Revolution: with BarbarianCiv, Rebellion, AIAutoPlay

i guess it’s a matter of preference.

i usually play on epic and am more of an aggressive builder – focus on my own empire, but always having an eye on some neighbor cities. i like those sudden threats from militaristic barb civs. maybe i’m in the middle of building infrastructure and suddenly there’s a major threat to my north because monte just united the barbarian hordes. it just seems to add to the challenges of leading your civ, which i’m all for.

i know what it feels like to see those 6 horsemen and 6 axemen bearing down on your new city guarded by 2 archers with walls only half finished. again, part of the fun for me is adjusting and responding to that. but, to each their own. :goodjob:

I agree with Cincinnatus. Rather than just continually giving the AI more and more bonuses (ie increasing the difficulty level), I think this mod adds a bit more challenge to the game. Besides that, I like to think it more accurately simulate real history. I play my games on large maps with only China, Greece, Persia, Egypt, and India to start, and I've modded my barbarians to truly spawn in hordes. New civs form and replace these ancient ones and I think it's a little more interesting that way.

Sigh...

yOu're missing the damn point.

Firstly, what I was up against was WAY more than 12 units. More like 22-30.

Secondly, this is on Marathon speed; I have a lot less time to build up troops to stop it.

in re-reading your first post about it, it really does sound like bad luck.

i've seen it happen before - when there's two barb cities relatively nearby each other and one turns into a full blown civ, the other one kind of joins in with it. in your case - both got the 'standard' number of units for 1 new civ. you understand what i mean?

normally (and if i'm wrong, somebody please correct me), a new civ only gets maybe 12-15 units. but because the one city turned a full blown and sort of ecplised another nearby barb city, it gave each 12-15 units, which is why you suddenly faced a sid-like horde.

normally, and i think this holds true no matter what speed you play on, you'd only get the new civ having 12-15 units.

Sorry for the late reply. It looks like things are going great - and thus that I can do is wait for this wonderful MOD.
As I stated earlier: If there is anything I can do to help then please say so - if not then I will wait for the release and write feedback based on fine tuning it.

Good luck!
:thumbsup:

GenocideBringer said:
Yes, understandable..but I don't want it eliminated completely, I just want to have some chance against it. It'd be fine for normal mode...is there a way to scale it down for Epic or Marathon modes?
I hadn't tried it on Marathon ... is the issue that it takes you a long time to build units, so you can't build up enough defense to deal with the onslaught? Or that it's happening earlier than you're ready for it? It certainly can be adjusted, but as the others have pointed out, it is supposed to be a real threat ... so I'm just trying to understand what makes Marathon different to figure out the best way to compensate. Were you also playing with raging barbs by any chance? If nothing else, I'll put in a config variable so you can change the military strength to suit your tastes.

Thanks for the feedback, I hope you found it fun even with the large invasion.

Cincinnatus3 said:
normally (and if i'm wrong, somebody please correct me), a new civ only gets maybe 12-15 units. but because the one city turned a full blown and sort of ecplised another nearby barb city, it gave each 12-15 units, which is why you suddenly faced a sid-like horde.

normally, and i think this holds true no matter what speed you play on, you'd only get the new civ having 12-15 units.
You are correct ... the capital gets a few extra units, and then most of the cities get 12-15 ... in later eras it's more like 12-18. One modification, which should probably be done, is to drop off the number of units on the rare occasion a barb civs get more than two cities. It's happened a handful of times in my tests (usually on Terra maps, one time two huge barb settlements battled it out with 40+ units each ...).

Just an update for those of you who may be waiting for the next big update ... I'm typing this on a new computer, which while exciting, has delayed progress on this mod (and other things too). Don't know quite what happened to the previous laptop (it was just over three years old, and just out of warranty), but it now only runs reliably with 512MB of ram (one stick). With the two sticks in there, it will randomly blue screen. But with either (!) of the individual sticks, in either ram slot, it seems stable ... but playing Civ4 into the late game stages with that little memory is a real pain. Especially if you're switching out to write code, back in ... so I had to upgrade =) Not just for Civ, but the new dual core sure will be nice.

Anyway, I've almost got the new puter fully loaded and ready to go ... so Revolutions here we come. I'll aim for Monday evening.

