RBC12F - Fall of Rome Ostrogoths (demigod)

The story of the Reign of Kabuki II went as follows:

He inherited the mantle and axe in 482 AD when W. Rome was at 22850 VPs and the Ostrogoths at a mere 8820 VPs. The previous warlord left him an excellent empire and the only change he made was to order Respaweihs to produce spears rather than catapults. A single catapult was not exactly going to make any difference.

IBT:
Franks and Romans signed PT
W.R. HC appears near Theudiswarhei

1 (494)
- Dampstadhir - HC -> HC
- Eygoth - WL -> WL
- Fritigernhaims (Fritz) - Temple -> Barracks

Near Sirmium Vet WL vs. Vet L - W

Sardica:
- V WL vs. V L - W - / -1 + Marauder
- V HC vs. E HC 3/5 - W - /-3
Sardica Razed

VP: W.R. 23370 (520) - Ost 9640

IBT:
Vandals & Celts vs. Sassanids
Franks & Anglo-Saxons vs. Sassanids

- R. HC vs Spear (Theudis) - Spear W - Promotes
- R. HC vs HC (Near Galtis) - W / -2

2 (486)
Reidhgotland WL -> WL
Hreidmare HC -> HC
Cnivstavs HC -> HC
Resparweihs Sp -> Sp

Join 1 worker to Galtis
Join 1 slave (visigoth) to Anchialos
Establish Embassy w/ Sassanids

VP: W.R.: 23980 (610) Ostr: 9830

IBT:
E. Rome & Vandals vs. Sass
Vandals & E. Rome vs. Anglo Saxons
W.R. HC appears near Anchialos

3 (488)
V HC vs V HC (near Anchialos) W

VP: 24480 vs. 10000

IBT
Huns & Celts vs. Rome
R. V HC vs. V Mar (near Thessalonika) W /-1 Promotes

4 (490)
- Galtis WL -> WL set to 7t & no growth
- Anchialos WL -> WL set to 7t & no growth

Sirmium
- Vet WL vs Reg L W /-2
- Vet Ma vs Reg L W /-2
- Vet Ma vs Reg L W /-2

Thessalonika
- E* WL vs. Vet L W
- Army vs. Vet L W /-5 + Marauder
- Army vs. Vet L W

IBT - :sleep:

5 (492)

Thessalonika
- Vet WL vs. Vet L W /-1, Library, Marauder
- E* WL vs. Vet L W /-1, Barracks
- Army vs. Vet L W
- Army vs. Vet L W
=> Raze city

Sirmium
- Vet WL vs. Reg L W /-3, Prom, Marauder
- Vet WL vs. Reg L W /-2, Library
- Vet WL vs. Reg G W /-1
=> Raze city

Aquincum
- Reg WL vs. Vet L W /-2, Prom, Barracks
- Vet WL vs. Vet L L /-3
- Reg WL vs. Vet L W /-1, Prom
- Vet WL vs. Vet L L /-3
- Vet WL vs. Vet L W /-2
- Vet WL vs. Reg L W /-2
- Reg WL vs. Reg L L /-1

IBT
Huns and Anglo-Saxons vs. E. Rome
Byzantine land HC near Oestragarn

6 (404)

Reidhgotland WL -> WL
Bairuja HC -> HC

Mobile Defense WL (Oestragarn) vs. HC W /-1

Aquincum
- Vet 3/4 WL vs Reg Leg L /-1 Promotes
- Vet 2/4 WL vs Reg Leg W /Marauder
- Reg Mar vs. Vet 3/4 Leg W /-2
- Reg Mar vs. Vet 3/4 Leg W /Promotes
- Vet 2/4 WL vs. Vet 2/4 Leg W /Promotes
=> Raze

=> VP: W.R. 25980 vs. Ostr: 13045

I now scan the map to see how many cities Rome has lost and see that there is a max of seven (not listed) and a minimum of 4. A bit worrisome as we are quite far from the next two cities, the closest troops are all in need of rest, and the second closest have troops 4-5 turns out.

IBT - Byz Land cav near Oestergarn

7 (496)
- Damptsdhir HC -> HC

Near Brusa
- E WL vs. Vet Leg W /-1
- Reg Mar vs. Reg Leg L /-1
- E Mar vs. Reg 2/3 Leg W /-1

Brusa
Army vs. Reg Leg W /-1

VP: W.R. 26215 vs. Ostr 13295

IBT - E.R. HC vs. Vet 3/4 WL /Retreat, -2

8 (498)
- Hreidmare HC -> HC
- Eygoth WL -> WL
- Fritz Barracks -> Sp

Near Oestragarn
Vet HC vs Vet 2/4 HC W

Brusa
Army vs. Reg Leg W
=> Raze

Amorium
E 4/5 Pi vs. Reg Leg W /-3
Vet WL vs. Reg Leg W
=> Raze

In the humble year of 498 we get the following message:

That caught me a bit by surprise, I thought I would have to take Athens... However I am not complaining...

