Science and Technology Quiz 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
@ParadigmShifter
You can turn cards over.

@Ainwood
Nope, for the reasons ParadigmShifter pointed out.

I'd say it's a logic puzzle rather than a magic trick. The correct answer can be proved using a short bit of maths.

@Mise
Sorry, I don't understand what you mean.. 32 cards total in what?

Clue: The solution does lie in selecting a number of piles with set numbers of cards and then flipping certain piles

Ahh, you deal 16 cards into one pile and flip that pile over. This pile contains x face up cards before flipping over, and 16-x after flipping it over. The remaining pile also has 16-x cards in it, because you've removed x face up cards from it.

I'll go for it, seeing as my last entry wasn't quite "science & tech" as asked...

Sometime after WWII a Cambridge Geology professor had the US secret service turn up uninvited at his door, they wanted to interview him for publishing highly classified information in the letters section of a national newspaper.

What was the information the academic published?
And how had he come across it?

mega bonus points if anyone gives the professor's name - cos I can't remember it.

Was it about the Normandy landing peat bogs?
Nope, what was the secret about peat bogs?

It wasn't anything about a big explosion in New Mexico that he'd detected with his seismograph, by any chance?
:lol: would've been a good one, and seismographs can detect the difference between a nuke and an earthquake (hence why the WWSSN/WorldWide Standardised Seismograph Network got so much US funding in the 60s) but until the 60s there wasn't a good enough network to spot such things.

I'll go for it, seeing as my last entry wasn't quite "science & tech" as asked...

Near the end of WWII a Cambridge Geology professor had the US secret service turn up uninvited at his door, they wanted to interview him for publishing highly classified information in the letters section of a national newspaper.

What was the information the academic published?
And how had he come across it?

mega bonus points if anyone gives the professor's name - cos I can't remember it.

He had managed to make a number of crosswords with the names of various codewords in it; Omaha, Neptune, Overlord, and the like.

It was completely by accident and unintentional.

I'm sitting this one out, I don't know and if i knew I couldn't say it :(

Nope, what was the secret about peat bogs?

The allies made secret maps of them before landing (by sending a couple swimmers in six months ahead) to ensure they didn't drive vehicles into them. It was the only vaguely geology related WW2 factoid I could think of.

Clue: A picture paints a thousand words... Or maybe something else if you know how to look at it.

Bleh, obviously I'm thinking of another proefessor who had the SS turn up on his door, but he'd managed, by chance, to give away all the codenames, even though he wasn't aware of them.

Right, was it something to do with postcards? I know that the Intelligence Services collected as many holiday postcards from Normandy as possible, as they were the best photos of the coast and sands they could muster.

Nope, not postcards.

Spoiler :
The relevant bit of geology academia is more closely related to diapirs than anything else

I'll give this another 10-12 hours, if no more suggestions are forthcoming then I'll spill the wonderful story of the british academic and the US secret service and stop holding up the thread.

More Clue:
The US military had released photos (to news agencies) which were used in a story. The academic saw the photo & a few days later responded in the letters page "It may interest readers to know that..."

However, more interested than the readers were the US intelligence agency staff. Who rather wanted to understand how a civilian had come to know such a thing and why he was telling everyone about it.

"It may interest readers to know... ...that you can construct super-secret bases in hollowed out diapirs"?

"...a great deal of deuterium, used by the US and British in the secret construction of atomic bombs, can be found in the diapirs of East Anglia..."?

Nice tries but...

Nope (Mise is slightly warmer), btw it was a theoretical understanding of how diapirs form that was relevant - not the physical objects themselves. The academic might be best thought of as a theoretical physicist who applied himself to the earth sciences.

EDIT: 1000th [party]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom