Quick Questions , Quick Answers

yeah but I think it would increase memory consumption because the way you'd be proposing to reduce it is already being accomplished as much as it can be by SM and if introduced we'd be loading into ram an amazing amount of new unit definitions entirely. Not much can just be blended across these kinds of hybrid lines... or even averaged or whatever. A designer would have to think hard on what the blend would mean and accomplish.

New question:
Is there already an implemented mechanic for "unit with a specific promotion is the prerequisite for something", be it a building OR a unit?
There's a Wonder with a requirement mechanic for a minimum unit level, but I'm asking about actual promotions by name.
Why?
Because, and I feel like it had been discussed in the past, I'm ruminating on the idea of "promotions leading to upgrades", be it as "another way", or ultimately as "the only way".
Basically, you can only train "grunts" that are essentially Brutes, and then you must promote them in order to actually upgrade the to better units.
This, by the way, may be a "sister concept" to the "multi-type merging", but this type via "multi-promotion upgrading", probably via subcombat types to begin with.
Basically, you promote your grunt with Swordsman AND with Archer, so you can turn it into a Sword-Archer, lol.
Either by replacing with a template (but this does lead to the problem of requiring hundreds of such templates), or merely adding the appropriate subcombats without changing its graphics.
The latter, of course, would be "problematic for the human player to easily deduce visually", so we again bump into the circular problem of "graphics and ideas, ideas and graphics".
Sigh...
I meant THIS question.

I meant THIS question.
It can be done sorta. You can make a promo give a unitcombat. You cannot however qualify an upgrade due to a particular promotion or unitcombat though that is an interesting idea.

It can be done sorta. You can make a promo give a unitcombat. You cannot however qualify an upgrade due to a particular promotion or unitcombat though that is an interesting idea.
And kinda "realistic" as well.
When you get REAL LIFE rookie soldiers, they DON'T start as "macemen" or "archers" until they undergo the appropriate training - which is quite nicely reflected via promotions.
So the idea of TRAINING units would be both quite novel and quite realistic - you'd have "basic soldiers of the era", who then can be TRAINED into appropriate units.
This would even allow for FUNNY stuff like capturing enemy units that have a certain Culture on them, which would let you promote them to their cultural units - or maybe even use them as military trainers that "spread their Culture, but only onto the rookies under their tutelage".
Sure, this is "too complex for AI", so it's just "another cheat for human players" - but this entire mod is by default" too complex for AI" anyways, so why not have MORE FUN with it?

When you get REAL LIFE rookie soldiers, they DON'T start as "macemen" or "archers" until they undergo the appropriate training - which is quite nicely reflected via promotions.
So the idea of TRAINING units would be both quite novel and quite realistic - you'd have "basic soldiers of the era", who then can be TRAINED into appropriate units.
This would even allow for FUNNY stuff like capturing enemy units that have a certain Culture on them, which would let you promote them to their cultural units - or maybe even use them as military trainers that "spread their Culture, but only onto the rookies under their tutelage".
Sure, this is "too complex for AI", so it's just "another cheat for human players" - but this entire mod is by default" too complex for AI" anyways, so why not have MORE FUN with it?
Ultimately, this would be the ideal eventuality for units. Then things like horses and helicopters and tanks and naval ships become just equipments for troops with the training to use them to take advantage of. You'd train some soldiers to be melee, train some melee soldiers to become spear wielders, and then that would guide upgrades in a way though I'm not sure 'upgrading' would quite be the same thing in that light.

Ultimately, this would be the ideal eventuality for units. Then things like horses and helicopters and tanks and naval ships become just equipments for troops with the training to use them to take advantage of. You'd train some soldiers to be melee, train some melee soldiers to become spear wielders, and then that would guide upgrades in a way though I'm not sure 'upgrading' would quite be the same thing in that light.
Ideally, the best way would be to totally get divorced from having a zillion of different UNITS in a mod that has a zillion of CULTURAL units, let alone spans 13 ERAS.
And this is also more realistic - rookies are trained into subcombats, not "magically transformed".
But, well, yeah - this is MAYBE a project for the distant future, if at all.
Which is, lol, a pity.

Ideally, the best way would be to totally get divorced from having a zillion of different UNITS in a mod that has a zillion of CULTURAL units, let alone spans 13 ERAS.
And this is also more realistic - rookies are trained into subcombats, not "magically transformed".
But, well, yeah - this is MAYBE a project for the distant future, if at all.
Which is, lol, a pity.
We were planning stages of evolution to get there basically.

We were planning stages of evolution to get there basically.
I still think it'd be an interesting and "realistic" mechanic to apply to Cultures.
Like, you have "No Culture" units that you then "train" into Cultural ones by leaving them overnight in a Cultural city (preferably BULKing the choice, if you're gonna do this for a lot of units).
This would be an interesting twist for having ALLIES - you could get access to THEIR Cultural units without actually having their Culture.
Or you could even turn units into "Cultural missionaries" that would be able to "spread" or "teach" their Culture to other units or cities.
Heck, this is an interestingly realistic (and annoying for someone like me, who hates micromanaging) method to deal with Culture spreading - as opposed to how it now does it "magically".
In fact, this could also be expanded to Caravans - spreading resources via actual "physical" trading, not via "magical teleports".
It'd become an additional HELL of micromanaging, of course, but it's a cool and "realistic" idea nonetheless.

