RSG 02 (Deity) - The Randomness Continues

A log of events from the Gurramaria family's first 75 years on the Portuguese throne under Queen Gurramaria I. An eventful time in history that began in the midst of a war against the Hunnic Despotate and the Kingdom of Poland.

T100: Mathematics chosen as our next research project.

IBT: Our Archer outside Mte. Mariagurra is killed by Hunnic soldiers. May they rest in peace.

T101: Ponto Rosa trains a Spearman, and a Composite Bowman is chosen as their next project. The war rages on with Huns and Poles all over our lands. Brave defenders in Lisboa and Mte Mariagurra shoot down as many as they can.

IBT: Attila's Court is declared to be the holy city of a new religion: Tengriism. Travellers from far away lands tell stories of a magnificient mountain city named Machu Picchu.

T102: Nothing important happened. War goes on, two Polish units are killed off.

T103: Mte Mariagurra finishes their wall and continue on to building a Granary which was queued. The annoying Kingdom of Zurich decided to block our Spearman's way from Ponto Rosa which means they won't be able to reach the batlefield anytime soon.
Spoiler :
Portugal signs a peace treaty with Attila. His first demands were for the Queen to hand over Mte Mariagurra and Ponto Rosa to him which she had no interest in doing. Instead the Queen proposed a white peace with no extra offers from either side, a deal which Attila accepted, and one for which she has earned the nickname Queen Gurramaria the Fearsome for scaring the Huns away so easily.

The Kingdom of Poland transformed into the Buddhist State of Poland but despite being crowned His Holiness, Casimir III was unwilling to negotiate any peace deals.

Current situation around Mte Mariagurra, as the reign of the Gurramaria family continues under Queen Gurramaria the Fearsome's daughter Gurramaria Casimirisa Tolo, formally Queen Gurramaria II.
Spoiler :

(I will play the rest later tonight or possibly tomorrow.)

Attila, wow man, wtf. I'll take it though.

Excellent news that it is only a one opponent war. Now we just need ranged units in a big way.

I made a post yesterday that the forum gobbled up and I gave up in disgust at it. This time, though, Ctrl-C first. ;)

I just wanted to tell you that I'd read through both this read and the previous Carthagian one and was thoroughly entertained by your exploits (as in achievements, not loopholes :p).

Not being a player with the skill level required I only intend to lurk, but I just wanted to throw some appreciation your way. :D

Hilarious that Attila just ran away. I thought you guys were screwed when they decided to double-team you. Pleased to see things improving.

That Events mod looks interesting and I might need to try it out. And of course the Civ Names by Policies mod that Gurra's using is awesome.

Best of luck with the war! :)

The times were no less dire when Queen Gurramaria II took to the throne.

T103: In a move to get more money, I switched Ponto Rosa to build Cargo Ship since there seemed to be no danger in a Lisboa-Belgrade trade route.

IBT: Attila proposed to a trade with us. For 7 gold per turn we will send them truffles and let them establish an embassy in Lisboa. This means we are now up to +2 gold per turn.

T104: Yay, money!

IBT: Attila tells us that the Inca are plotting against us. How much can we really believe that?

T105: Casimir made a foolish move, landing an unprotected Settler right next to our Ponto Rosa spearman = free worker!

Lisboa finishes Composite Bow and I started a Spearman.

Mathematics researched and I thought Optics was a wise choice for a Lighthouse in Ponto Rosa (all the sea resources) and embarkation.

T106: The cult of Nossa Senhora becomes Ponto Rosa's majority religion. Belgrade gifts us a Horseman!

T107: Uh-oh, there is a Polish navy and Casimir is parking it right outside Ponto Rosa, who switch their construction project to a Composite Bowman. Some Polish units die outside Mte Mariagurra.

T108: The Polish triremes attack Ponto Rosa and does some real damage. I'm afraid we might lose this city and start evacuating Workers in the closest directions.

T109: Optics done and we move onto researching Currency as planned.

IBT: Ponto Rosa falls to the Polish Navy, a dark day indeed. We also lose the Belgrade Horseman on the battlefield.

T110: Spearman finished in Lisboa who starts on another Composite Bowman. Casimir still refuses to negotiate any peace deal. Queen Gurramaria II jumped out from the window of her palace tower in Lisboa and effectively ended her dynasty along with her own life.

We are in quite a bad situation if I may say so. Check the spoiler for overview, demographics and city screens.
Spoiler :

Attachments

• Maria I_0110 BC-0125.zip
    1 MB · Views: 168
Well now. Yikes.

Should I assume the leadership of our All-Mighty Empire next?

Gurra09 said:
We are in quite a bad situation if I may say so. Check the spoiler for overview, demographics and city screens.

Agreed. Bad situation. We should fight on, but I don't see an easy road out of here. Countering Poland looks unlikely. :mischief:

And Queen Maria Olodune takes the throne in Portugal's darkest hour.

The Inca are probably thinking that we are just a sucker with land just waiting to be taken.

I keep forgetting that melee ships can take a city.

We'll survive this war. We'll most likely keep Mariagurra, unless the fog hides monsters.

What happens when Attila fixes up his shoelaces though, well, we won't survive that.

At this point, I feel like it's an alright game to slug through for the kicks, but I wouldn't get any hopes up.

Loading the save gave me the feeling that we have a chance here: I want to push back Poland and somehow find a way to liberate Ponto Rosa.

We have a General that could be used to set up a forward defensive citadel ...

t111

Kill 2 warriors and damage a CB, no losses

t112

Kill Cat, 2CBs, warrior, no losses

Buy missionary to spread Nosa Senhora

Trade Marble <-> Incense with Atilla. Hey, every diplo+ counts here.

