Role Play Challenge, TNG: Julian Assange, WikiCivilization

You really need to build the internet ^^

Just for reference for you, young guys ( yes, you mad and you TMIT :D ), this does not even need espionage to work :devil: Mad , you are slacking :D

If you watch my videos, you'll notice that in either part one or very early part two, I point that out, so don't go saying that I'M slacking ;). It's one of the first things I considered when I read the rules (I am good at cheesing within rule constraints): "how easily can I get an AI to friendly?".

EP has its advantages though, and a Julian Assange RPC wouldn't be complete without at least using it.....

That is why I said "Mad" , not "Mad and TMIT" in the second sentence ;)

Talking seriously , you don't need to cheese out too much around this. You can simply burn your tech plafond near the moment EP starts churning out seriously ( that is when the :espionage: buildings get out ) and steal from there. It even allows you to minimize the negative issues regarding tech theft failure issues diplowise. You don't even need to get anyone to friendly if you do that :D

Not that having a Mansa nearby would not help a little :devil:

That is why I said "Mad" , not "Mad and TMIT" in the second sentence ;)

Talking seriously , you don't need to cheese out too much around this. You can simply burn your tech plafond near the moment EP starts churning out seriously ( that is when the :espionage: buildings get out ) and steal from there. It even allows you to minimize the negative issues regarding tech theft failure issues diplowise. You don't even need to get anyone to friendly if you do that :D

Not that having a Mansa nearby would not help a little :devil:

The thing is, combining the facts that this is emperor and it is easy to get EP multipliers early (spy GPP for bureaucracy scotland yard and especially religion/stationary/spending) makes it pretty easy to stay on top of the AI with just stealing. Years ago, I found this variant somewhat hard (as a rookie in chairman mao's plan), but now that I understand the mechanics it's painfully easy. As mad said: the issue here is that the AI runs out of technologies to steal! In my LP I found that routinely I'd just leave my slider 0/0/0 and STILL be able to simply steal what I needed; no need to commit actual commerce to the effort when I have everything anyway!

Of course, there are alternative uses for both money and espionage, so the real fun comes with how Mad and I differ (or wind up similar) in our choices on using such resources :goodjob:.

Julian Assange, WikiCivilization: Progress on the Backs of Others.

Julian had enough, he directed his Wiki Empire to terminate sending commerce to Science and direct it towards espionage. The high-brows were stunned and quite upset, they voiced their concerns and were subsequently sold into slavery to quicken expansion and troops buildup, afterall there was crazed leaders about.

After viewing the fate of the scientific community, espioaneg was taken quite seriously and diverted towards a second civilization

Suliman's Romans are a good target, good idea to see if any Prats are preparing to rome our way.
[/IMG]

Next, the offensively placed Barbarian city is captured

And razed.

Assange invites the Dutch Queen over for discussions. While Hatty is obviously uncomfortable with Assange's wandering eyes, she agrees to the following deal

and Hastily flees and Julian leers after her.

With Iron Working, Julian finds

There is a big issue about iron availability. Assange makes a mental note but orders his empire to build an army of spies rather than excessive military.

To replace the burned husk of a Barbarian city, WikiLand builds WikiThebes in honor of Julain assanges fantasy that HAtshepsut is actually so exotic Egyptian Pharoah-Goddess rather than the dull Dutch Wench.

Another Great Spy is born and another Scotland Yard is built.

Next, Julian builds another city, WikiParis, where he imagines himself and the Fantasy-Egyptian Pharoh Goddess meeting. Still, no spies are sent to Hatshepsut's lands (because Julian has yet to find them).

Soon the Degaullian Ottomans move near WikiCivilization

The military leaders demand the intruding Turks be expelled but Julian merely laughes and allows the Ottomans to stay within sight. He directs eps towards DeGaulle and actually begins to open borders to improve his espionage missions.

DeGaulle sees Assange's reluctance to bring an army as weakness and tries to exploit what he sees as cowardness

Julian gracefully gives the Ottomans their ivory.

Seeing Assange's attitiude, Montezuma makes his own arrogant demand

Again peace is gotten for 10 turns.

At this point, Julian Assange's spies begin doing their job, slowly at first

Followed by

And a magnificent trade

Julian announces himself KING of the Wikis

And there is now much rejoicing in the streets!

