Scenario Properties

Jimmyh

Prince
Is any one able to explain how scenario properties work in civ3.

So in the Rules we have all of the Civilizations, then in the Scenario Properties we have a list of playable Civs and the number of players.

Then we have the Players tab, this seems to be the number of players from the scenario tab. Now for each player you can set if it's human, which civ it is etc.

But I've tried taking these into game and they don't seem to have any effect, if I set player 1 to be rome, it still lets me pick a civ in game. Same with not setting a player to be a human player, or can you not watch a game with all AI?

A little confused as to how this all works. Could any one explain a little?

I just tested it by ignoring the player 1 since I would be that one. I set Rome to be player 2 and Egypt to be player 3. In my set up screen I set the civs to random (actually they came up random on their own.) In my game Rome and Egypt were players 1 and 2 respectively.

Maybe, just guessing here, the human/computer-AI flag is for the starting bonuses. Lastly, you could presumably watch a game of AI controlled civs by just never building your first city and ending your turn each turn.

"Human player" determines if the certain civ is supposed to be playable, for example in MP games. If you want to watch the AI play with itself, just start a map in Debug mode, build your 1st city on some remote spot, put some defenders in (Shift+F1), choose "Wealth" in the production menu, put something heavy on your Enter key and let the games begin. I do this all the time for testing, just setting up a game and leave it to play for a couple of hours, occasionally checking the results.

If you press F1 it will bring up the Editor Help. Type in Player Properties Dialogue. That will allow you to display this screen.

By placing your cursor over any part of the page (or any page in Help) and left-clicking, a small dialogue box pops up telling you what that section is for. Like this.

This should answer most of your questions. But I'll open a small 20K game I put together, and explain how IT works. Maybe that will help you with yours.

On the scenario page, I chose 8 players and allowed all tribes to be involved in the game. Everything else on the page you can leave as is. On the Players page, I as player1, wanted to play as the Incas. So the screen looks like this.

I wanted the game and all the player to play at Monarch level (not sure why this option exists, but it works), so I selected Monarch for all players. I checked Human Player and Civilization Defaults (if Civ Defaults is unchecked, you can manually select which techs the tribe starts with). I wanted to play 7 random AIs, so I would change the Player number for each opponent.

All I changed for the first AI player was deselect the Human Player and change civilization to Any. Same with all the other AIs. This way you can select the tribes in the start up screen or make them random. You can also choose which tribes will play in the other players. You can even have the game play as all AI, by deselecting the Human Player option. By deselecting the "Wait at the End of Each Turn" option in the preferences of the game, it will play by itself. But you may not be able to stop it at any point. Ares idea would be better for that.

It sounds to me like you're not clicking on the File menu and saving your changes. Might want to do that a lot.

Attachments

• Editor Players Tab.gif
    Editor Players Tab.gif
    50.6 KB · Views: 161
  • Players Prop 2.gif
    Players Prop 2.gif
    40.1 KB · Views: 164
  • Players page1.gif
    Players page1.gif
    21.1 KB · Views: 161
  • Players page2.gif
    Players page2.gif
    21 KB · Views: 152
I think the implication is that the description in the Help is often wrong.

There should be a sticky with the expression 'FUBAR' in it with a better Help than the built in one.

Top Bottom