Quick Questions / Quick Answers

Seems to be bugged currently, I was only getting great writers after a certain point.

I'm curious about the damage of city attacks past very early. It seems to sink to the 10 minimum damage amount fairly quickly. I could understand with something like Drill and Cover, but it's felt rather weak even against barbarians/partisans in the midgame.

Curious if anybody was around for discussions in the past and might be able to illuminate the reasons for it.

To require multiple bonuses (Tradition + pantheon) to get the damage respectable (aka, invest in it)? Was damage with the range increases of VP (theoretically there partially to combat siege range threats?) a bit too much? As is, cities (player or AI) generally can't stop a single unit from pillaging everything due to the healing. Perhaps to put that much more emphasis on military units, a bit like how Civ 6 requires the wall health bar to even let the city shoot in the first place?

How can I increase limit of a save file name? I would like to include in the name short description like what to do next.

My capital was just hit by a spy action that caused it to go into revolt for 10 turns. Is this just one of the random things a spy can do if left in the city for long enough?

My capital was just hit by a spy action that caused it to go into revolt for 10 turns. Is this just one of the random things a spy can do if left in the city for long enough?

Yeah, but I've never seen it happen for 10 turns. I suppose it's possible, though.

Yeah, but I've never seen it happen for 10 turns. I suppose it's possible, though.
It's pretty insane on a tradition capital. Drained my 2000 gold reserve, disbanded two units, dropped 25 happiness (into the negatives, of course).

Very quick question. I've done the full install so I guess I've also installed a different interface. Trying my best to adjust to it since I assume if it was included in the pack it's probably preferable to get used to for the whole thing. One thing that is bugging me, in Civ5 I could hover over a tile and it'd reveal its yields. Under this interface it doesn't. As best as I can tell the only way to see tile yields is to enable tile yields for all tiles. Is there any way to enable it in such a way that it only shows for the tile I am hovering over?

Cheers

Edit:

Actually starting to question whether I'm imagining that part but I don't want to close out my game and start over on normal Civ5. But the thing I immediately noticed was when encountering a body of water my instinct was to put my mouse over it which would show whether it was coast or a lake, and in this interface, that didn't show. That's the main feature I'd be hoping to get back

What does Gandhi try to say? Is it him simply declaring that he's now going for the Scientific Victory option?

20180508162735_1.jpg

Very quick question. I've done the full install so I guess I've also installed a different interface. Trying my best to adjust to it since I assume if it was included in the pack it's probably preferable to get used to for the whole thing. One thing that is bugging me, in Civ5 I could hover over a tile and it'd reveal its yields. Under this interface it doesn't. As best as I can tell the only way to see tile yields is to enable tile yields for all tiles. Is there any way to enable it in such a way that it only shows for the tile I am hovering over?

Cheers

Edit:

Actually starting to question whether I'm imagining that part but I don't want to close out my game and start over on normal Civ5. But the thing I immediately noticed was when encountering a body of water my instinct was to put my mouse over it which would show whether it was coast or a lake, and in this interface, that didn't show. That's the main feature I'd be hoping to get back

You probably installed EUI with the Vox Populi installer, there is also an option without it if you don't like it.

By hovering over tiles, do you mean the tooltip that comes up? In that case, perhaps something simply messed with your options and set the delay for too long. In principle, the tooltip should show up.

What does Gandhi try to say? Is it him simply declaring that he's now going for the Scientific Victory option?

View attachment 495092

Yes, and he probably thinks that you do it, too. The message has no direct effect, however don't be surprised when he soon isn't friendly anymore towards you.

In that case, perhaps something simply messed with your options and set the delay for too long. In principle, the tooltip should show up.

Yes, it should be possible to re-enable the tooltip by setting the delay to something very low in the game options.

Uninstalling EUI brought it back. For context this is what I meant (link below). I don't think it was tool tip?

https://i.imgur.com/Fsrgk4F.jpg
The version with EUI uses a customized EUI so it doesn't work with the real EUI installed. You have to manually remove the standalone EUI first, then install the package of VP-EUI version. Or you can play with vanilla UI.

For now I've just stuck with removing the EUI. Am I losing out on anything massively by switching back to Vanilla? Still very early in my game so obviously don't know if the ramifications are going to extend further in.

Uninstalling EUI brought it back. For context this is what I meant (link below). I don't think it was tool tip?

https://i.imgur.com/Fsrgk4F.jpg
Yep, this is what I meant by the tooltip. I play without the EUI, but I vaguely remember when I tried it out long time ago, the tooltip disappeared for me too. I got it back by going to the options and shortening the delay time - maybe I also had to tick some checkboxes.

Edit: Regarding your second question, among the EUI features, I personally miss the most the little icons of the Luxuries above cities indicating which lux the city wants for the We Love the King celebration. For the diplo features, I prefer the InfoAddict, which I find less visually intrusive and I also love the graphs :) But I am a minority. Based on some polls, about 2/3 of players prefer EUI.

Yep, this is what I meant by the tooltip. I play without the EUI, but I vaguely remember when I tried it out long time ago, the tooltip disappeared for me too. I got it back by going to the options and shortening the delay time - maybe I also had to tick some checkboxes.

Edit: Regarding your second question, among the EUI features, I personally miss the most the little icons of the Luxuries above cities indicating which lux the city wants for the We Love the King celebration. For the diplo features, I prefer the InfoAddict, which I find less visually intrusive and I also love the graphs :) But I am a minority. Based on some polls, about 2/3 of players prefer EUI.

To be precise for the tooltip:
In the Options / Interface Options, you have "Map Info Delay" and "Tooltip Delay". Those control how much time you need to stay over a tile to see the tooltip. Reducing the first one to whatever you want (e. g. 1 second or even less) should do the trick. The second controls when a tooltip with more information pops up (with EUI enabled, this shows you for example which technologies, buildings etc. can buff this tile in the future).

Sounds like I can make do without it then. I've been noticing Civs building wonders pretty quick in the early phases (not yet really committed to a game as I get used to the various mechanics - only just realised Shrines cost no maintence so now they're in my build order now whereas before I tended to leave them unless I was near particularly pantheon worthy resources - sidenote: pantheons seem much better balanced in this) Is it the same deal as before where they get a tech headstart and it isn't worth risking the earlier wonders (on King difficulty, for context)?

No, they don't have additional techs at start so it might be worth risking.
That's good to know, thanks.

Just a few things I've noticed/found different, not sure if this is just a one off or if this is a normal thing. I seem to be generating a lot more gold in the early phases than I would in a normal Civ5 game. Starting to think I need to spend it more quickly to make the most of it. Is this advisable or will I run into midgame problems if I blow it all early?

Top Bottom