I still think it'd be an interesting and "realistic" mechanic to apply to Cultures.
Like, you have "No Culture" units that you then "train" into Cultural ones by leaving them overnight in a Cultural city (preferably BULKing the choice, if you're gonna do this for a lot of units).
This would be an interesting twist for having ALLIES - you could get access to THEIR Cultural units without actually having their Culture.
Or you could even turn units into "Cultural missionaries" that would be able to "spread" or "teach" their Culture to other units or cities.
Heck, this is an interestingly realistic (and annoying for someone like me, who hates micromanaging) method to deal with Culture spreading - as opposed to how it now does it "magically".
In fact, this could also be expanded to Caravans - spreading resources via actual "physical" trading, not via "magical teleports".
It'd become an additional HELL of micromanaging, of course, but it's a cool and "realistic" idea nonetheless.
Much of that was part of what was proposed in the Ideas project. Units would track their own cultural values among other 'idea' types like languages and so on, and as they move between, exist in, and perform missions in various places, they impart some of their own identities into the community. Some, like entertainers would be very dedicated to intentionally spreading certain ideas you want them to (becoming cultural missionaries)... and criminals/spies could be quite impacting with propaganda efforts. Other ideas would be Religions and Corporations as well so rather than necessarily being one shot units, they would influence the local ideas of their type more like LE and Disease Control units influence crime and disease by simply being there, and more if they are taking active roles and so on. And yes, cultural special units would be able to be trained directly from cities with STRONG amounts of that culture, or more base units of their type could become one by having the culture of those types grow strong on those units.

Much of that was part of what was proposed in the Ideas project. Units would track their own cultural values among other 'idea' types like languages and so on, and as they move between, exist in, and perform missions in various places, they impart some of their own identities into the community. Some, like entertainers would be very dedicated to intentionally spreading certain ideas you want them to (becoming cultural missionaries)... and criminals/spies could be quite impacting with propaganda efforts. Other ideas would be Religions and Corporations as well so rather than necessarily being one shot units, they would influence the local ideas of their type more like LE and Disease Control units influence crime and disease by simply being there, and more if they are taking active roles and so on. And yes, cultural special units would be able to be trained directly from cities with STRONG amounts of that culture, or more base units of their type could become one by having the culture of those types grow strong on those units.
Niiice. Can't wait to see this in action, lol.

Hello,
I am trying to tweak inflation.
Can somebody explain me the math behind it? How does the following line (the only one I found) affect inflation from hurrying buildings?

<Define>
<DefineName>HURRY_INFLATION_DECAY_RATE</DefineName>
<iDefineIntVal>2</iDefineIntVal>
</Define>

Hello,
I am trying to tweak inflation.
Can somebody explain me the math behind it? How does the following line (the only one I found) affect inflation from hurrying buildings?

<Define>
<DefineName>HURRY_INFLATION_DECAY_RATE</DefineName>
<iDefineIntVal>2</iDefineIntVal>
</Define>
The smaller the value the faster inflation will disappear. Set it to 0 to have inflation decay every turn on all gamespeeds regardless of inflation decay modifiers from other sources.
Only civics can modify inflation decay rate; but no civic use that xml tag <iHurryInflationModifier>.
A value of 1 will generally mean decay happens every turn even on eternity gamespeed, since there are no modifiers applied to it from civics currently.
A value of 2 means inflation will decay every second turn on eternity and every turn on faster gamespeeds.
I'll change the inflation code to allow for more than 1 decay per turn on the faster gamespeeds.

@raxo2222 @JosEPh_II maybe one of you want to add the <iHurryInflationModifier> tag to some currency civics, negative numbers make inflation decay faster, positive values slower (acts as a percentage).

Last edited:
Thank you for the answer.
Another question - I am trying to tweak corporations and add new ones/change requirements for old ones/make more corporations compatible with others/etc
Any suggestion where the code is?

Thank you for the answer.
Another question - I am trying to tweak corporations and add new ones/change requirements for old ones/make more corporations compatible with others/etc
Any suggestion where the code is?
If you're not trying to change the rules but just the designs, mostly its in the modules xmls.

How can I make sure nothing gets cut off my screen when I display C2C on my TV? The TV has a native resolution of 1920x1080, but setting the resolution to 1920x1080 still cuts off the screen. None of the default resolutions fit. How can I customize the resolution, and how do I know what will fit?

Edit: figured some things out, but I'm still stuck. In CIV4 config file, there are options to change screen width and height, but they have no effect... no such options in C2C config.

Furthermore, I have noticed that turning off full screen removes the cut-off issue. However, I would much prefer to play in full screen. How do I fix this?
This sounds more like a TV issue ? Look into the TV settings. (Also, watch out, cheaper TVs actually lie about their resolution.)
(But also check what kind of resolution the PC is actually sending to the TV.)

Well, I don't know for macemen, but for archers the recruits come "pre-trained" : AFAIK it's typically impossible to become competent enough at archery if you don't learn it from a very young age (even more so for mounted archery), and the nomads using horse archers as well as the English were using the fact that a big enough fraction of men were already competent archers (because using bows in their daily life for hunting).

The case of the English should probably be emphasized : they used archers because they were poor : richer polities could afford crossbows, which do not require lifelong training.

Is there any option to make obsolete units trainable? I cant see such option anywhere. I guess it could be hidden somewhere in XML, but i cant find it there neither

Also, is there a way to cancel an upkeep for subdued animals?

Is there any option to make obsolete units trainable? I cant see such option anywhere. I guess it could be hidden somewhere in XML, but i cant find it there neither

Also, is there a way to cancel an upkeep for subdued animals?
There was a BUG feature about "hiding" obsolete... stuff. Not sure which stuff (buildings, units) and not sure which is still there. Check it thoroughly, it may still be there.

That i did. There is only "Hide replaced buildings" and "Hide unavalaible worker actions" options in the BUG's C2C tab. But im pretty sure it should be possible, i am convinced there had been an option (in form of filter next to the "Show trainable units only") to show obsolete units in list of buildable units of the city in one of the earlier versions (currently i play with v43)

Top Bottom