Here's a quick question...

When you go into diplomacy with a leader (leader A) and look at their relationships with other civs they've met, is that their (leader A's) attitude towards the other civ? Or is it the other civ leader's attitude toward that leader (leader A)?

Good question...I always look at that screen thinking its about the attitude of others towards that leader, but since you are looking at that leader's screen maybe it's the other way around!

That screen has an icon for you, the player, so it’s definitely how that leader feels about everyone listed.

Last edited:
But I remember having green smile with Pericles (I hate that guy!) just a turn before he declared war on me!

But I remember having green smile with Pericles (I hate that guy!) just a turn before he declared war on me!
You mean like ... a SURPRISE war?
Players can do it, so I would HOPE that the AI can do so on occasion (if the RNG is just right).

You mean like ... a SURPRISE war?
Players can do it, so I would HOPE that the AI can do so on occasion (if the RNG is just right).
Sure but going from green to war in one turn kinda makes the attitude system pointless...not that I care that much...I already learned never to trust Pericles or anyone allied with him for that matter (looking at you Pedro I).

What currency do you guys think is most important? Gold, culture, or science?

I was choosing a religion belief and I couldn't make up my mind if which one I wanted. So I just went the safe option and chose Tithe. I figure gold is the most versatile and I can just buy the relevant buildings to get the other's once the districts are built.

For a broad range of victory conditions, gold has the most flexibility. One may use gold to buy land (tiles), units, or most buildings. Science is important, so that you don't fall behind, but is most important for the space/science victory. Culture unlocks items from the culture tree, but contributes only indirectly to the culture victory (in Gathering Storm or later). I love Tithe, especially when I can spread my religion to neighbors and city-states. Even if I don't pursue a Religious victory, having the tithe income is a welcome help.

Anyone know why a privateer can attack without DOW but german uboat cannot. It's not set in Zone of control, so where is the setting?

I just had my first Megacolossal Eruption :)

Didn't even know that was a word. Will there be after shocks ? Or can I send in the workers immediately ?

Last edited:
I just had my first Megacolossal Eruption :)

Didn't even know that was a word. Will there be after shocks ? Or can I send in the workers immediately ?
There are no earthquakes in the game. Go ahead and start repairing.

I don’t think there’s necessarily a “cooldown” mechanic, but the chance of that same volcano erupting immediately again is quite low—at most, only one new natural disaster per turn can occur on the entire map.

Just for everybody's information . . .

The VEI, or Volcanic Explosivity Index, is the measurement of the scale of a volcanic eruption. It is not perfect, since it only measures the amount of solid matter, from ash to boulders, ejected by an eruption, and the height to which it is ejected, so a simple flow of hot lava that covers 1000 square kilometers and obliterates all plant and animal life in that area would be labeled a VEI 0 or 1 and the actual damage done to the landscape considerably underestimated.

MegaColossal, by the way, is the title given to a VEI 8 eruption, one which ejects over 1000 cubic kilometers of matter and throws some of it up to 20 kilometers high - into the stratosphere. The last such eruption occured about 27,000 years ago, so its appearance in the game is a little problematic: as far as we can tell, that size (the highest measured) eruption comes around about once in every 50,000 years.

Lesser eruptions, though, can still do a lot of damage: the eruption of Vesuvius that obliterated two Roman towns in 79 CE was a VEI 5 ("Cataclysmic") eruption that ejected about 1 cubic kilometer of matter, as was the Mount St Helens eruption in 1980 CE that, mercifully, took place in a felatively uninhabited region but spread airborne ash across half the North American continent. Tamboura in 1815 CE, that caused a "Year without summer" in Europe a year later because of the effects of its ash cloud, was a VEI 7 ("Super Colossal") eruption that ejected an estimated 150 cubic kilometers of matter, so one of the largest eruptions in known human history, and with world-wide effects - quite large enough for my game, thank you!

Last edited:
It is indeed Mt. Vesuvius, de nearest city, Rome was just outside the area of effect, still it lost 6 pop, 4 tiles damage, no units killed,

This could have been worse, happy to live in such interesting times, rescuing teams are on the way 🙂

There is no such setting.
privateer can attack without DOW is not from Civ6.
Was it Civ4?
In past franchise games (both Civ3 and Civ4, IIRC), privateers had "hidden nationality." They would be built by an AI, but didn't have the colors of that AI. Yes, they could attack at will, like barbarians.

I would sometimes send my ships to follow them, then noticed which city they entered to try to hide. :mischief:

Yeah that's a little bit jarring for players of previous civs, but Privateers can't attack other Civs without a DoW in Civ 6. I was baffled by that for a while too. I only figured out last year how to use the Privateer ability in Civ 6 correctly, which is basically just clearing Barb camps. Could be very useful in a war too to pillage harbors.Get lots of gold that way.

Quick question: When choosing to make an alliance, does the amount of the specific yield (let's say science as an example) that the target/allied Civ makes affect how much of that you get in return in the alliance from sending a trade route? So if it's a Research alliance, do you want to ally with a Civ high in science? Economic Alliance with a civ high in GPT? Religious Alliance with a Civ high in Faith? Culture high in culture? Etc

Does it matter if the Civ you are making the alliance with is lower than most other Civs in producing that alliance yield type per turn?

Quick question: When choosing to make an alliance, does the amount of the specific yield (let's say science as an example) that the target/allied Civ makes affect how much of that you get in return in the alliance from sending a trade route? So if it's a Research alliance, do you want to ally with a Civ high in science? Economic Alliance with a civ high in GPT? Religious Alliance with a Civ high in Faith? Culture high in culture? Etc

Does it matter if the Civ you are making the alliance with is lower than most other Civs in producing that alliance yield type per turn?
Nope. Alliance bonuses for each side are the same and are solely based on the alliance's level.

Top Bottom