R.E.D. WWII: Concepts & Suggestions

Something needs to be done about north africa, considering how an important theatre of war it was its currently quite dull and constantly gets overrun by the silly italians :D

Something needs to be done about north africa, considering how an important theatre of war it was its currently quite dull and constantly gets overrun by the silly italians :D
^^This^^ The British never even seem to stand a chance :crazyeye:

We need 2 military projects (to start... Operation Torch is not a short-term addition) on this area: one to spawn reinforcement (from orient) for UK at Suez (UK should already send troops from home in 39-45 scenario, but they have some problem to reach Suez area in group... and Italy do the same, with less problems !), one to spawn Afrika Korps troops for Germany later.

Actually, I crush the italian easy in affrica. I send most of my fleet arround Malta and all starting troup from England to Egypt. Air cover can be a problem then I research long range fighter to reach malta. But then, if I play Italy the Brit dont seem to care about Africa.

Hello Gedemon,

I just noticed this mod for Civ V; thank you for spending the enormous amount of time in making it.

A. Does it work if I have the Gods & Kings Expansion? Or, should I say, is there an alternative file if one has G&K?

B. Excuse my ignorance (don't want to read 57-58 pages): Is the game fully playable?

C. And, is there a thread where you will post/having been posting expansions to this mod, or will there be separate WWII scenario mods?

D. I think you've stated that one can "hot-seat" this game. Any news on when this will be able to be an online co-op?

Thank you,

Marc

A. It disables Gods + Kings automatically
B. It has its share of bugs and doesn't have everything needed but is playable and very fun!
C. Sorry, can you rephrase?

We need 2 military projects (to start... Operation Torch is not a short-term addition) on this area: one to spawn reinforcement (from orient) for UK at Suez (UK should already send troops from home in 39-45 scenario, but they have some problem to reach Suez area in group... and Italy do the same, with less problems !), one to spawn Afrika Korps troops for Germany later.

I want to remind everyone of thinking about projects that has been necessary preparations for Operation Torch. Like the "Operation Catapult" (July '40)and the "Battle of Taranto" (November '40) which just kept the Axis in Europe from becoming a competitive naval force to allies.

Hello Skibbi,

Thank you for your response.

C. Will these different Gedemon military projects all be placed into this one WW II mod?

D. I think this mod, along with all others, are not internet co-op-able; do we know when this one will be?

Regards,

Marc

Actually, I crush the italian easy in affrica. I send most of my fleet arround Malta and all starting troup from England to Egypt. Air cover can be a problem then I research long range fighter to reach malta. But then, if I play Italy the Brit dont seem to care about Africa.

Quite true, as a player you can mostly work around the issue, but once the AI is in control of the area the UK/Egypt city state does tend to ignore the area and in turn getting overrun by Italy.

Before the current version I had added some units to the brits via the worldbuilder, but for some reason I seem to be unable to get it to work proberly at the moment :D Then again I'm a complete noob at using the worldbuilder and also only spend 10 minutes with the current version :)

adding units via WB is not something the scenario is expecting (neither something I had planned at all, I was very surprised to see this working in T_KCommanderbly scenario... and then I adapted the code, but this is not something I officially support, thus the fix that will be needed for Zara class everywhere now that the limit is partially removed)

Add them in Lua, I can point you to the file to edit to do do. The WB should be used only to get the plot coordinate.

Hello Skibbi,

D. I think this mod, along with all others, are not internet co-op-able; do we know when this one will be?

Marc

It is right now, if you use the GMR program:http://multiplayerrobot.com/

It allow you to play hotseat game over internet(like a Play-By-Email game) and it work with most mods(it does work with this one!)

If you want to play with a friend AT THE SAME TIME, then you wont be able to, yet.

Hello Skibbi,

Thank you for your response.

C. Will these different Gedemon military projects all be placed into this one WW II mod?

Regards,

Marc

C. Yes, they are built in cities, like wonders. They spawn the units in the territory!
D. It isn't currently, but it has hotseat!

Workers (maybe infantry) should be able to create:
  • Mine fields - does damage to enemy unit but is destroyed
  • Trench/barbed wire - gives 50% defensive bonus to units stationed (yes, trenches were still used, like outside berlin)
  • Tank traps - uses up tanks movement points

I know I'm coming in very late to all of this, but I have some thoughts that might add to the game. If it has already been suggested, I appologise, but I don't think I can live long enough to read everything in this thread. Also, I am not a programmer, so if my ideas are not possible, please forgive me.

Also, please note that my observations have come from playing Germany in the 1939-1945 mod with history.