I hadn't tried it on Marathon ... is the issue that it takes you a long time to build units, so you can't build up enough defense to deal with the onslaught? Or that it's happening earlier than you're ready for it? It certainly can be adjusted, but as the others have pointed out, it is supposed to be a real threat ... so I'm just trying to understand what makes Marathon different to figure out the best way to compensate. Were you also playing with raging barbs by any chance? If nothing else, I'll put in a config variable so you can change the military strength to suit your tastes.

Thanks for the feedback, I hope you found it fun even with the large invasion.

Yeah, it's an awesome mod, but I had to restart my game.

On Marathon speed, it takes too long to build up a military force...twice as long.By the time I get a couple axemen, they will have a bunch of troops in the middle of my cities. It wasn't happening earlier than I was ready for it. I had no enemies really near me, so I was expanding out pretty aggressively. I saw barbarians coming so I sent out a force to deal with the cities...

While I was laying siege to one of the two cities (waiting for more of my troops to arrive to take it) it flipped to Isabella. I had a pretty sufficient military (although perhaps not as big as I should have)

I was not playing on raging barbs.

A config file to change the # of barbs would be awesome :)

Thanks for a kickass mod.

GenocideBringer said:
Yeah, it's an awesome mod, but I had to restart my game.

On Marathon speed, it takes too long to build up a military force...twice as long.By the time I get a couple axemen, they will have a bunch of troops in the middle of my cities. It wasn't happening earlier than I was ready for it. I had no enemies really near me, so I was expanding out pretty aggressively. I saw barbarians coming so I sent out a force to deal with the cities...

While I was laying siege to one of the two cities (waiting for more of my troops to arrive to take it) it flipped to Isabella. I had a pretty sufficient military (although perhaps not as big as I should have)
Hehehe ... gotcha ;) Dealing with barb cities quickly is certainly a good idea, as they could spring up at any moment and come rolling in ... but laying siege is dangerous. The barb civ will declare war on someone in this order:

Spoiler :

1) Cities previous owner (if not barbs) ... this handles the case where some barbs capture a city that then settles into a full civ. The militaristic odds are higher in this case. This provides some continuity to the barb invasion so they keep coming after the same civ.

2) A player they can contact. After placing the new civs units, if they can contact a player (basically means their units are camped right outside the barb city), then that's the chosen victim. Doesn't affect odds of going militaristic, but means they will attack anyone camping outside their gates (probably a siege).

3) A player who is close. The new version has a different definition than what's up here now, but if you're close you may be in trouble.

4) If none of those options are available, they declare war on the first civ they meet in the next 30 turns ... after 30 turns, I figure they've "lost their edge."

That doesn't affect the size of the uprising, and there's a chance Issy would have declared on you anyway ... but you were asking for it :mischief:

Cincinnatus3 said:
sounds great, jdog. can you give us a little preview of what you'll be changing?
Here's the list as it stands now ... the Revolution part is just a stub as it's completely rewritten so I didn't keep track of changes. I'll put up a preview of what will be in the Revolution part sometime soon.

Changes for (as of yet unreleased) version 0.5:

Added option to display which mod components are active on mod initialization
Added RevUtils.py file containing many utilities shared by Rebellion and Revolution and other components

SDK
- Exposed CvPlayer::setFoundedFirstCity to Python in CyPlayer
- Exposed CvCity::getNumRevolts and CvCity::changeNumRevolts in CyCity

Rebellion
- Fixed bug when rebels spawned as barbarians in late stages of game
- Fixed strange behavior when city attempt to rebel back to original owner after more the 25 turns of rebel ownership
- Fixed bug where rebels recapturing former city could lose some of previous culture
- Fixed bug where rebel enlistment could be limited by war, even when rebel player was dead
- Fixed bug where a reincarnated rebel could have a negative tech score
- Fixed bug that caused "allowHappyRebellions" setting to not work
- Rebelling cities now go into disorder in addition to spawning rebel units
- When a rebelling city is joining an existing rebellion, rebel enlistment is increased
- Rebels can now also spawn in unowned and rebel territory
- Cost for buying off rebels who would be joining an existing rebellion increased
- Fixed bug where a rebel who once owned a city, died, then rebelled and then died without retaking city, could subsequently be overwritten
- Fixed similar bug where reincarnated rebel who fails then no longer shows in info graphs
- Rebelling cities will now join significant culture player in war against owner, not just dominant
- Rebels will now get units within 1 era of player's current era
- The reduction in rebellions while at war was decreased
- Seperate config variable for number of turns of no rebellion after buyoff
- Buyoff costs increased for very wealthy empires
- Repeated instances of rebels from a certain city more likely to be same civ type
- Rebels will now go with similar style to city owner if all styles similar to majority culture are taken (if both taken, it's random)
- Rebels now get one of city's non-state religions
- Rebels who take a city now get culture in the city, plot, and surrounding plots. This fixes the issue of rebels having no initial cultural borders
- Added config variable to control the strength of culture in a city captured by rebels
- Rebel civ type only reset when city is captured by that civ type
- When looking for a rebel civ, now will reincarnate dead civs with culture in nearby plots

