Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

They can, but it spawns only if there is still space for him (the MGL) on the ship.

ı can also vouch for that the generals can be left on the water and picked up later .

I need to switch governor setting from prod to food in newly spawned non-core cities (which anyway don't produce more than 1 spt), but checkbox "default settings for new cities" has no effect! So I can only change emphasises only for ALL cities, what's obviously no better option. What am I doing wrong? :badcomp:
The 'default for new cities' setting(s) get transferred from one game to the next, implying that it's stored in the .ini file, so it's possible that it might actually only be consulted when starting a new game, rather than affecting what happens within a game-in-progress.

But in any case, the Governator settings only affects which tile a newly-spawned citizen gets assigned to following town growth (so even when 'Emphasising Food', you won't ever get 'magic' IBT-food out of a town the way you can get IBT-shields when 'Emphasising Production'). It doesn't affect how local tiles are improved by automated workers (i.e. nearly always non-optimally!), nor does it really affect where the first citizen goes, since the 'need' to gain +2 FPT (if possible) overrides other considerations.

So I agree with Takhisis: if you're going into a newly built farm to set production (Workers/ Settlers/ Artillery / Wealth?) anyway, you might as well just click into the City-Governor menu at the same time -- but if you plant your Farms preferentially on terrain which would normally be better for shield-production (e.g. Hills, Deserts), and irrigate (and rail) all the remaining flatland-tiles in the vicinity, then new citizens won't have any choice but to grow food!

Other question:
What is exactly 'bombard ' of longbowman,guerilla,etc,I saw this can be chances to make damage,a percent ?

When a stack containing a landunit with a bombardement value is attacked this values is once applied against the attack value of the attacker before the battle starts. Having some artillery units is best for this job, but longbows do it also.

Thanks for reply, tjs282! So Civ3 governor system designed really bad. Both internal & by interface. Even for switching settings from food to prod for new city manually player need to do several (6!) clicks, what in civ4 does in just one. :hammer2:

When a stack containing a landunit with a bombardement value is attacked this values is once applied against the attack value of the attacker before the battle starts. Having some artillery units is best for this job, but longbows do it also.
OK,thanks.

Are stealing WM always requires Espionage advance? While reading a tR1cKy's epic thread I was found these sentences (conflicting on my own experience!):

Propaganda: nope. No Espionage tech yet, and probably it will never be discovered. I'm "spying" with the diplomats.

Spying on Bob: a failed espionage mission would be ideal to lure him into declaring first. But... a tech steal is too expensive: 1150 gold for an immediate spying. I would prefer to steal world maps: 150 gold and even if i succeed (my goal is to fail!) i can repeat the espionage without going broke.

Are stealing WM always requires Espionage advance? While reading a tR1cKy's epic thread I was found these sentences (conflicting on my own experience!):
No. Espionage allows you to build the Intelligence Agency, which allows you to plant spies, which in turn increases the choice of possible espionage missions available to you, but the tech alone does not give you any extra spying abilities.

Provided you're at peace with your intended victim, investigating cities and stealing tech/maps can actually be done using only a diplomat (i.e. an Embassy): failure to steal (diplomat caught) may/will cause a war and thus prevent from you stealing anything further (Embassies get closed during hostilities). (OTOH, if you do build the IntelAg, and successfully plant a spy -- which can also be done during wartime, although I believe it's then more expensive -- you can attempt city-investigation and tech-/map-steals even while at war).

That said, (IIRC) you can't steal WMaps until you have the tech that allows map-trading. In Conquests, that's Navigation, which comes at the end of the Medieval Age and is optional for era-advancement (so is often a low-priority acquisition). However, Tricky's game was based on the Vanilla .exe (he used a slightly modded Vanilla .bic), and in Vanilla, Map-trading (and hence -stealing) becomes possible much earlier -- in the Ancient Age, with Mapmaking (non-optional).

Combined with the much earlier Civ-Contacts in Vanilla (allowed by Writing, vs. PrintingPress in Conquests) map-trading/-stealing is/was a much more powerful tactic. It was rather OP, TBH: even on Large/Huge maps (and especially on Pan/Cont landforms), it was often possible to obtain a full WMap long before leaving the AA -- which is why the tech-requirements were changed for Conquests.

Strange. In all of my PTW games I have only 2 options via diplomat spying: Investigate city & Steal tech. WM box is grayed out, like others. Techs, say, are upto Ind Age but without Esp(IntAgency).

Then I have downloaded some c3c gotm saves situation looks exactly same.

Strange. In all of my PTW games I have only 2 options via diplomat spying: Investigate city & Steal tech. WM box is grayed out, like others. Techs, say, are upto Ind Age but without Esp(IntAgency).

Then I have downloaded some c3c gotm saves situation looks exactly same.
I don't know at what point in Civ3's development the 'map-trading' tech was changed*, but in Conquests it's quite possible to reach the Industrial Age without learning Navigation. Conversely, Magnetism is obligatory for era-advancement, it also allows 'Trade over Oceans', and only 1 trade-partner (i.e. the AICiv) needs to know Navi to make map-trading possible. So, unless their gameplan absolutely requires Explorers and/or Magellans, many players (especially those playing at Emp+) just learn/ buy/ steal Magnetism and skip Navi altogether, in order to save time and/or gold.