- Can Germany be a darker grey? German grey is much darker, or perhaps even S.S. black?

- Is it possible to have unit-free hexes that get cut off from supply to be captured?

- I noticed that i had to capture all of the cities of France to defeat it. Is it possible to have the remaining cities of france take steps similar to what Vichy France did after Paris and 2/3rds of the country were captured? Surrender, and autonomously support the axis.

- I know it requires a lot more work, but should there not have been a declaration of war by Germany against the USA on December 8th with American units starting to get involved?

- After conquering half of Poland, The USSR declared war on Poland (as per history), but in the game, Stalin wasn't very agressive. The same goes with the USSR against Finland.

- Have you given any thoughts to including anti-aircraft guns? They would be a nice addition. Perhaps you have already considered it, and feel that it is unbalanced?

- Could you arrange it so that bombing runs on cities could do damage to manufacturing? Doing damage to either the material supplied from the city or even affecting the actual manufacturing. The reason that I ask is that Dunkirk just kept getting bombed, even while at minimum health, and it would better symbolize industrial bombing.

- I noticed also that Italy jumped all over the USSR when war was declared, completely ignoring the Balkans. Can the actions of Italy be focused on the Mediteranian to symbolise Mussolini's desire of a Mediteranian Empire?

- Hexes that were captured by Italy that were within the influence of some cities I captured did not convert to German ownership. They should convert to the ownership of the person who captures the city, whether it's an ally or not.

- I noticed that whenever I had troops in Bulgaria, it reduced my influence on them, but even at -60, they didn't declare war.

- Is it possible to do a semi historical mod? With the major powers sticking to their historical actions, but being able to do other things to minor powers, such as convincing Spain to be a friend or ally, or being able to declare war on countries that didn't get involved in the war?

- What about Partisans? You could have a percent chance of partisan units forming in an occupied country. The % chance could be increased by situations such as the number of cities captured and reduced by the number of cities with an administrative building or garrisoned unit. What about the possibility of other countries providing financial support to the partisan chance in other countries?

- You could have a garrisoned unit providing the same effect of an administrative building.

I hope that some of these are possible. Also, as I get new ideas I will continue to share.

Awesome Mod BTW, I love it.

G.

P.S. sorry about the long post.

Workers (maybe infantry) should be able to create:
  • Mine fields - does damage to enemy unit but is destroyed
  • Trench/barbed wire - gives 50% defensive bonus to units stationed (yes, trenches were still used, like outside berlin)
  • Tank traps - uses up tanks movement points

This could be combined into one basic ability of infantry being able to build fortifications; symbolic of tank traps, trenches, mine fields, as well as improved fortifications such as the Maginot Line and the Atlantic Wall.

I know I'm coming in very late to all of this, but I have some thoughts that might add to the game. If it has already been suggested, I appologise, but I don't think I can live long enough to read everything in this thread. Also, I am not a programmer, so if my ideas are not possible, please forgive me.

Also, please note that my observations have come from playing Germany in the 1939-1945 mod with history.

- Can Germany be a darker grey? German grey is much darker, or perhaps even S.S. black?

- Is it possible to have unit-free hexes that get cut off from supply to be captured?

- I noticed that i had to capture all of the cities of France to defeat it. Is it possible to have the remaining cities of france take steps similar to what Vichy France did after Paris and 2/3rds of the country were captured? Surrender, and autonomously support the axis.

- I know it requires a lot more work, but should there not have been a declaration of war by Germany against the USA on December 8th with American units starting to get involved?

- After conquering half of Poland, The USSR declared war on Poland (as per history), but in the game, Stalin wasn't very agressive. The same goes with the USSR against Finland.

- Have you given any thoughts to including anti-aircraft guns? They would be a nice addition. Perhaps you have already considered it, and feel that it is unbalanced?

- Could you arrange it so that bombing runs on cities could do damage to manufacturing? Doing damage to either the material supplied from the city or even affecting the actual manufacturing. The reason that I ask is that Dunkirk just kept getting bombed, even while at minimum health, and it would better symbolize industrial bombing.

- I noticed also that Italy jumped all over the USSR when war was declared, completely ignoring the Balkans. Can the actions of Italy be focused on the Mediteranian to symbolise Mussolini's desire of a Mediteranian Empire?

- Hexes that were captured by Italy that were within the influence of some cities I captured did not convert to German ownership. They should convert to the ownership of the person who captures the city, whether it's an ally or not.

- I noticed that whenever I had troops in Bulgaria, it reduced my influence on them, but even at -60, they didn't declare war.

