Remolten's Civilizations

Remolten

Chieftain
Emperor Nero of the Roman Empire
Download here and unzip into Documents/Aspyr/Sid Meier's Civilization V/MODS

UA Blazing Heathens: Double :tourism: Tourism while :c5razing: Razing a City in Resistance.

UU Roman Legion: Unlike the Swordsman, which it replaces, the Roman Legion has 13 combat strength and starts with the Cover I Promotion. It also provides a one-time bonus of 10 :c5science: Science upon death. The Roman Legion can only be built by The Roman Empire.

UB Roman Colosseum: Unlike the Colosseum, which it replaces, the Roman Colosseum provides +1 :c5greatperson: Great Person Points towards a Great Musician, contains a slot for a :greatwork: Great Work of Music, and provides +2 :c5happy: Happiness. Costs +10 :c5production: Production to build. The Roman Colosseum can only be built by The Roman Empire.

What's Working
  • Everything necessary for gameplay
  • Tooltips/Info for Uniques
What's Not Working
  • No new art/icons
  • No custom events decisions or other mod integration
  • No unique leader screen (Uses Caesar's)
  • None of the civilopedia history entries
  • Balance?
Feedback Requested
  • Is the Civ balanced?
  • Is it fun to play against?
  • Are the uniques easy to understand?
  • Text errors/suggestions
  • Bugs
  • Any other criticisms

This is my first modded civilization. All feedback is appreciated, even negative feedback. Thanks for looking!

PS: If you are willing to contribute any art or text entries, all help is greatly appreciated! Just send me a PM or reply here in the thread.

Attachments

• Romans - Emperor Nero (v 1).zip
    42.6 KB · Views: 181
Hello, I like that your UA requires city to be in resistance, it indicates some thought behind it.

I personally do not like or even understand the "death bonuses" like this science boost.
Naming an unit Roman Legion may turn into "Roman Roman Legion" in name, you could use other name like Praetorian Guard or something.
Roman Colosseum could be probably renamed as well, even with something generic like Villa.

About art, Legion and Colosseum icons taken from game are ok. You should request the Civ Icon and alpha icon (people are quite helpful in this matter, because it is easy) - I think in Graphic Modpacks subforum. You should do fine with Caesar's leaderscene and icon, because there is only one mercenary artist here doing it and he is a busy person.

Good luck.

Hello, I like that your UA requires city to be in resistance, it indicates some thought behind it.

1. I personally do not like or even understand the "death bonuses" like this science boost.
  2. Naming an unit Roman Legion may turn into "Roman Roman Legion" in name, you could use other name like Praetorian Guard or something.
  3. Roman Colosseum could be probably renamed as well, even with something generic like Villa.
  4. About art, Legion and Colosseum icons taken from game are ok. You should request the Civ Icon and alpha icon (people are quite helpful in this matter, because it is easy) - I think in Graphic Modpacks subforum. You should do fine with Caesar's leaderscene and icon, because there is only one mercenary artist here doing it and he is a busy person.

Good luck.

Thank you for testing.

1. What is confusing about the death bonus? Basically, whenever a Roman Legion dies, you get +10 science for one turn in the capital city. Does the text need to be changed/clarified?
  2. I will look into renaming the legion to something else.
  3. Same as above.
  4. I will definitely check out trying to get some custom icons/art.

Thanks for the feedback. Any comments on the balance?

All sounds very cool Remolten I particularly like the death bonus concept, just an idea you could allocate 1 food possibly to the Colosseum under the concept of "bread and circuses" so to speak,
anyways that's just my 2 cents worth

I'm pretty sure he perfectly understands what the science bonus does. The question is more of a matter of... why?

I'm not sure that people do not in fact understand what the death science bonus even does; does it simply contribute a one off 10 science to you current research, like expending a great scientist for research, or does it add 10 science per turn? With the latter of those two, my concern would be that you can basically cheat by building up huge armies and allowing them to be decimated in wars. The former of those two sounds pretty pointless, unless when the legion becomes available, the player has high enough prouduction and resources to create and support a massive army which they will then send in to war with the purpose of losing, not allowing any of your soldiers to survive. Because otherwise, if you have say only 50 legion units, and only some of them die, then the extra science benefit will be very limited.

Anyway, a mechanic which supports losing seems weird, at least in my opinion.

I'm not sure that people do not in fact understand what the death science bonus even does; does it simply contribute a one off 10 science to you current research, like expending a great scientist for research, or does it add 10 science per turn? With the latter of those two, my concern would be that you can basically cheat by building up huge armies and allowing them to be decimated in wars. The former of those two sounds pretty pointless, unless when the legion becomes available, the player has high enough prouduction and resources to create and support a massive army which they will then send in to war with the purpose of losing, not allowing any of your soldiers to survive. Because otherwise, if you have say only 50 legion units, and only some of them die, then the extra science benefit will be very limited.

Interesting point SMcM however if someone is going to play the mod with intention of cheating then there are alot of better ways to achieve a better result (IMO) like using IGE unless of course the AI use it that way then that would be a problem. I for example like to preserve my units (I get quite attached to them in nerdy kind of way) so they gain experience upon experience so in the later era's afew are ubered out...kinda :)

Apologies in advance for the long post.

All sounds very cool Remolten I particularly like the death bonus concept, just an idea you could allocate 1 food possibly to the Colosseum under the concept of "bread and circuses" so to speak,
anyways that's just my 2 cents worth

Good idea. I'll see if there is any way to add food to the building without breaking balance.

I'm pretty sure he perfectly understands what the science bonus does. The question is more of a matter of... why?

While I was doing research on Wikipedia, I learned that the Legion was not the name for a specific unit, but for the entire Roman army. Additionally, Wikipedia states that one of the major factors of the Romans' success was that:

Wikipedia said:
"the main reason for the Romans becoming masters of the world was that, having fought successively against all peoples, they always gave up their own practices as soon as they found better ones."

This led me to the inspiration that it would be cool to add science to the civ whenever one of these units dies (simulating defeat in battle), and learning from their mistakes and improving their tech.

----
This picture from 'Ryse: Son of Rome' would serve as a good leader scene for Nero:

Currently, it adds science by adding a invisible building to the capital city with a science yield of 10. This building stays in the capital for one turn before being removed. I am aware that this can be somewhat exploited, because various percentage modifiers will increase the yield. Unfortunately, I did not find any way while creating the mod to dynamically modify the total science yield of the civ without using a dummy building.

Good picture as well. I will definitely be adding that to the next version.

Interesting point SMcM however if someone is going to play the mod with intention of cheating then there are alot of better ways to achieve a better result (IMO) like using IGE unless of course the AI use it that way then that would be a problem. I for example like to preserve my units (I get quite attached to them in nerdy kind of way) so they gain experience upon experience so in the later era's afew are ubered out...kinda :)

This is a good point. There is plenty of modded civilizations that could be played a certain way and be considered an exploit. So yes, you could save up an army of 100 legions and attempt to execute them all in one turn, and have massive science percentage modifiers in the capital city to give you +1000 or more in a turn. You could also capture 10 cities at once and raze them to get your tourism doubled ten times. I wouldn't really call these exploits, but rather thinking outside of the box and interacting with the civ in interesting ways.

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

COMING SOON
I will be looking to add a custom graphics (leaderscreen and icons) to the next version, as well as some potential balance changes. If anyone has feedback on balance, that would be extremely helpful.

Top Bottom