Resource icon

[BNW] Rhye's Catapult 2020-06-02

Oh my god, I can't believe it. My primetime as a modder came and went while you were gone, and I just happened to get the itch to make some mods again like last week.

Really excited to check this out, I haven't been able to enjoy a strategy game without good cliodynamics since I got my first taste with RFC. I'm playing more EU4 and now Imperator these days, but I'll have to dust off my Civ5 skills...

BTW, I'm seeing a problem already; the game won't autoplay if you Alt+tab out... idk if you have any control over that though.

Welcome.
The game won't autoplay? So far I can leave it in the background and never encountered any problem. Please let me know if it happens again.

Hi, Rhye - can you give us some report on how things go with Catapult?
Not that I have much time to play... I am just curious... :)

It does autoplay, but only while it's fullscreened. For some reason it pauses when it's backgrounded.

Thoughts so far from an Inca game:
  • Early civs have a clear advantage in tech/gold/etc, probably need to steepen the curve a little more.
  • Netherlands respawned and collapsed a turn later.
  • AI Euros also like to pick on Netherlands, they were constantly getting attacked.
  • Incas are kind of blocked in like in RFC, but rushing optics lets you hack your way out of the box.
  • Inca homeland doesn't work well, I think. There's not a lot of nearby places to put terraces. Qusqu also looks impossible for the AI to conquer. I made an alternate map if you're interested, not sure how well it works though.

Attachments

• Rhye's_Earth_134x74_v028.Civ5Map
    163.3 KB · Views: 96
Okay yeah, there's some other map weirdness. Behold, the underwater quarries of Seattle!

Another thing... are you planning to release your rise and fall mechanics as a modcomp? Although I'm not sure if anyone used it effectively, embryodead's RFC skeleton was a great idea at the time, and I think having that available for regional RFCs might rejuvenate the Civ5 mod scene.

Last edited:
Okay yeah, there's some other map weirdness. Behold, the underwater quarries of Seattle!

Another thing... are you planning to release your rise and fall mechanics as a modcomp? Although I'm not sure if anyone used it effectively, embryodead's RFC skeleton was a great idea at the time, and I think having that available for regional RFCs might rejuvenate the Civ5 mod scene.

Great, thanks. I will take a look. All suggestions for balancing are very welcome.
I don't think I can make a modcomp. The whole thing seems to not go along well with other mods.

Hi, Rhye - can you give us some report on how things go with Catapult?
Not that I have much time to play... I am just curious... :)

I am preparing a new patch.
A few main fixes:

- Fixed workers bug
- Fixed city states having modern techs
- Revised immunity periods and collapses
- Revised minor respawn mechanic
- Revised settle AI
- Revised city defences
- Tundra produces 0 food
- Blocked ways to Arctic
- City states won't spawn on roads

Last edited:
I am also adding a new feature for which I would like to hear your suggestions.
When the human player civ collapses (please notice: stability system is not made yet), the empire will split not only in independent factions, but also a "rebel" faction, which is a duplicate of your own civ, with inverted colours.
I am thinking of some suggestions for the rebel faction for each civ, inspired by historical civil war events. If I don't have a specific name, I will use rebel+civ name.
This is a shortlist so far:

Heavenly Chinese Kingdom
Revolutionary England
Vichy France
Confederate States of America
Second Spanish Republic
Japanese Shogunate
Chinchasuyu
Tlaxcala

I am also thinking of adding in the future Israel as 1-city limited playable civ. What do you think?

That definitely seems viable, though if we're talking about including 1-city playable civs, I might dredge up a request I foolishly made to DoC 7+ years ago and posit that maybe Venice should be included?

Also, Babylon probably needs a nerf of some kind related to its UP; the early great scientist allows for so much tech snowballing. Potential fixes:
  • Push back the tech that triggers the free Great Scientist or get rid of the free Great Scientist
  • Make a certain tech requirement for Academy somewhat later along the tech tree (if I build an Academy on turn 50, it takes me only ~10 turns to make the amount of science I'd have gotten off of bulbing versus when you're bulbing for 1000+ beakers later in the game).

Something's strange about the map, how do you determine whether a tile is accessible or not? Mountains and deserts seem to be a mix of passable/impassable. With RFAC, I added an extra jungle type and made it impassable, but I think that showed up in the map editor :confused:

This is a shortlist so far:

Heavenly Chinese Kingdom
Revolutionary England
Vichy France
Confederate States of America
Second Spanish Republic
Japanese Shogunate
Chinchasuyu
Tlaxcala

Chinchaysuyu works. Tlaxcala seems off, they weren't a core part of the Aztec empire. Maybe Texcoco?

