Sandman civilization - brainstorm

I did mention the hell terrain, by that I meant the civ's unique terrain. Also, what would the lizardmen do about collecting resources? You have to have improvements of one type or another, a rose by any other name after all...

I have no problem with people disagreeing. It is when people act in a way that would not be acceptable in person just because they are online. So, I guess your right about me needing thicker skin because I just can't accept when people are rude just because they are online and fear no repercussions.

Oh, I was not rude, no way. I was ironic, right, but is was just to tell you "DO IT". Next time I will skip a questionable sense of humor and tell you directly: do it. Don't try to be offended just because you want it, people are generally not rude and nice here, but it doesn't mean we can't tell you something you don't like.

I was a bit disappointed that you directly told us: "I will not do it anyway", I can quote but I don't want. I just really don't remember any viable mod which was proposed by one man and made by someone else. Even "Malakim+" which was originally started by me and got a hell load of development by Valkirionn had original ideas, art and XML already done by me. Just make something: draft, carcass, template, which works, and people will start to contribute. I can gladly create a handsome of models, I have no problems with random contrubuting.

And the main reason I started to joke on you is that I like the concept, I just see that it's not going to be done and it's a bit sad.

P.S. And I still don't like her cross-like tattoo :).

I just really don't remember any viable mod which was proposed by one man and made by someone else.

*cough* Fall Further *cough*

The concept behind the Archos (which was the first civ I completed, even if I didn't release until I had three done) was actually outlined by Slyvnn on the boards - in so much as they were a capital-centric barbarian civ, with flavour ties to spiders. I did somewhat butcher the idea and make it into something "not quite the same", but the principle was there at least.

That being said - I agree fully that it's a rare case...

I thought that that was your work originally :). Also there's a bunch of people working on it, and I don't really want to argue about it. If this turns out to be made, I'd be happy to see it and will try to contribute.

Move along lil dogies.

Oh, I was not rude, no way. I was ironic, right, but is was just to tell you "DO IT". Next time I will skip a questionable sense of humor and tell you directly: do it. Don't try to be offended just because you want it, people are generally not rude and nice here, but it doesn't mean we can't tell you something you don't like.

I was a bit disappointed that you directly told us: "I will not do it anyway", I can quote but I don't want. I just really don't remember any viable mod which was proposed by one man and made by someone else. Even "Malakim+" which was originally started by me and got a hell load of development by Valkirionn had original ideas, art and XML already done by me. Just make something: draft, carcass, template, which works, and people will start to contribute. I can gladly create a handsome of models, I have no problems with random contrubuting.

And the main reason I started to joke on you is that I like the concept, I just see that it's not going to be done and it's a bit sad.

P.S. And I still don't like her cross-like tattoo :).

Sorry, I must have taken it the wrong way. Which is strange becuase I'm pretty sarcastic. The number of posts I've made here is about all the online interaction I've done other than emails to people I know so I probably need to get used to the way people talk here.

I actually tried to complete the basic first steps of adding this civ to the game and I cropped out the leader's tatoo. Still, I'm not sure if her art style matches the gritty (I think that's the right word?) look of the art in this mod. I still like the idea of this civ offering temptatous even sinful things to other civs in order to get ahead. It would be nice to reflect that in their art style.

Does anyone have any feeback on my previous, rambling post? Most importantly, on the strange way of increasing their culteral borders. I think certain things could be added or taken away to keep it balanced if it is at all possible to do.

Also, I was thinking about overseas travel. If they are confined to their land, how could they travel to other continents or to places separated by mountains. As much as I wanted to keep their units as all part of one big "spirit" who is one with the desert they live in, I think that they may have to have some more traditional units as well. Maybe, the only way they could get these units is to capture them. They can only capture weak units like warriors, but they could be upgraded once captured into unique units for this empire. As the civ becomes more powerful, it could capture slightly more powerful units, eventually even champions, but never national units or heros.

There is another idea I had, which may be too much like the Illians. Their units are able to combine so if they become powerful enough, they could eventually be able to combine into a great powerful unit/hero. I will take a risk and talk about lore, knowing that I'll probably say something that would not work. The sand spirit could be a failed god that is trying to become powerful again. Maybe it won't be as powerful as Auric Ascended but have more specialized abilities. It would be dangerous, more inderrect, and more vulnerable. Instead of weak units being afraid to attack it, like the dragons for example, they will simply join it's cause.

I think that if your units are restricted to your borders then some sort of unit with a culture barrier around it would be useful. That would make an interesting divine line.