- Is it possible to do a semi historical mod? With the major powers sticking to their historical actions, but being able to do other things to minor powers, such as convincing Spain to be a friend or ally, or being able to declare war on countries that didn't get involved in the war?

- What about Partisans? You could have a percent chance of partisan units forming in an occupied country. The % chance could be increased by situations such as the number of cities captured and reduced by the number of cities with an administrative building or garrisoned unit. What about the possibility of other countries providing financial support to the partisan chance in other countries?

- You could have a garrisoned unit providing the same effect of an administrative building.

I hope that some of these are possible. Also, as I get new ideas I will continue to share.

Awesome Mod BTW, I love it.

G.

P.S. sorry about the long post.

Well, you need to enable the scripted events. Also, the bombing of factories coming soon. Partisans are unavaliable. Anti-Air guns, field guns and howitzers are gonna be released in next version. Yes, Mussolini is stupid to avoid greece!
Alternate history only affects minor powers i.e. france can attack spain.

Alternate history only affects minor powers i.e. france can attack spain.

I first tried 1939-45 with alternate history on and the Soviet Union declared war on me on turn 2 before either of us had declared war on Poland.

First, thank you for coming here to give feedback and suggestions, it's easier to follow discussion here for me.

Or Brown ? I think would be my first choice if a change was required, do we need it ?

I was not able to do it in Lua (Lua is fast for a scripted langage, but not fast enough to test supply path for each tile on the map), but with the source code available it may be doable without too much processing time.

Yep, already in, that's the "fall of..." events..

Planned. I don't exactly know how, or when it will be in, but planned.

Fixing that will depend on how much I'll be able to influence the AI using the DLL source code. (Alternatively it can be forced with the "military projects" mod mechanism)

Yes, and I didn't liked to have those units standing alone on the battlefield. With the "regiment" feature introduced in v.32 beta, this problem is solved and more "support" units will be added.

Planned. ATM the bombing on a city with low healt could lead to destruction of nearby improvement. I suppose you're still using the steam version of the mod (v.30) that have broken feature because of civilization patch .674 (the one just before G&K)

Those broken features are fully restored in v.31, but the installation is not as simple as steam version.

Same as USSR/Poland and USSR/Finland problem. But there are already some basic Lua controls of AI units that are in v.31 of the mod, and Italy should send more troops to Albania if Greece try to invade here. (and troops to Africa if by miracle the UK AI manage to invade Libya)

I want only the first ring to be "owned" by a city, the rest should be "free to conquer".

Now if I add some (pre-fixed at the scenario level) diplomatic arrangement at some point, it could fix that nicely (Italy get balkan/african territory when a german unit conquers one tile, Germany get soviet territory when an Italian unit conquers one tile...).

:think:

Hey, now that's a perfect idea, thanks ! :D

they don't in vanilla civ5 too IIRC. The "closed border" feature from version v.31 should help here.

Planned, see the 2-3 last pages of development thread for details.

Partisan are planned since the beginning, they are "just" not implemented (see France planned trait)

there could be projects to help partisans, yes.

Giving a bonus to a city with an administrative building is ok, but for one without administrative building, I'll keep only the partisan spawning rate reduced.

This could be combined into one basic ability of infantry being able to build fortifications; symbolic of tank traps, trenches, mine fields, as well as improved fortifications such as the Maginot Line and the Atlantic Wall.
Engineer regiments are planned, they'll be able to build railroads (when a road already exist) and forts. I'm also thinking of giving them the ability to salvage a % of materiel lost from damage for both side after a combat involving the unit they're linked to.

I first tried 1939-45 with alternate history on and the Soviet Union declared war on me on turn 2 before either of us had declared war on Poland.
Alternate History allows declaration of war outside the real calendar (but still force the declaration at the real time if the nation are still at peace). When it's ON you can also declare war on minor civs (which could lead from DoW between nation that were historically allied). You can gain influence with minors by liberating their territory or cities. A total free mode is planned.

Again, thank you for making this mod. You've made my year.

I want to appologise though, for the long novels I keep writing.

Or Brown ? I think would be my first choice if a change was required, do we need it ?

I think so, but that is just my opinion. When I was invading Yugoslavia, I found it very difficult to determine whether I was looking at German or Yugolavian territory; especially on the map in the corner. Dark gray would really stand out and not me confused with any other colour. I think the brown might be confused with Finland's brown. Why do you prefer brown?

Yes, and I didn't liked to have those units standing alone on the battlefield. With the "regiment" feature introduced in v.32 beta, this problem is solved and more "support" units will be added.