The Polish Navy sends us into unhappiness, but we have a solution in the decision log: Code of Laws.

I stole Drama and Poetry to get us close to the good stuff.

Feeling good here since the Polish army has been hit hard. What could go wrong now?

t113

Polish Knights incoming. Oh.
Kill Warrior, heavily damage a CB, no losses.

t114

Kill CB, damage knight. Our spear is vulnerable - lose it IBT to double Knight attack.
Spread religion to Mariagurra

t115

Kill sword, damage Knight

IBT: Knight kills a chariot from the Fog of War, more Knights appear.

t116

Kill a Knight, damage another.

IBT: Disaster: Fast Knights swarm our units while ignoring the cities. Archer, CB fall. Missionary captured.

t117

Dire straights. Knight killed.

t118

Knight killed. Knight damaged. Knights are now pushing into Lisbon as well.

IBT: Knights attack cities, leaving them vulnerable.

t119

3 Knights killed, 1 pike killed.

t120

CA killed, Knight damaged.

Currency is in, CS chosen. We get another tech steal next turn; Attila doesn't have CS.

Unfortunately it looks like Mnt. Mariagurra is going to fall to the Polish onslaught.

Perhaps there is a general out there to lead us out of the ashes. Maybe a Terrifying Bear will vanquish our foes.

And the save.

Feeling good here since the Polish army has been hit hard. What could go wrong now?
:lol::lol::lol:

A valiant effort!

Anything to add before I go for it?

Wanna see something funny??! I asked Attila: let's declare war on ... Pachacuti.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Plan
Tough it out.

120, Pre-flight
:smoke: Attila throws us a bone or something. Let's hope his war machine lives long and prospers - but not too long.

IBT: Take some hits, kill a knight defending Mariagurra

T 121:
Kill a sword and bring another down to 42HP. This might be enough for a capture next turn, but let's hope not.

Steal guilds from Attila. That spy is moving to Cusco. I guess I should have stolen CS for pikes but we had already started on CS and I fancied an outcome where we'd get them. Oops :mischief:

Mariagurra CB -> CB despite being 1 turn off from granary: we can't afford the population increase at the moment anyways.
Lisboa still starving, same reasoning, CA -> Horse.
IBT: Mariagurra captured by a swordsman whose remaining strength totals to a lovely 1HP.

T 122:
Archers are stuck around Mariagurra and ZoC/terrain will prevent us from a retreat. Take potshots at knights.

T 123:
To anyone still wondering: the hill forest gives no option for a retreat, just more mountains. #StrayArcherProblems

T 124:
Retreating

IBT: Belgrade donates a CB

T 125:
Unfortunately, it only enables us to bring the single injured pikeman to 4HP. The cavalry has been delayed but not for long.

IBT: Why thank you, I was really wondering whether Casimir had an army or not.

T 126:
Lisboa Horse -> Spear

T 127:
They're in deep.

Spear -> CB

T 128:
At this point, I'm just abusing the AI with a cross-river spearman bait.

T 129:
I guess it bought us a turn. So did the knight and sword who went around and across for an amphibious assault from the north side.

No peace in sight though.

T 130:
New policy!! Oh now, things are looking up :sarcasm:

Good sir Bugs, you'll have the honor of choosing our next social policy - and this might be the one time where the only single useful policy is the +50% city bombard one.

Notes:
Draw your own conclusions :borg:

Attachments

• RSG2_Maria I_0130 AD-0375.zip
    1 MB · Views: 179
Well this is nearing the down and dirty, eh?

Not much useful advice to be given here, I think :) I'm impressed with Casimir's resolve.

Oh boy! What great joy to take the game again. I'll play tonight. :sarcasm:

Turn 130 &#8211; 375 AD &#8211; Queen Marie Antoinette looked out her window and saw Polish troops in every quadrant. She turned on the stereo, popped in her copy of Stax 50th, hits random and Booker T and the MGs play &#8220;Time is Tight&#8221;.

&#8220;OK, what can we do to get our out of this mess&#8221; the queen said to herself. Perhaps a social policy with some kind of supernatural power? She sees that representation will provide a golden age. &#8220;Can&#8217;t hurt and just might help."

&#8220;How to get out of this mess?&#8221; The queen sent an emissary to King Casmir to see if he will agree to a peace treaty. Casmir&#8217;s response was a box containing the emissary&#8217;s head. :shake:

:hmm:

Not much to manage in our only city because the Polish troops are terrorizing the local population.

IBT &#8211; This fellow shows up at our door:

Queen Marie bats her eyes, shows some cleavage and asks, &#8220;Geogie, will you help me with my war with that evil Casmir?&#8221;

&#8220;Sorry ma&#8217;am. Can&#8217;t help you there.&#8221; So she swaps embassies. Here is where Washington is:

Our spear is attacked by two knights and is redlined.

Good to see that we're properly behind on tech with the other continent. I was starting to worry that we'd be too advanced and they'd pile up on us.

Turn 131 &#8211; 400 AD - Gaspar has stolen a technology and we take civil service. Upgrade our spear to a pike. This will probably be worthless, but it is worth a try.

Kill one of the knights.

Select chivalry (41 turns) as our next tech. Not much else to do.

IBT &#8211; Two knights die attacking Lisboa, one attacked amphibiously. The city loses 21 hp. Our pike goes down. :cringe:

Turn 132 &#8211; 425 AD &#8211; Lisboa: comp bow => comp bow

Bombard the comp bow at our gates. We might survive a bit longer.

Top Bottom