Is it therefore possible that in (all) those savegames, Navi is not known by you/ the uploader...?

Spoiler :
I haven't played any PtW games to speak of: I went from playing Civ3 Vanilla straight to the GamersGate Civ3(In)Complete(TM) version, and only recently located a working PtW-NoCD .exe to add to it. So far I've only used it to try the DyP.bix included in the GG-install -- and it crashed

Strange. In all of my PTW games I have only 2 options via diplomat spying: Investigate city & Steal tech. WM box is grayed out, like others.

That is correct. Stealing WM requires spies which require the Intelligence agency which requires espionage. Stealing WM is not linked to to ability to trade maps.

So, unless their gameplan absolutely requires Explorers and/or Magellans, many players (especially those playing at Emp+) just learn/ buy/ steal Magnetism and skip Navi altogether, in order to save time and/or gold.

Explorers donnot require Navigation, only Astronomie. Usually the combination of caravels and RoP or explorer suffice to reveal the entire map. Explorers have some ability to explore within foreign culture without RoP. They can use all tiles as road and as they are not a proper military unit they donnot cause "declare war or leave". Still having RoP might be preferable.

Is it therefore possible that in (all) those savegames, Navi is not known by you/ the uploader...?
Known ALL MA techs, so this not a point.
That is correct. Stealing WM requires spies which require the Intelligence agency which requires espionage.
So what about that Tr1cKy's game? Early patch version? (but in 2005???)

Known ALL MA techs, so this not a point.
And I was wrong anyway, as Justanick points out.. the 'map-trading' tech does not allow map-stealing, so that element of my answer was a complete red-herring.
So what about that Tr1cKy's game? Early patch version? (but in 2005???)
I refer you to my previous post:
However, Tricky's game was based on the Vanilla .exe (he used a slightly modded Vanilla .bic), and in Vanilla, Map-trading (and hence -stealing) becomes possible much earlier -- in the Ancient Age, with Mapmaking (non-optional).
I'd have to check my Vanilla .bic to see whether map-stealing is/was allowed for diplomats there -- but that property is certainly moddable in the Vanilla Editor, so if you see Tricky referring to stealing Maps before learning Espionage, that might be how he's doing it.

That said, I've just been (re)reading through that thread (from where you linked to it, to page 17), and so far I've only seen references to tech-steals. Which you can do with diplomats...

ADDENDUM: He tries to steal a map on p.18 (Post #351)... :p

tjs282, probably you are right and his game had modded spies! I was missed entire tab 'Diplomat and Spies" in the editor.

So I felt like playing Civ3 tonight, but I couldn't remember which preference to change to make it to marathon game speed. I'm in the Configuration settings and staring at the numeric codes. Just no remembering.
Anyone out there remember?

So I felt like playing Civ3 tonight, but I couldn't remember which preference to change to make it to marathon game speed. I'm in the Configuration settings and staring at the numeric codes. Just no remembering.
Anyone out there remember?
Not sure what you mean by 'Marathon' gamespeed -- wasn't that rather for Civ4 (which I've never played)? If so, you're asking in the wrong forum...

For Civ3, the nearest equivalent is probably 'Accelerated production' (halves all build costs) -- just check the box in the 'Victory conditions/Game rules' box of the 'Choose your Civ and Opponents' game-setup screen. Or you could play 'Elimination' or 'Regicide', where capturing a single enemy city or killing an enemy 'King'-unit (respectively) will eliminate that Civ. (NB All these options were intended to be used primarily for MP games, so are only available in PtW and Conquests/Complete, not Vanilla Civ3)

If you just want a quick/easy Civ3 game, choose a Tiny Pangaea 80% Map, pick the Aztecs as your Civ, set difficulty to "Warlord" and let your Jags :hammer: away... ;)

Marathon usually implies that it should take quite a while. So for that purpose you should avoid all the settings tjs282 suggested. In a way Marathon is the standard setting already. One could of course always mod the game to make it last longer in terms of turns. The standard setting is 540 turns, but on huge maps that will consume a great deal of real life time already. So better donnot be too ambitous.

Not sure what you mean by 'Marathon' gamespeed -- wasn't that rather for Civ4 (which I've never played)? If so, you're asking in the wrong forum...

For Civ3, the nearest equivalent is probably 'Accelerated production' (halves all build costs) -- just check the box in the 'Victory conditions/Game rules' box of the 'Choose your Civ and Opponents' game-setup screen. Or you could play 'Elimination' or 'Regicide', where capturing a single enemy city or killing an enemy 'King'-unit (respectively) will eliminate that Civ. (NB All these options were intended to be used primarily for MP games, so are only available in PtW and Conquests/Complete, not Vanilla Civ3)

If you just want a quick/easy Civ3 game, choose a Tiny Pangaea 80% Map, pick the Aztecs as your Civ, set difficulty to "Warlord" and let your Jags :hammer: away... ;)

No, it is in Civ 3, as well. Not in the in game options, but in the configuration settings, under preferences.
I've boxed around the numbers. One of those 1s can be switched to 2,3, or 4, with 4 being marathon.
I just can't remember which one, it's been way too long.

You can always try it by hand, if you don't mind doing some backups and expecting a few possible crashes.

Or, y'know, play it out nicely and slowly throughout the weekend.

Top Bottom