Scouts

Felix953

Chieftain
Hey buddies, I hope I am not the only person in this world playing civilization v brave new world thinking that producing scouts is wasting time. In huge maps, yes, they can be an useful instrument, but in smaller maps I don't see a substantial reason that dictates its use as mandatory in all senses. They aren't so essential as many people say. For example, in higher difficulty levels the construction of the great library is almost a requisite, it gives a huge science boost which allows you to be more close technologically in comparison with other civs, it is crucial, and sometimes producing a scout stands the same as missing the great library.

Hey buddies, I hope I am not the only person in this world playing civilization v brave new world thinking that producing scouts is wasting time. In huge maps, yes, they can be an useful instrument, but in smaller maps I don't see a substantial reason that dictates its use as mandatory in all senses. They aren't so essential as many people say. For example, in higher difficulty levels the construction of the great library is almost a requisite, it gives a huge science boost which allows you to be more close technologically in comparison with other civs, it is crucial, and sometimes producing a scout stands the same as missing the great library.

As long as you can explore the map quickly without scouts, I don't think they serve much purpose. I just don't understand how you do that (unless you're on a small island).

The way I see it, scouts don't directly compete against GL, they compete against worker, settler, arhers, monument, granary and shrine. If you go for GL, you should start building once you find writing anyway -scout or no scout.

A population, faith or culture boost can have a significant impact on your ability to complete the great library.

GL on Diety? Hah! Even if you somehow get it, you just gimped your infrastructure while building it too early.

Also, if going Trad, what would you build on the start of the game instead? Worker while you don't have any tech?

For example, in higher difficulty levels the construction of the great library is almost a requisite,

This is too funny.

So as not to be too mean: not sure what you consider higher difficulty but it's not even possible to get the Great Library on 7-8. It will be gone before you even finish Writing most of the time.

No, everything you say is wrong. Tommynt says build scouts. He is the best player on Earth, that should be enough to convince you. But the logic is: ruins, city state quests, trading partners to keep your capital in wltkd, and meeting people makes techs cheaper the more people you know who have it already.

Building the great library on high difficulty is usually not possible, and takes more turns to build beyond the normal library than it shaves off your win time. And if you miss it, the failgold isnt even enough to buy a library. The great library is schmuck bait.

Scouts get goody huts. Goody huts can give you +30 culture, which you absolutely do need early on to get your social policies kickstarted - indirectly that can help you get that Great Library out a fair bit quicker. Also Faith, though that's a lot less common.

One of the problems I find on Immortal and (I assume) above, is that the AI starts with a scout and a couple of warriors, so the number of goody huts you pop is greatly diminished. They're still pretty essential for exploring the map though, warriors just aren't that efficient.

Also, The Great Library is good but it's not that great, as many people here will no doubt tell you.

An early scout more than pays itself back in terms of the goodies you get from ruins and the 30 gold you get for meeting a city-state first. It also allows you to see the situation (geographical features/neighbours) you are in more quickly and strategise accordingly.

I wouldn't say it is mandatory, because you can certainly still win without one, but it certainly makes your life easier than the other options. As others have pointed out, at that early stage in the game you don't have that many useful things to build.

This is too funny.

So as not to be too mean: not sure what you consider higher difficulty but it's not even possible to get the Great Library on 7-8. It will be gone before you even finish Writing most of the time.

That's not true, I get it fairly regularly on Immortal, but it does require good timing and a bit of luck. Marble nearby, a hill start, +:c5citizen: goody huts and neighbours who are a bit less wonder-oriented all help. Usually I don't bother with it unless I'm playing a civ like the Maya who really need to beeline a specific tech ASAP.

One of the lesser-known uses for scouts is if you're playing against Assyria or the Huns, scouts work as great defenders when of the aforementioned civs rushes you with 3 of their Siege Towers / Battering rams respectively.

That's not true, I get it fairly regularly on Immortal, but it does require good timing and a bit of luck. Marble nearby, a hill start, +:c5citizen: goody huts and neighbours who are a bit less wonder-oriented all help. Usually I don't bother with it unless I'm playing a civ like the Maya who really need to beeline a specific tech ASAP.

With respect to the guys slamming GL, I agree. The mean turn it disappears (on quick Immortal) is 27. That's doable, and the fact that it jumps you to the NC is a big bonus.

This is too funny.

Try to do the monument first and then go for the granary and combine to be finished by the time you research writing. Then it is possible to build the great library, you can addopt aristocracy if you want to increase the production.

I don't care what you think, I won many games on deity with complete kills and raging barbarians to get the game more difficult, and I only lost one, so with your strategies it's not a suprise that you lose more games than the ones you win. Only one word to describe you: NOOBS.

No, everything you say is wrong. Tommynt says build scouts. He is the best player on Earth, that should be enough to convince you. But the logic is: ruins, city state quests, trading partners to keep your capital in wltkd, and meeting people makes techs cheaper the more people you know who have it already.

Building the great library on high difficulty is usually not possible, and takes more turns to build beyond the normal library than it shaves off your win time. And if you miss it, the failgold isnt even enough to buy a library. The great library is schmuck bait.

I don't care about Tommynt, I am best than Tommynt, unless you are playing in giant maps there's simply no need to build scouts. If a player, "the best player on Earth", says to build scouts the logic is: he isn't the best player on earth at all, the best player on Earth mustn't say so stupid thing. The great library in high difficulty is POSSIBLE, try to do the monument, then granary or worker till you get writing, then with aristocracy and production focus start producing the great library.

I don't care what you think, I won many games on deity with complete kills and raging barbarians to get the game more difficult, and I only lost one, so with your strategies it's not a suprise that you lose more games than the ones you win. Only one word to describe you: NOOBS.

If that's really the case and you can reliably get the GL on Deity (instead of 1 in 5 times, maybe) then by all means upload the videos of you doing so on youtube, or even just take some screenshots in a good range of different games where you so reliably can get the GL (with proof of the difficulty). If you can prove this to us then you win like 1,000,000 internet points. It's definitely possible, at least on Immortal, but not reliably and it's usually not worth the early sacrifice to get there.

With respect to the guys slamming GL, I agree. The mean turn it disappears (on quick Immortal) is 27. That's doable, and the fact that it jumps you to the NC is a big bonus.

You seem to be the only who knows how to play, and yes, you should use the free technology researching philosophy and then, unless you wanna try to pick up another world wonder, build the NC so quickly as possible. After this your priority should be civil service then education, technology is the key to survive in higher difficulty.

Are you restarting if you don't get GL? it seems to me that if you take this start without scout, and don't get GL (as pointed out, not sure why scout is slowing you from GL anyway, it just prevents the monument right?) - then what? without the scout you are missing a lot of gold aren't you?

lol I hope this is a joke thread. no scouts, because you must build GL on high levels? Gotta be kidding me.

Are you restarting if you don't get GL? it seems to me that if you take this start without scout, and don't get GL (as pointed out, not sure why scout is slowing you from GL anyway, it just prevents the monument right?) - then what? without the scout you are missing a lot of gold aren't you?

This. Sure, you can get the GL if you keep on restarting until you do, but on standard speed it usually goes at around turn 30, and that's just on immortal. When it takes about 26 turns to even finish writing, yeah, you're not going to get it reliably. As I said earlier, I've managed to get it a few times, when I've got lucky and the AI have for some reason ignored it, but the offchance of getting the GL is not a good excuse for no scout.

Top Bottom