was fixed in C3C, wasn't it? (Not sure about PtW and Vanilla. Could be that even there it was fixed in a later patch.) The fix consisted in making it impossible to add more workers/settlers, once the fpt value of the city becomes negative.

But in that case, we were almost certainly discussing options for fast-building units in 1-shield towns. I'd have to re-locate the thread to be 100% sure, but if so, I am pretty sure that (Lanzelot said that) if you convert the improvement-build to a unit-build while you still have CEs active, then all their contributed shields magically disappear from the box -- not just the CE-shields accumulated on the previous turn. So you do need at least 1 additional turn on the improvement-build, without CEs active, before making the switch to the unit.

Either that, or cash-rush a few shields before switching to the unit. During the cash-rush the game also "forgets" that some of the shields originally came from Engineers.

As far as I know, the Black Hole of Calcutta was fixed in C3C, wasn't it? (Not sure about PtW and Vanilla. Could be that even there it was fixed in a later patch.) The fix consisted in making it impossible to add more workers/settlers, once the fpt value of the city becomes negative.

That is where causing civil disorder comes in handy. The ftp value becomes nonnegative allowing to add workers till population reaches the absolute maximum of 256. That is 328960000 in terms of F11, plus 1000 per food, not that that makes much of a difference.

but doesn't Civil Disorder stop production ?

That said, I noticed one unexpected oddity in an unmodded game a while back: playing as the Koreans, I captured a Cannon -- even though the Koreans can't build them.

do not take for my word but it might be possible that the upgrade line might be catapult-trebuchet-cannon-rocket cart-artillery... When the Koreans grab that cannon it's just a trebuchet with fancy graphics ?

but doesn't Civil Disorder stop production ?
It stops production from worked tiles, but Justanick's talking about turning all those 256 rioters into CEs -- who will each produce 2 SPT, regardless of the civil disorder. Just like during Revolutions, when even though the town is not producing any trade or shields from the tiles (because of the Catastrophic corruption during Anarchy), you can still get 2 GPT out of Taxmen, or 3 BPT out of Geeks (possibly even enough to complete a research-project).
do not take for my word but it might be possible that the upgrade line might be catapult-trebuchet-cannon-rocket cart-artillery... When the Koreans grab that cannon it's just a trebuchet with fancy graphics ?
That's definitely how the upgrade-line runs. I'd have to relocate a relevant savefile to be 100% sure, but when I used the captured Cannon (vs Cavs and Rifles), I'm fairly sure I got the same hit-success as would be expected from a Cannon/Hwach'a -- and when I upgraded it, I don't remember it costing any more than the Hwach'as did (i.e. 120g, vs. Treb --> Arty = 150g).

I am just wondering if anyone know of a reason for CivAssist II to hold control of the game. I have to click on a square of the map to get back to game options. I've never experienced this before and I can't think of why it is happening. I guess this should be asked in the Utilities forum but the CA II topis is ages old.

ETA :I asked the question in that forum
Check the CAII Options -- there's a checkbox labelled 'improve game activation via mouseclick' (or something like that, can't remember exactly :confused: ). Maybe try setting it to the opposite of whatever it is now, and see if that helps?

It stops production from worked tiles, but Justanick's talking about turning all those 256 rioters into CEs -- who will each produce 2 SPT, regardless of the civil disorder. Just like during Revolutions, when even though the town is not producing any trade or shields from the tiles (because of the Catastrophic corruption during Anarchy), you can still get 2 GPT out of Taxmen, or 3 BPT out of Geeks (possibly even enough to complete a research-project).That's definitely how the upgrade-line runs. I'd have to relocate a relevant savefile to be 100% sure, but when I used the captured Cannon (vs Cavs and Rifles), I'm fairly sure I got the same hit-success as would be expected from a Cannon/Hwach'a -- and when I upgraded it, I don't remember it costing any more than the Hwach'as did (i.e. 120g, vs. Treb --> Arty = 150g).

ah , ı have forgotten the Civil Engineers , thanks for the information . As for the Hwacha , ı was suggesting the computer ignores that the cannons are not available for Korea but upgrades it as if a trebuchet . My scenario building is incredibly slow and ı was hoping to use captured barbarian artillery but ı would naturally need to make them ugradeable . Imagine a chain of forty , fifty units . High chances of blooping somewhere along the line . And inevitably giving advantage to the last Civ in the line . With in the same era one can steal all the artillery of other Civs and one can not at all .

Nope. Sea units cannot create leaders. Ever. Shipborne land units making amphibious attacks can.

Shipborne land units making amphibious attacks can.

They can, but it spawns only if there is still space for him (the MGL) on the ship. :crazyeye: So better make sure a) there is space or b) you´ll take the land tile in your amphibious assault with an elite unit...

t_x

In the normal civ game the only amphibious units are the incredibly expensive Berserkers and the incredibly underpowered Marines (At least Berserkers are cheaper than Guerilla and amphibious) so it's not as if you were going to have large invading waves of amphibious attackers galore.

They can, but it spawns only if there is still space for him (the MGL) on the ship. :crazyeye: So better make sure a) there is space or b) you´ll take the land tile in your amphibious assault with an elite unit...

t_x

As far as I know, this does not need to be the case. In fact, I think there are pictures in the "Interesting Screenshots" thread, showing a "floating" MGL on a water tile, which had to be "left behind", because the boat was full... :D
The MGL then stays immobile on the water tile, until another empty boat comes along and picks him up.

i heard rumours like that but have never seen it myself. therefore i started to believe they are fish stories... ;)
t_x

It might have happened to me. I honestly can't remember.

I need to switch governor setting from prod to food in newly spawned non-core cities (which anyway don't produce more than 1 spt), but checkbox "default settings for new cities" has no effect! So I can only change emphasises only for ALL cities, what's obviously no better option. What am I doing wrong? :badcomp:

As far as I know, this does not need to be the case. In fact, I think there are pictures in the "Interesting Screenshots" thread, showing a "floating" MGL on a water tile, which had to be "left behind", because the boat was full... :D
The MGL then stays immobile on the water tile, until another empty boat comes along and picks him up.

Here is a link to one of the earliest reports about MGLs appearing in the water:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=1621736&postcount=1

This was also reported to happen by amphibious assaults with the enslave option:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=13944442&postcount=4232

@hth: just assign things in your cities by hand. :)

Top Bottom