Revolution
- New implementation using revolution index
- New configuration variables
- Peaceful and violent revolutions

BarbarianCiv
- Increased chance of Classical era barb settling
- If city previously owned by a civ, barb civ will declare war on them
- Fixed potential multiplayer issue stemming from use of gc.getActivePlayer() (reported by Gerikes)
- Militaristic barb civs will only declare war on "nearby" civs, instead of just on same continent
- Added config variable for how close "nearby" is (requested by suspendedinlight)
- Changed "viking style" so it doesn't require boats
- All cities now given using plot().setOwner which creates replay messages

AIAutoPlay
- Now pressing Ctrl-Shift-X while in automation cancels automation
- Added option to not show new leader popup for user initiated abdication

That doesn't affect the size of the uprising, and there's a chance Issy would have declared on you anyway ... but you were asking for it

but...those meaniehead barbarians said nasty things about me. What was I supposed to do? :(
Hehehe ... gotcha Dealing with barb cities quickly is certainly a good idea, as they could spring up at any moment and come rolling in ... but laying siege is dangerous. The barb civ will declare war on someone in this order:

Heh, okay. Most likely the problem was that I and Hatshepsut shared a huge continent...Gengis Khan was there too, but he was too small to matter.

I've gotten PMs from someone trying to combine them ... it shouldn't be too hard as I believe they wouldn't be touching the same places, but Sevo uses his own custom event manager is non-trivial. If I wasn't so pumped about making this mod, I'd probably being trying out Sevo's ...

jdog5000: I do enjoy the ideas you have placed in your mod. I love it!

I am also bent towards Sevo3 Mod. Both have nice options. However, I have always been bent on the best of everything.

I guess I could spend a few hours Saturday and combine Sevo3 Mod(which I have the add-ons) with this mod. Perhaps I could make a patch file. The file would be adding this mod to sevomod(call it a Sevo3 add-on) and maybe another mod that adds this one with the current Sevo3 add-ons to Sevo3.

I'm not trying to say your mod is not good without Sevo3, because it is great alone, I just want to see what both together would look like!

With your permission I will attempt to merge this with Sevo3.

Dave

Nexushyper said:
jdog5000: I do enjoy the ideas you have placed in your mod. I love it!

I am also bent towards Sevo3 Mod. Both have nice options. However, I have always been bent on the best of everything.

I guess I could spend a few hours Saturday and combine Sevo3 Mod(which I have the add-ons) with this mod. Perhaps I could make a patch file. The file would be adding this mod to sevomod(call it a Sevo3 add-on) and maybe another mod that adds this one with the current Sevo3 add-ons to Sevo3.

I'm not trying to say your mod is not good without Sevo3, because it is great alone, I just want to see what both together would look like!

With your permission I will attempt to merge this with Sevo3.

Dave
Absolutely! This code is for community enjoyment, so you and everyone else are free to do whatever you want with it. I would recommend, when you decide to post your combo mod, you create your own thread and post a link here. Don't want too many things going on in one place.

That being said, I'd recommend you wait a few days for the new version of this mod ... you probably wouldn't have to redo much work to replace versions, but why not do the work once? Just an idea. I'm still aiming to release that on Monday, with the majorly reworked Revolution component basically in beta. The AI part will work fine, but I can't test all the human popup interface stuff in a short timeline. The python event handling, which will be the part you need to merge, probably won't change too much after that.

Thanks jdog5000 for the permission and the idea.

I see you mod the .dll file. So the weekend will give me the time I need to learn the process of merging dlls.

Hopefully I can make the add-on and I will post a new thread with a link here.

Again thanks, and keep up the good work!

Top Bottom