Sea Dog

Sea dogs can capture enemy ships instead of destroy them,
1. Can't be a barbarian or city state
2. Your sea dog has to be adjacent when it defeats the enemy ship not two tiles away (it's range).
I also use to think Sea dogs weren't that useful since I never captured an enemy ship until I realized those two rules.

2. Your sea dog has to be adjacent when it defeats the enemy ship not two tiles away (it's range).
I also use to think Sea dogs weren't that useful since I never captured an enemy ship until I realized those two rules.
Thanks so much. Great info. Will make this next English venture very interesting.

In practice though I've found the Seadog a little ineffective.
In comparison to Civ V where all Privateers had a 50% chance to capture ships.

Perhaps Firaxis thought that was too OP? IDK
But from the wiki: https://civilization.fandom.com/wiki/Sea_Dog_(Civ6)

The chance to capture a vessel ranges from 67% to 17%.

IMO The Ottoman Corsairs are far more useful. Cos unlike Civ V, they can perform a naval raid.
And pillaging in Civ VI is OP as hell 😉

Well crap, I just finished an England game but now I wanna try them out lol

Why isn't that in the description? 🤦

Why isn't that in the description? 🤦
I don't know early on I was frustrated playing england because I would sink ship after ship and never capture one. So I did an internet search and found (either Steam or Reddit don't remember), someone with a similar question and read the answer, and sure enough being adjacent to the ship when you sink it worked, guess it's the equivalent of a boarding party instead of just sinking it.

In practice though I've found the Seadog a little ineffective
I disagree, as England you get so many damn admirals that you can get an amada of seadogs easily and quickly.
Then you can eat battleships for breakfast.
The main issue is that once you clear the waters there is never a threat again so you are sailing around with a zillion ships costing you a zillion gold with nothing to do.
So basically they are effective but the strategy is fun for a very short time.
As England I tend to be agressive on land a little but concentrate on getting to redcoats early, especially if you can also get corps up and running.
The sea side of England is about getting those era points off admirals and using your harbours well. Sea dogs are Englands less useful ability (but effective when there is a need)

The sea side of England is about getting those era points off admirals and using your harbours well. Sea dogs are Englands less useful ability (but effective when there is a need)
I love playing TSL maps, so England really has to go naval.

Another problem is in Civ VI the AI barely builds much of a navy, apart from maybe Norway, so the Sea Dog isn't much use.

Play Civ V if you like to capture navies 😀

BTW did you know "Sea Dog" used to be the old name for shark?

Top Bottom