Now the Ottomans were flexing their muscles a bit and marching Prats arround with "Enough on Their Hands" . Vultures are stations in the south just incase a showdown between Vultures and Prats was coming. However, Julian was amused to see

Apparently the Fat Roman has his own Fantasies about the Dutch Dame.

Espionage that was directed towards DeGaulle starts to payoff

Followed by another demand from the Prat overlord.

JUlian could care less and recklessly allows his technology to be known to all now.

To bolster defense a bit

Unfortunately no one has researched HorsebackRiding this segment yet.

A third Great Spy was born, resulting in another Scotland Yard.

Lack of Great Scientist Pollution has greatly helped Assange focus his entire empire arround only Espioange!

The Fat Man from Rome came by again with yet another demand/Request

To which Assange agrees, isolating the Buddhist Persians and getting Crazy Monty to Annoyed.

Assange begins to expand further, this time offshore

And notices an unclaimed Iron resource. Time to get a settler there.

Espionage continues to work

At which time I decided to save a bit here

A look at the espionage for our cities

The cities themselves

And right now the espionage issue

EPs are directed towards DeGaulle but perhaps we need to direct them towards Hatty and actually find where she is. Monty and Suliman appear to be backwards trash that may be one Horsebackriding tech away from being overrun by War Elephants. Still early right now.

espionage

Pretty early and 132 eps/turn towards anybody we want.

A view of the World

So what does a Woman obsessed HAcker do here???

More expansion is one option, who cares if we go to 100% gold. Another is a massive military buildup and see if we can convince the world that Monty is nto worth existing and go claim some Persian land.

Or do we merely sit back and spy???

Ok, maybe a bit late to weigh in on the philosophical agenda, but isn't the idea of Wikileaks not simply to obtain info, but to USE that info to convince others that they are wrong???

I would love to see some more role playing in this RPC, not just another EP- backed war. How about some use of 'spread culture' mission to convince citizens to Wikipitulate? How about flipping Monty to dominant religion to get him to join the Wikilove festival? How about some well-meaning Wikispies opening the city gates at an inopportune time to influence foreign wars? How about spies launching a concerted assault via poisoned water + pillaged resources to Bring havok to your enemies?

Cant u send a naval unit to do some scouting around the continent, even a workboat could do the job if u dont have any better and with open borders it could get u far ........ until the first barb galley atleast. :p

The thing is, combining the facts that this is emperor and it is easy to get EP multipliers early (spy GPP for bureaucracy scotland yard and especially religion/stationary/spending) makes it pretty easy to stay on top of the AI with just stealing. Years ago, I found this variant somewhat hard (as a rookie in chairman mao's plan), but now that I understand the mechanics it's painfully easy. As mad said: the issue here is that the AI runs out of technologies to steal! In my LP I found that routinely I'd just leave my slider 0/0/0 and STILL be able to simply steal what I needed; no need to commit actual commerce to the effort when I have everything anyway!

Of course, there are alternative uses for both money and espionage, so the real fun comes with how Mad and I differ (or wind up similar) in our choices on using such resources :goodjob:.
Yup, in Emperor it is easy to get out of things to steal ... you can minimize that by being liberal about tech trades/ gifts , especially to force some of the Ai out of the beaten tracks they go most of the times ( forcing them to go towards some less AI tech paths ), but it can be a heavy issue for this kind of variant.

The fun thing is what happens when you lose some previous EP in a city to spread your culture. The modifiers get completely ridiculous :D

Maybe I can convince myself to play a just buy variant of this ... things changed a lot since vanilla.

I'd never run an espionage game before, but this thread inspired me to try. I'm running the same leader and variant rules, but I rolled a new map, and I'm only playing on Prince since can barely handle Monarch and I thought this would be harder.

In the past, espionage for me consisted of performing counterespionage every 10/15 turns and grumbling every time my capital's water was poisoned. Now I'm starting to see all the other things I can do with it. I'm thinking that if I didn't follow the variant strictly, it would be easy to steal techs when I fell a little behind (or when the AI followed a different tech path), but then crank the science slider back up and self-research a tech or two that I want, rather than waiting for an AI to get it. That might be a strategy to keep in mind next time I'm stuck between Mansa Musa and Shaka. :D

@Vaidd
Spoiler :
Checkout my finished SG game The Bull Reincarnate II which was a Monarch EE game using Sitting Bull which got us to Space! My jump from Prince > Monarch was really helped by playing on marathon for the first few games, seemed a lot easier. Then move to Epic, still can't do a Normal game for some reason:confused:

I will play the next segment early this week and post it soon after. Real Life happens, my daughter played Lady MAcBeth at the high school play this weekend. She was frighteningly too good, gotta watch my back now!