I now switch Bairuja, Hreidmare and Fritz to Galleys.

IBT:
Anglo Saxons Destroy Rome:confused:

Lots of Frankish troop movement near our cities... and troops. Looks like they are out for scalps.

Ok... That was an interesting between turns.

9 (500)
- Unrest in Reidmare, Dampstadhir and Eygoth - None of them grew, so it must have been war happiness. Ahh, and I fogot to do the scroll ahead. I was still reeling from the destruction of Rome.

- Set Lux to 30%
- Whip Galley in Fritz

- VPs at Ostrogoths 20205 vs. Anglo Saxons 12935

At this point Kabuki II decides to take an early retirement as he met his mandate. Rome has fallen and all that remains is to feast off its dead carcass and fight in the ruins of the giant. He feels for Rome, it was once beatiful and is now just a memory, just as his exploits will just be a memory.

---

Ok, I'm stopping here because the moves we make on this turn are going to be absolutely critical so I would like to talk it over and the turns need to be coherent under a plan, taking one move doesn't allow for this.

I think we can ride out the storm and win at end of game, with the lead we have. On the other hand the Franks are looking awfully aggressive and the Huns have lost 7 cities, and we have a lot of mobile defense in our core.

The Frank forces: A large group of Raiders just to the North of our core. And a group of 4+ WLs near some of our exposed troops by a former Roman city to the west.

VP Hunt: With a couple of galleys (2 due next turn and one the turn after) we can grap VPs in Asia Minor. We have troops heading for Italy, so they can probably grab the VPs there, as most enemies will be farther away (we hope).

The VPs for destroying a nation is significant, so I vote for going after the Huns, as they are the only ones we can at the moment can crush "right now". We will probably have to fight the Franks, but getting to their cities is not a viable option (IMHO). I think maybe the Vandals can be taken out, especially if we go all cav.

I leave the 6th Century in the capable hands of Aggie (Dwip asked for a switch).

500AD The Glory of Rome is no more

I'm still in shock. I see a whole lot of empty space on the map!!!

I think that this is going to be a race for the VP spots. We have to get galleys ASAP to catch a couple in Turkey. Also fast units have to rush to Italy. No?

The world map:

Rome:

Byzantines:

Victory Screen:

Sounds about right.

However killing the Huns will be a huge chunk right off the bat...
and then there is the minor detail about the Franks... Conquest gives a lot more VPs than the VP markers. And the game does not favor being defensive.

Regarding VPs. There should be some troops near Italy that can make it in time. The Turkish side will have to cannibalize from our mobile defense and take troops from Greece.

The Franks are the ones taking the VP's in Rome I suspect (being closest). They also have a lot of troops near us. My suggestion is to wait for the ROP te expire (4 turns) and then declare war on them. That way we can kill a lot of troops AND take the VP's in Italy. Those troops are moving towards the Sassinids. Suggestions welcome. I will be playing this tomorrow.

Since Dwip and Jack Merchant aren't around, I like suggestions from others as well :)

EDIT: Kabuki, your idea to go after the Huns appeals to me as well :) I shall see if I can split the forces. A few to take VP's and the bulk to take out the Huns.

EDIT2: I see only now that the Huns already lost 7 cities. Thanks for that GREAT tip Kabuki :thumbsup:

EDIT3: So now we are continuing a Fall of Rome scenario without a Rome? I think that this scenario should have ended at the moment that the 2nd Roman empire fell. With the one having the highest VP as winner. Anyway, we carry on :)

<pokes head in>

Reading, just not able to play right yet.

Good job on the Romes! We ought to have things well in hand at this point.

Definitely without fail off the Huns. Shouldn't be too difficult, depending on how many troops we've got in the area.

Definitely garrison the VP locations with at least a couple troops. Founding cities...maybe not, but at least drop a spare slave marauder or something on each one. Can't see a lot of reason not to.

The question of which barb civ to kill next is a little unclear to me. On the one hand, the Sassanids are big, scary, and haven't got anybody close but us. On the other hand, any army we send down there is going to take forever and ever to get back into the fighting.

The Vandals look nice and juicy, plus any army we send through there can just keep going and kill off the other barb civs as well.

That having been said, and without looking at the save I don't know how feasible this is, but...