What about having an "arial defense" build option for cities. Something similar to baracades, but increases the city's defense against arial bombardment? Perhaps the British could even build radar stations.

Planned. ATM the bombing on a city with low healt could lead to destruction of nearby improvement. I suppose you're still using the steam version of the mod (v.30) that have broken feature because of civilization patch .674 (the one just before G&K)

Yes, unfortunately. Will you be adding updates to the steam version? If not, where do I go to get v.32? I will hopefully have G&K by the end of the year. What do you recommend?

I want only the first ring to be "owned" by a city, the rest should be "free to conquer".

Now if I add some (pre-fixed at the scenario level) diplomatic arrangement at some point, it could fix that nicely (Italy get balkan/african territory when a german unit conquers one tile, Germany get soviet territory when an Italian unit conquers one tile...).

:think:

Hey, now that's a perfect idea, thanks ! :D

I know this isn't history, but I don't think Hitler would have gone for that. When he conquered territory in the balkans, he wanted it for himself. lol

Would it be possible to purchase these territories from your allies? Say, for example, Germany captures Moscow and all of the cities around it, then Germany could purchase the three italian hexes from italy that are in the mix. I don't think it's realistic that one or two tiles inbetween would be owned by Italy. I don't think so, but that's just my opinion also.

Planned. I don't exactly know how, or when it will be in, but planned.

What about setting up the 1939-45 scenario on the larger map that you used for the 1936-45 scenario?

Engineer regiments are planned, they'll be able to build railroads (when a road already exist) and forts. I'm also thinking of giving them the ability to salvage a % of materiel lost from damage for both side after a combat involving the unit they're linked to.

What about having a destroyed unit symbol left on the map for a turn or two and the engineer can move on to that hex and salvage material. They can also be used to repair improvements.

I don't know much about the regiments. Are these the "attachable" units for other units?

Other thoughts:

- I noticed that subs will lose their movement when passing through a "zone of control" of any naval unit. What about only having that happen when passing through the zone of control of a destroyer. I don't think they should be stopped by those that cannot see them, unless they have already engaged that naval unit in that turn.

- Could bombers be used to destroy roads and railroads? This would, of course, only be good if you allowed engineer units to repair them.

- Can the game be moded so that flying units can do recon like in civ3? (I've not played civ4, so I don't know if that exists in that version) This way, you can see units out of sight of your land units.

- When bombing a city further behind enemy lines, is it possible that AA regiments or cities that are in the bomber's path to the target get a free defensive attack on the bomber?

- Could bombers be used to attack an empty hex, not to damage it, but to disrupt line of supply through that hex for one turn? Likewise, could they be used to provide a line of supply to an encircled unit for 1 turn?

- I didn't notice, but is there a morale penalty to units that are cut off from supply? This should definitely be included to symbolize a units greater willingness to surrender in the face of being destroyed (Ex: Soviet soldiers during Operation Barbarossa, German soldiers at Stalingrad and British soldiers at Hong Kong).

- I noticed that there were convoys going to Britain. I didn't see their origin though. Are there, and if not should there be, convoys coming from Canada as well as through lend-lease from the states? Perhaps you could have a new random unit gifted every x number of turns to England to symbolize Canada's involvement and the US lend-lease: Land units could appear on the edge of the map embarked and planes could appear in Northern Ireland, or somewhere on the west coast of Britain.

- Being a Canadian, I would love to see Canada as an independant civ, after all, we did have our own role to play in the war in Europe: Juno Beach, Dieppe, Joint effort in Italy and France, Liberation of Holland, etc. I guess, though, it is realistic that she be an independant city state. Perhaps Canada could gift units to Britain, since we did fight under their command, and have the new units named for Canada.

- I also noticed that when you look up units in the Civpedia they still have the generic text for that basic unit. If you wanted to include text for each one, I'd be happy to start writing.

Anyway, that's all for now. Sorry for another long read. But thanks for reading it, if you do.

I'm loving this, and I would love to help in anyway I can to make it even better.....if that's possible.

G.

I want to appologise though, for the long novels I keep writing.
Don't worry, and Iappologize too: there will be some short answer here :D

I think so, but that is just my opinion. When I was invading Yugoslavia, I found it very difficult to determine whether I was looking at German or Yugolavian territory; especially on the map in the corner. Dark gray would really stand out and not me confused with any other colour. I think the brown might be confused with Finland's brown. Why do you prefer brown?
I can think of 3 colors for Nazi Germany : Red/Black from the flag, Brown from the party (SA).

