SCENARIO: American Civil War - C3C only

Looking at the Union SP biq in the editor, I notice the domination limit for territory is only 39% - that's very low, since, at a guestimate, the Union already starts out with 30%. It's hard to imagine that ever being hit later than the 80% population limit. Is this intentional, or a relic of the vast empty western bits of the map in earlier versions?

The domination settings are the same as v4.5, before the map was trimmed. I didn't know what to change them to, so I left them as is. Depending on feedback, I can change them.

Misfit

I'm playing the Union

1861 - Week 29
In the West:
Captured Cape Giradeau, My divison in Springfield MO attacks
a cav and pushes it back redlined.
I march a large force next to Ironton.
In the East I move adajcent to Wichester with a force consisting
of several division, plus artilley and skirmishers.
Also move up to Grafton.
In the Gulf - Caught and sunk one ship.
We move an elite militia by transport down to Ft. Monroe.

Week 30 - CSA moves.
The damaged cav unit does an end run around my division and
attacks the Springfield MO home guard, but loses and dies.

In the east a CSA division moves up to Winchester and attacks
but one one of our divisions beats them and gets promoted.
CSA reinforcements are moved towards Grafton. A gunboat sails out
of Norfolk and sinks a Picket boat near Ft. Monroe.

USA-
We take Ironton killing an irreg. and a home guard.

The attack on Winchester is sucessful, two more division promoted.

Near Grafton we attack a Cav and push it back.

I forgot about gunboat near Ft. Monroe!

Week 31
CSA Moves
CSA gunboat sink one of my gunboats near Ft Monroe.

The situation around Grafton:

eric_A said:
I'm playing the Union

1861 - Week 29
In the West:
Captured Cape Giradeau, My divison in ...

Mmm!, you should be able to take Winchester in the week 29, you can move 4 volunteer division to do so and one battery. I advise to create and move some militia from the north to reinforce the weakest points near Washington. You can leave only one volunteer division in Washington, maybe you can reinforce 2 spots close to Washington, and wait to reinforce Ft. Monroe until November 1861.

For Grafton I advise to move 2 cavalry units nearby, plus your 2 volunteer brigades, one skirmisher and one battery, and these forces are enough to take down Grafton, use the skirmisher first to kill the CSA battery. Afterward reinforce Grafton quickly as the main forces of CSA will head to the East area, meaning Grafton and Winchester plus Washington. I advise to build some rifle divisions a.s.a.p.

In the West Cape Girardeu should be taken rapidly and you have to reinforce this city rather quickly with a division coming from St. Louis (a built one), you can move your volunteer division from Springfield to take Ironton, etc., but I have preferred to leave it there, due to is a week point in your west defense.

I think that a better plan is to close the pass to the north to CSA reinforcing the line on the river, and then bulk in evansville and go for Nashville - Chattanooga. Same time you have to go for Lynchburg in the East to collapse the axis Chattanooga - Lynchburg in both ends and go for Knoxville.

Interesting to know next progress.

Fasttrack v7 said:
eric_A said:
I'm playing the Union

1861 - Week 29
In the West:
Captured Cape Giradeau, My divison in ...

Mmm!, you should be able to take Winchester in the week 29, you can move 4 volunteer division to do so and one battery. I advise to create and move some militia from the north to reinforce the weakest points near Washington. You can leave only one volunteer division in Washington, maybe you can reinforce 2 spots close to Washington, and wait to reinforce Ft. Monroe until November 1861.

None of my units could move on week 28. I moved next to Winchester
on week 29 and attacked on week 30. I don't see it could be taken
any faster.

Playing the Union V4.7

Week 31 - USA
1st attack on Carthage.
We attack the gunboat near Norfolk with a picket boat and lose,
gunboat is damaged with only 2 HP left.

Week 32 - CSA
The skipper of the gunboat gets overconfident and instead of
returning to Norfolk for repairs, he heads for the Atlantic to
challenge the Blockade fleet! Needless to say he did not live long.

Week 32 - USA
Charleston WV and Rolla fall.

Week 33
We complete the Iron Works in Pittsburg and
take London.

Week 34
Nothing to report.

Week 35
New Madrid falls.

Week 36
We land a division at Key West
Pikeville falls.

Week 37
Grafton Falls

Week 38
Key West Falls

eric_A said:
I got my first leader and built a corp.

Should a corp with just 1 rifleman have 24 hit points and why can I
only load 1 unit into it?

I noticed that too playing the single-player version.

Hmm, that's a mistake. Only the AI should get Corps like that. The human side should get the regular 3 unit Corps.

I'll fix it tomorrow (Saturday).

Misfit

Playing 4.7 as the Union

Week 39:
Begin our second assault on Cartahage, our division had to go back to
Springfield to heal, and we brought in more units from Kansas.

In the east we begin moving a large force out of Winchester
towards Manassas.

Also we land a couple of divisions near Memphis, but it look well
defened so we decide to bypass it and march south along the west
Bank of the Mississippi.

Week 40
Clarksville and Carthage fall.
We land a force near Elizabeth City.

Week 41
Probing Attack on Manassas with 1 skirmisher shows it to be
heavily defended, so we march south towards Gordonsville.