Congrats on your Daughter, seems she walks in your footsteps as artist ;)
But, I too would start looking over my shoulder, because, you never know when ..........:backstab:

Congrats on your Daughter, seems she walks in your footsteps as artist ;)
But, I too would start looking over my shoulder, because, you never know when ..........:backstab:

Or even worse she might force him into usurping the throne of Scotland!

Shadow: 1920AD UN Diplomation win, Emperor/Normal,No Events
Spoiler :

I more or less followed what TMIT did in his lp. I expanded pretty well and took a decent chunk of land thanks to blocking monty and getting the GW. I attacked monty and DeGaul with jumbo's/Trebs/Crossbows/Muskets. I then upgraded to rifles/cav/cannons and attacked Sully and his peace vassle hatty. Hatty broke free after i captured a few cities of sully. Sully was willing to cap, pretty early on in the war, but like in TMIT's videos, he built sistine and i did'nt want culture trouble.

I eventually kicked him off the cointent and got Degaul to tech towards Massmedia. I had to build troops to get hatty to cap and when she did it was game over.I rush bought the UN after stealing MM from Degaul. I stole a heck load of techs in this game, and it was a really interesting experience. I also got an increadible end game score, well over 220000, my highest ever!!. Here is a save if anyone is intrested. My first EE game turned out to be one of my best games!:D. Thanks for doing this RPC Mad, is was alot of fun to play!

Attachments

• Julian Assange AD-1920.CivBeyondSwordSave
    538.6 KB · Views: 57
Assange invites the Dutch Queen over for discussions. While Hatty is obviously uncomfortable with Assange's wandering eyes, she agrees to the following deal

Lol!! Love it :)

Julian Assange, WikiCivilization: Pondering Continental Unity

Julian sat on his throne, sorry King Julian, and looked over the world. His empire was lacking iron and there was a problematic leader nearby. His thoughts of the Dutch queen had to be put on hold, for she was needed even if she refused open borders with the Wikis.

The trumpets of war sounded again showing

DeGaulle and Montezuma began war. The Persian was grossly under-developed in technology, something Assange planned to exploit.

Meanwhile, the Wiki spies continued their work

Allowing an additional trade route which subsequently allowed more espionage points to be obtained. Julian smirked at his foolish neighbors who were wasting their time on science.

Espionage was directed towards the Persian Montezuma once again

Anticipating either their use in an upcoming war or to convertthe Persians to the uniform Judaism, not that King Julian really had any religious convictions.

Spywork resumed

Meahwhile, the Wiki-Army composed mostly of vultures and catapults prepared to dogpile Montezuma

The Dutch and Romans had already established peace, and Suliman attacked Montezuma also

With our declaration

The continent is almost united in a common cause.

Persian cities fell

Techs were stolen

War allies brought into the fray

And technologoes shared

Assange was happy, for a Utopian world was emerging once the vile Persian was eliminated.

Sure DeGaulle claimed hte last useful city, but really does land and civilization boundaries mean to Julian Assange. Nothing.

With a unified war-effort achieved, and not good land to claim, Julian offered Monty peace

While his spies did their work and more military is contructed (before DeGaulle or Suliman decide WikiCivilization is all smoke).

Espionage continued

An excellent technology for castles, both defensive abilities and dungeons for "espionage" and once again Julian's tainted mind drifts towards the fair Dutch Queen.

Espionage is still focused on the nearby DeGaulle

Although exploration of the Dutch lands (we now have open borders) could net us some nice techs (as well as getting closer to Hatshepsut).

We saved here

Looking at the cities

The last two cities became Wikified

Espionage

Techs

Perhaps ggetting the other leader pleased/friendly is possible with the religion and favorite civics eventually.

Techs

DeGaulle is closing in on Fuedalism which would open up needed Longbows although Monty disappointingly capitulates somewhere.

Because

There is still a Persian dogpile going on.

A Map shows

That the Wikis will soon have the needed iron, and perhaps another city can be placed in the north.

So there we have it. I say we work on some diplomacy here to see where that goes. Perhaps we may want to run an angineer to get a Great Engineer for a fast UN build if possible.

Attachments

• Julian Assange AD-0980.CivBeyondSwordSave
    263.6 KB · Views: 45
Top Bottom