Have the Roman armies split off a few of the weaker units to go sit on VP locations. Send the Roman/Byzantine armies after the Vandals. Scrape up any troops we have sitting at home, plus any reinforcements we can build, and send them for the Huns and then the Sassanids. If we've got nothing at home to send, then maybe the Byzantine armies to the Huns/Sassanids, the Roman armies to the Vandals.

Like I said, I haven't looked at the save, so I don't know if this is workable or not, but I think a plan like it needs to be adopted in order to get both the Sassanids AND the barb civs in our remaining 60 turns.

IHT: Obvious first targets are the Huns. We only need to capture one city from them to destroy them. I will send about 6 heavy cavalry to a remote city close to us. For that I will first buy a map and investigate a city when it's time.

Secondly, we have to get the VP's in Italy and Turkey. I send units VP to those locations. It is very far and we need units reassembled as well.

Thirdly, we need a next target. I will decide upon that after killing the Huns.

IT: The Franks and Vandals sign a MA vs the Anglo-Saxons.

Turn 1 (502 AD) The Franks guard a VP at modern day Venice with one spearman. We grab the Athens VP. I build a wine colony and luxury can now drop to 20%. I upgrade two marauders to warlords for 200 gold.

I give the Huns World Map and 150 gold for the territory map. Their empire is huge and Veliko Tarnovo appears to be the best bet.

Our VP's: 20305
Anglo-Saxons: 12960

IT: The Sassanids and Celts sign peace. The Vandals do the same. The Franks appear to turn around half of their troops. It even looks like they want one of our far away cities (Theudis...), but I think they want to use the road.

Turn 2 (504 AD) We claim a VP in NE Italy, but see a Frankish warlord in North Italy. I upgrade two raiders to warlords.

Our VP's: 20430 (+125)
Anglo's: 13145 (+185)

IT: The Franks are not after us and move west.

Turn 3 (506 AD)

VP's:20580 (+150)
Anglo's: 13190 (+45)

IT: Franks move away.

Turn 4 (508 AD) I investigate Veliko Tarnovo and see that it has 4 regular spears. I declare war on the Huns and move our troops in position. First two Heavy cavalry unloaded in Turkey to claim VP's.

VP's: 20730 (+150)
Anglo's: 13745 (+555)

Turn 5 (510 AD) Five Heavy Cavalry kill 4 spears plus a warrior and:

The Anglo Saxons already lost 5 cities and are weak compared to us. This is our next victim :)
We claim the VP on the site where Rome once was.

VP's: 27290 (+6560)
Anglo's: 14280 (+535)

IT: The ROP with the Franks is cancelled. The Franks want us to join against the Anglo-axons. Not yet.

Turn 6 (512 AD) The VP in Western Turkey is not occupied yet. The one in middle of Turkey is guarded by a Sassadin spear.

IT: The Sassadins send a HC unit into our lands.

Turn 7 (514 AD) We probably are too late. The Anglo-Saxons already lost 7 cities and all roads are blocked. The VP in Western Turkey is ours.

IT: The Anglo-Saxons and Vandals signed peace. A LOT of Sassadin troops in our lands now. I assume they are not after us.

Turn 8 (516 AD) The Franks block the way to a Anglo-Sackson city. I can't hold myself anymore. I ask them to remove their three raiders and Franks declare war on us. Three vet warlords kill three raiders. One promotes.

About six warlords take out six of the Franks.
Two marauders die while trying to capture a VP.

IT: We lose a couple of warlords, a.o. one on a VP. That VP is now for the Franks.

Turn 9 (518 AD)

VP: 28485
Anglos: 14850

I declare war on the Anglo-Saxons and move in a SoD.

Our warlord army kills two spear and get two marauders and finally we raze a Frankish city (forgot the name).
A warlord is killed by another warlord on a VP point.
A walord is killed by a spear on another VP, but then a marauder kills the wounded spear. We will surely lose this VP again though, it is in the middle of the Frankish empire.

IT: We lose two warlords near the final Anglo city vs the Franks.

Turn 10 (520 AD) Elite warlord kills vet spear and:

We now have 30635 VP's
The Sassadins, wo now overflow our empire (20 HC's - of to the Franks?), have 11010.

The Vandals appear to be next, with 4 lost cities. But we are at war with the Franks.

Warlord kills spear and we take a VC in NE Italy.
Two warlords kill two Frankish warlords.
Marauder kills warlord.

It's a mess out there. Sorry :o

We now have 30935 VP's
The Sassadins have 11010.

I think we can get there bykilling the Franks. The Sassadins are in our territory but I suspect that they now seek their other enemy - the Franks - after the Huns were killed.