In the west we Take Helena.

Week 42:
Gordonsville Falls.
Our first assault on Nashville ends in disaster losing a division
to a draftee. We destroyed a CSA division which was advancing east
of Bowling Green. It cost us 1 division and 1 regular brigade

Week 43
Regrouping

Week 44
We made or first attack on Richmond. We destroyed 4 units
including the big gun and only lost 1 division, so we were pleased.

Week 44
No attacks.

Week 46
We do our first division upgrade at Louisville.

Week 47
Nothing

Week 48
Attack Jefferson City with some elite Millitas and get a leader (Grant).
Advancing on Memphis from the north and south.
Another attck on Nashville is defeated, we lose another Division.

Week 49
Battle of Memphis begins.

Week 50
Memphis battle continues.

Week 51
Memphis battle continues.

Week 52
Memphis falls
We begin our second attack on Richmond.

Week 1
Richmond Falls, we capture corp producing wonder.
Our 24 HP corp (with 1 rifleman) reaches Nashville and kills
off that draftee..

At this point I'm thinking the south doesn't have much of
a chance, but I could be wrong. The F8 score is
39012 CSA
25285 USA

eric_A said:
Playing 4.7 as the Union

Week 39:
Begin our second assault on Cartahage, our division had to go back to
Springfield to heal, and we brought in more units from Kansas.

At this point I'm thinking the south doesn't have much of
a chance, but I could be wrong. The F8 score is
39012 CSA
25285 USA

Great performance :goodjob: , I agree that by now USA looks pretty good for victory, :D nevertheless don't feel too confident, as you must overpass CSA in points and I can assure you, that you will have to take much more victory point locations. :spear:

I advise to try an assault to New Orleans from the sea, and bulk near Alexandria to take it. The same in the West once you take Nashville go for Chattanooga, and from there to Atlanta and Knowville in both directions. ;)

Fasttrack v7 said:
Great performance :goodjob: , I agree that by now USA looks pretty good for victory, :D nevertheless don't feel too confident, as you must overpass CSA in points and I can assure you, that you will have to take much more victory point locations. :spear:

I advise to try an assault to New Orleans from the sea, and bulk near Alexandria to take it. The same in the West once you take Nashville go for Chattanooga, and from there to Atlanta and Knowville in both directions. ;)

I checked the .biq file in the editor and it looks like the corp producing
wonder in Richmond is going to build union corps. Since each corp
turns a single rifleman into a 20+ hit point unit, I don't see the CSA lasting
very long.

OK, this is a really cool scenario. I'm playing as the CSA, and it is going well so far. Two questions. First everything looks good except for the Science tree for the third era, what would be Industrial. It has lines everywhere, can this be fixed?

Second, how do I get the 3 brigade Corp? All that I have produced so far are 1 brigade Corp with 20+ hp's, which should be AI Corp correct?

Doomwalker said:
OK, this is a really cool scenario. I'm playing as the CSA, and it is going well so far. Two questions. First everything looks good except for the Science tree for the third era, what would be Industrial. It has lines everywhere, can this be fixed?

Second, how do I get the 3 brigade Corp? All that I have produced so far are 1 brigade Corp with 20+ hp's, which should be AI Corp correct?

Doomwalker:

That's a bug in this version. Its on my "too be fixed" list, but I haven't done it yet. I can't give a timeline for a fix yet because I'm juggling real world things this week. I'll get to it as soon as I can.

Misfit

Hi,
I am sure someone already brought this up, but I was curious to see what the development was on ACW and downloaded version 4.7. One thing that immediately struck me was that Reveal Entire Map was still not enabled. Why?

See post #1 for a description of what has changed between the various versions.

As for reveal map, you're right, its been debated at length and the decision was to leave the fog of war in place for the early game, but to reveal the map with the discovery of improved cartography tech.

To summarize the argument for revealing at game start, people stated that by the late 1800's the U.S. had been adequately mapped. The counter argument is that looking at a map, and then trying to actually find something while trailing a few thousand men behind you is quite another. (Think of those poor american service men who were captured in Iraq after having maps AND global position systems, yet still wound up in the wrong place at the wrong time). Not knowing the EXACT location of enemy cities adds something to the game experience, particularly in multiplayer.

I hope that helps explain things.

Misfit

Thanks for the update. I think, however, that if you look at the historic record, it was rare for columns to get lost, even in those times. There is a difference between a couple of trucks moving along dusty roads and a division marching with the usual scouts in place. My worry is, however, rather for the single player game. The AI has not even the slightest idea of what the map looks like and will act accordingly. While border cities still can be attacked, the strategy will be all wrong. For instance, the AI (just as the generals of old) often like to march on the capital - which obviously will not happen if its location is unknown. In short, the AI always is at a disadvantage, but now it is even less of a challenge. Besides, there is an option of removing the fog only in parts of the map. This would actually channel the AI activity into the historic areas - making the playing experience more rewarding.

Interesting thought. I'm willing to try it in a playtest, but my time is limited. I'll add it to my next round of playtesting criteria. Anything that improves the AI is worth exploring.

If anyone other there would like to give that a try and let us know if AI behaviour actually changes????

Misfit

Top Bottom