Something's strange about the map, how do you determine whether a tile is accessible or not? Mountains and deserts seem to be a mix of passable/impassable. With RFAC, I added an extra jungle type and made it impassable, but I think that showed up in the map editor :confused:

No change about mountains.
Deserts are impassable to settlers.

Chinchaysuyu works. Tlaxcala seems off, they weren't a core part of the Aztec empire. Maybe Texcoco?

Texcoco was part of the Triple Alliance, isn't it? While Tlaxcala was the state who helped the Spanish

No change about mountains.
Deserts are impassable to settlers.

That makes some sense. Desert hills are still passable though, IIRC features get priority over terrain.

Doesn't explain why some mountains were passable though, maybe it's a different mystery...

Texcoco was part of the Triple Alliance, isn't it? While Tlaxcala was the state who helped the Spanish

Yeah. The actual Aztec state was relatively small compared to the empire, the majority of the empire was a loose collection of tributary subjects. I don't think the core Aztec state ever broke up in a civil war the way we understand it, it was still a young and growing empire when the Spanish arrived. Maybe Tepanec could work though?

I'm not sure the Aztecs ever conquered Tlaxcala. They did fight a lot, but the Flower Wars were more like ritualized warfare than conquests.

Are marsh tiles impassible to combat units?
Problem i had with my playthrough were inconsistent tech research times, if I restarted the game it would sometimes decrease turns to research techs significantly (and I think this was the case with other precocious civs) and then changed back a few times.
Israel would be interesting but why not Venice or Sumer, Jerusalem's position makes it one of those cities always changing hands which gives it a unique place in RFC.
So far so good tho! Really impressive stuff

Tried a few more rounds to work on the map, I think this is a better version. I think the jungles have too much food though, and terraces might be OP also. Aztecs are really lagging though, and you can also be a jerk and camp your scout in their way so they can't found Huaxyacac. I made the Isthmus of Tehuantepec a little wider so that's less likely.

I think the movement issues were caused by playing with the map revealed, so I think it's a non-issue. There was one grassland tile in NZ that rendered as a mountain though.

Are you planning on timed map changes? I think it would be possible with the duplicated terrain I was talking about. It just won't render until it's reloaded, so I guess you'd want to always go impassable X -> passable X. I was thinking of opening the Inca south up like that, but the game I played with the latest map was well-paced enough that we could just open it up again.

Attachments

• Rhye's_Earth_134x74_v028.Civ5Map
    163.3 KB · Views: 106
Cool, let us know when it's ready. Cities I'm going for are Qusqu, Pachakamaq (or Ariqipaya), Chan Chan (Tukumi here, but the Sican were conquered by the Chimu by then), Kitu, "Tiwanaku", and something in Chile. Do you think it's worth adding Chan Chan as a city-state a turn or two before the Inca? There's not much for the Inca to do other than build. The late start + low tech also makes the early economy weird, your best strategy is to build workers and delete them for money.

Cool, let us know when it's ready. Cities I'm going for are Qusqu, Pachakamaq (or Ariqipaya), Chan Chan (Tukumi here, but the Sican were conquered by the Chimu by then), Kitu, "Tiwanaku", and something in Chile. Do you think it's worth adding Chan Chan as a city-state a turn or two before the Inca? There's not much for the Inca to do other than build. The late start + low tech also makes the early economy weird, your best strategy is to build workers and delete them for money.

Indeed the Inca are too isolated and boring. They need some twist.
I have to add a city state perhaps.

Eres peruano?

Nope, Cajun actually. I learned all this stuff partly for modding purposes, partly personal curiosity. I'm hoping to make a Mesoamerica and Andes mod for Imperator Rome, if I have enough time (and if the game doesn't crash and burn before I get to it).

Massive fan of both the Civ 3 and Civ 4 versions of the mod, never really got into civ V but wanting to try it again now I've seen this mod, very exciting.

That being said at the risk of looking like an idiot do you have any idea what I'm doing wrong? When I load the mod I end up in the map in a random location with none of the mod rules enabled. I bought the game from Steam and am using windows 10. I've tried installing it into both documents/My Games/Sid Meier's Civilization 5/MODS and documents/My Games/Sid Meier's Civilization 5/MODS with the map in steamapps/common/Sid Meier's Civilization V/assets/maps.

Top Bottom