520 AD save

See it. Can we do it in 10 turns? We shall see. We shall see.

Thanks. But in hindsight it would have been better to raze the last Anglo city. Now it would count as a lost city, even if we abandon it I think. And that is what we probably have to do, because the troops should be on the move :hammer:

I started blocking the road for the Sassadins. I tried to lead them to the north out of our empire.

I'll abandon it at some point. For now, it's making a nice rally point for our guys. Because the Franks sure do have a lot of troops.

[0] 520 AD - Well, here we are. 4k VP to go, gaining bunches each turn. We'll need to eliminate the Franks pretty quick, without letting the Sassanids get there. That may or may not put us over the top. We have at most seven Frankish cities to kill, and we have an army in the middle of their empire. We can do it.

Speaking of the Sassanids, they sure do have a lot of troops kicking around. In our territory, no less. Get ugly if they turn on us, but let's hope they won't.

(IBT) - The Celts sign up against the Sassanids. I'm thinking we won't need to be fighting them. The Franks sure do have a lot of guys.

[1] 522 AD - Damp Cav->Cav, Theud Spear->Spear.

I have no idea what to do with all these workers. I do know how to kill Franks, though, so I do. Die Franks.

And assuming I live through the next round or so of Frankish attacks, we'll be set.

VP 31290 (+355) Assuming we continue at this rate and I don't manage to eliminate the Franks, we're done in 11 turns.

(IBT) - We lose the VP spot up near the Franks.

[2] 524 AD - Respa Spear->Spear, Veduc Cav->Cav.

Through some good combat luck, we wipe out four or five Frank Warlords.

VP 31790 (+500) Yeah. This isn't going to see the end of my turns, I don't think.

(IBT) - The Vandals sign up with the Sassanids against the Franks/Celts. This could be entertaining. Too, we manage to do passably well against the Frankish hordes.

[3] 526 AD - Bairauja Cav->Cav.

Fortunately, we're doing pretty good against the Franks, because we're in serious need of the reinforcements that are 3 odd turns away.

VP 32290 (+530)

(IBT) - The Franks get all puppetish for some reason, and head for us.

[4] 528 AD - Reid Warlord->Warlord, Hreidmare Cav->Cav, Oestergarn Spear->Spear (who cares? These'll never get there in time...)

Kill some Franks on a VP on the road to their place. Also kill a bunch of Franks outside our base up there. The reinforcements are still two turns off.

VP 32670 (+380) It'll pick up next turn from the combat, I bet.

(IBT) - Or the Franks could just not attack us. That works too.

[5] 530 AD - We get troops.

We also kill a LOT of Franks. We also land on a VP in North Africa.

VP 33235 (+565) Soon, my precious...soon...nasty Frankses shall pay...

(IBT) - We're leaking Sassanids pretty bad. Not like it actually matters.

[6] 532 AD - Assorted Franks dead, though not a lot as we need to heal SOMETIME. Land on the Egypt VP.

VP 33695 (+460)

(IBT) - The Franks want peace. I'm sure that they do, too.

[7] 534 AD - We get hit by plague. Suck. Oh well.

I'll be damned if I don't get to sack at least ONE Frankish city before this ends. Everybody who can marches on Paris.

VP 34090 (+385)

(IBT) - A huge Vandal stack moves up to Paris.

[8] 536 AD - We get troops.

Just because we can, we take the VP at what would've been Milan.

Bye Paris.

VP 34535 (+445) It WILL be over by the end of my 10th turn, I garuntee you. ;)

[9] 538 AD - Various slaughtering happens.

And guess what greets us for 440?

Saved the world for barbarism

Just hit end turn, and wait for the Sassanids to march past.

Listen to some of the things they have to say after. Pretty funny.

As befitting our barbarous selves, the Persians own the top cities list, and we're first in basically nothing.

At the end of the day, we have 35315 VPs, as opposed to the Sassanids' 11585. The real score is somewhere in the 56k range. (!)

--------

Well team, it's been great fun playing with y'all. Been looking forward to the Fall of Rome scenario for quite a while, and it's definitely lived up to expectations. Good times. Good times.

First place in calendar-time victory, our 'brother' Goths race home to a glorious victory! :hammer:

Well done! Even if... cough... the Vizigoths were a mere warm-up for your war machine. You lost more warlords in battle than the Celts are likely to ever see built! :lol:

:goodjob:
Charis

Can you believe the Sassanids not finishing off the Huns after they'd lost 7 cities already ? :eek: And us destroying no less than four civilizations ? :lol:

Great going, all !

Top Bottom