Red is for USSR, black is too dark for the map in my opinion, that leave brown.

What about having an "arial defense" build option for cities. Something similar to baracades, but increases the city's defense against arial bombardment? Perhaps the British could even build radar stations.
Maybe.

Yes, unfortunately. Will you be adding updates to the steam version? If not, where do I go to get v.32? I will hopefully have G&K by the end of the year. What do you recommend?
Latest version :D

But that depend highly on your computer skill, if you're not familiar with moving files around in your operating system, wait for a version that will allow simple installation.

See the beta thread and installation thread.

I know this isn't history, but I don't think Hitler would have gone for that. When he conquered territory in the balkans, he wanted it for himself. lol

Would it be possible to purchase these territories from your allies? Say, for example, Germany captures Moscow and all of the cities around it, then Germany could purchase the three italian hexes from italy that are in the mix. I don't think it's realistic that one or two tiles inbetween would be owned by Italy. I don't think so, but that's just my opinion also.
too complex. but "orphan" tiles removing is planned.

What about setting up the 1939-45 scenario on the larger map that you used for the 1936-45 scenario?
Planned. One day.

I'm not the author of all the scenario, T_KCommanderbly is making the bigger ones.

I don't know what is more time consuming: coding the core features, making scenarios or building a Cathedral. I'm sure of one thing, 24h a day is far not enough when modding is involved.

What about having a destroyed unit symbol left on the map for a turn or two and the engineer can move on to that hex and salvage material. They can also be used to repair improvements.
too complex (remember there is an AI to code when you add something so it can use it, else you give an advantage to the human player, and he don't need it)

I don't know much about the regiments. Are these the "attachable" units for other units?
yes.

- I noticed that subs will lose their movement when passing through a "zone of control" of any naval unit. What about only having that happen when passing through the zone of control of a destroyer. I don't think they should be stopped by those that cannot see them, unless they have already engaged that naval unit in that turn.
good idea. not sure if it would be easy to implement. Ignoring all ZOC is an option then.

- Could bombers be used to destroy roads and railroads? This would, of course, only be good if you allowed engineer units to repair them.
I plan to add strategic (factory improvement) and precision (road/rails) bombing.No ETA.

- Can the game be moded so that flying units can do recon like in civ3? (I've not played civ4, so I don't know if that exists in that version) This way, you can see units out of sight of your land units.
I hope it can 'cause I want that since day one.

- When bombing a city further behind enemy lines, is it possible that AA regiments or cities that are in the bomber's path to the target get a free defensive attack on the bomber?
too complex.

- Could bombers be used to attack an empty hex, not to damage it, but to disrupt line of supply through that hex for one turn? Likewise, could they be used to provide a line of supply to an encircled unit for 1 turn?
too complex.

had though on air supply, that's a maybe.

- I didn't notice, but is there a morale penalty to units that are cut off from supply? This should definitely be included to symbolize a units greater willingness to surrender in the face of being destroyed (Ex: Soviet soldiers during Operation Barbarossa, German soldiers at Stalingrad and British soldiers at Hong Kong).
morale is planned but nothing started code-side.

- I noticed that there were convoys going to Britain. I didn't see their origin though. Are there, and if not should there be, convoys coming from Canada as well as through lend-lease from the states? Perhaps you could have a new random unit gifted every x number of turns to England to symbolize Canada's involvement and the US lend-lease: Land units could appear on the edge of the map embarked and planes could appear in Northern Ireland, or somewhere on the west coast of Britain.
There are. Gold, Material, Personnel, Units. (edit: hover your mouse above the convoy flag)

- Being a Canadian, I would love to see Canada as an independant civ, after all, we did have our own role to play in the war in Europe: Juno Beach, Dieppe, Joint effort in Italy and France, Liberation of Holland, etc. I guess, though, it is realistic that she be an independant city state. Perhaps Canada could gift units to Britain, since we did fight under their command, and have the new units named for Canada.
Requirements:

- Units models (see Danrell's threads in the forum unit section for the available ones)
- material to make good DoM and diplo screen (including at least 8-9 WW2 poster related to that nation)
- mp3 speech of the leader
- introduction texts like for the other nation in the mod

feel free to open a thread if you have source/material for Canada.

- I also noticed that when you look up units in the Civpedia they still have the generic text for that basic unit. If you wanted to include text for each one, I'd be happy to start writing.
You can start writing :D

But before, have a look at what has already been made in TextsUnits.xml and TextsPedia.xml in the "\My Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\MODS\R.E.D. WWII Edition (v 30)\XML" folder.

Top Bottom