The first problem I could see would be cities. You wouldn't want to overrun a city with a zone of culture as that may be overpowered but instead onlt allow movement into your own borders and cities.

Another problem would be with war because if you can't leave your borders you can't fight. This would also be a good use for a culture barrier unit or unitline.

A note for modding a culture barrier unit: You will probably use the starbase code from Final Frontier for this unit. It is important to move the culture call to on turn begin if you wish for your units not to be in onturnend but at onturnbegin.

I think that if your units are restricted to your borders then some sort of unit with a culture barrier around it would be useful. That would make an interesting divine line.

The first problem I could see would be cities. You wouldn't want to overrun a city with a zone of culture as that may be overpowered but instead onlt allow movement into your own borders and cities.

Another problem would be with war because if you can't leave your borders you can't fight. This would also be a good use for a culture barrier unit or unitline.

A note for modding a culture barrier unit: You will probably use the starbase code from Final Frontier for this unit. It is important to move the culture call to on turn begin if you wish for your units not to be in onturnend but at onturnbegin.

That's a really good idea. Maybe some special limited units "the Arm of (fill in the name of the sand spirit's name)" could extend support to the other sand based units. It would still have to be hard for them to just grab land all over the place, so their ability to extend the desert would have to be limited somehow. Maybe only adjacent tiles could be added so their empire would have to be contiguous. They wouldn't be able to take enemy cities though...

Instead of simply being a warlike civ that wants to simply spread it's lands, they could offer temptations and indulgences to other civs that may benefit both civs. Perhaps, if resorces can be moved, they could trade them to civs for sacrificial units or something else. I'm trying to figure out what this civ may want besides spreading their desert.

Prehaps you could make them more culturaly dominated instead of millitarily. Something like, "We must spread our influence to the edges of the endless sands, and only then may we stop our dreary existance". Prehaps they were created from backwash at the time of creation (don't know what it is officially called...) and seek the final reward of eternal rest upon "fufilling their purpose" and covering the world in endless sands. Where they got the idea that their purpose is to spread the sands... I haven't figured that one yet.

Sounds interesting. They sound like a cross between the sand wraiths of Gaea and the Advent from Sins of a Solar Empire.

Prehaps you could make them more culturaly dominated instead of millitarily. Something like, "We must spread our influence to the edges of the endless sands, and only then may we stop our dreary existance". Prehaps they were created from backwash at the time of creation (don't know what it is officially called...) and seek the final reward of eternal rest upon "fufilling their purpose" and covering the world in endless sands. Where they got the idea that their purpose is to spread the sands... I haven't figured that one yet.

Yeah, I don't see them as a great military power. They should have a tough time projecting power outside of their desert but should be difficult to invade due to living in a very dangerous environment and if possible hidden city(s).

They can have a very important capital that if captured/destroyed they would be eliminated. Maybe they would even have just one city if it is possible to balance. The city should have a higher defense limit and be hidden, due to being beneath the sand. Maybe the city could even move around their territory due to the "sand spirit's" ability to control the sand. It would be nice if culture/borders was associated with their land and not the city itself. Not sure if any of this is possible.

Making moving cities is possible, I remember Xienwolf was talking about it in the Nomad Civ thread. Invisible cites would be a bit harder I think but I think it would still be possible.

You really should go with a cultural model for this civ, I agree that it should be hard to invade and hard to escape. Something cool would be quicksand to slow enemies and possibly be impassable to non-Sandciv units. You could probably also create a sandstorm feature like the Illian blizzards and code it to attack foreign units by following them around. It could possible also move around randomly when not in attack mode and spread desert.

Making moving cities is possible, I remember Xienwolf was talking about it in the Nomad Civ thread. Invisible cites would be a bit harder I think but I think it would still be possible.

You really should go with a cultural model for this civ, I agree that it should be hard to invade and hard to escape. Something cool would be quicksand to slow enemies and possibly be impassable to non-Sandciv units. You could probably also create a sandstorm feature like the Illian blizzards and code it to attack foreign units by following them around. It could possible also move around randomly when not in attack mode and spread desert.

Actually, make the sand storm their only way to attack outside of their borders... Allow them to shepherd it, so they can get where they want, but make it possible for it to turn on them?

The quicksand could also hold enemies for a certain amount of turns or until they get help, while damaging the unit each turn and maybe killing it eventually.

Hmm, using the Sandstorms as a way to get around would be an interesting idea. I can imagine the terror of having an enemy army invade amidst a sand storm. As they progress in the game they could gain better control of the sandstorms and the storms could destroy improvements, buildings, and the population of their enemies.

Top Bottom