SGOTM 08 - The Real Ms. Beyond

Time only for some quick thoughts:

On war front - well, hard to say without more info. Like others, I imagine Ulundi will be too fortified to capture, so pillage copper and choke most likely.

It will take some turns for the galley to get into position, and capital is going to lose a whip :mad: soon, so suggest starting next build now (GLighthouse?) and switching back to settler when we reach size 6.

Indeed, I think we are still straightforward.

Seems like the amount of axes I propsed for a rush was enough for a choke.

Anyway, just for clarification, we plan to build that city exactly ON the marble, no? So it gets both fishes and could work the one on the capital. Hopefully more exploration of our galley will make it clearer where and if we can expand further overseas.

I was away for the WE, so couldn't comment/check.

ON the copper seems better for me as it will gets a potential THREE fish (ok, we might need 2 of them for capital and a possible city in the southern island temporary). Also will have 2 forrests from the capital (plus I suggest workshop the plain in the island), so could have some production to build the basics IF we want it to be our GPP farm. On top of that it won't need any worker turn for a while (and we could start any marble-based Wonder faster).

So who can play next? (And when?) - @ gOng_civ', Kodii - did you get Vista to work?

I think our goals are - Settler to marble to help wonder building....Oh and there is a small matter of a war with a psychopath to our West.

I would use pig city to build military to support the war effort and concentrate the capital on builder/ wonder activities. Iron will be revealed soon so if we have it then build swords, if not then build axe's and 1 more settler to get iron once visible/connectable to us.

We will start to need more commerce soon to fund further expansion so after the workers finish the mines round pig city I would get them building cottages.

Also - We could probably do with some Cats to take out Zimbabwe so in my normal game I would now tech to monothesism (for research boost to help against Monarch level AI's... then writing (for libraries).....to construction....And then because this is BTS and a wonder game....I would choose the Great Library route....What do you guys normally do? (Just trying to get some more mid-term strategy discussion going here.)

- Does anyone know how long the choke can hold out for? (Bearing in mind that those guys are a long way from home and re-enforcements are non-existant at the moment?)

The galley should scout after dropping the settler off. (Bit obvious)..And possibly taxi (ferry) troops if needed.

Also...As we have no religion our happiness will limit us for a while...So more use of the whip to max our production and prevent any wasted faces.

The GL route doesn´t sound like a bad idea, given that we have marble. I also support that Construction should get a bit of priority to get rid of Shaka sooner then later.

I rather keep the galley as a taxi, so a cheap workboat might be an idea for a scout as well.

I can play next, but I guess someone else wants to drop in.

The choke should last forever without trouble except IF he has copper/iron under the city and we can't hide in woods next to it.

But if his capital is nice, we definitively want to have it sooner than later :)

Sorry, I had been focusing any of my limited CIV time finishing up the SGs I was still in. Now that they are over, I can now put that time into this game. I will try to catch up ASAP.

@ Archduke.

I'm happy if you want to play 4-5 turns to reveal more of Shaka's land until Kodii or GOng_civ' have got back up to date.

Also....I've been trying to post a screenshot of where I left things.....But...Everytime I try I get told my file size is too large??? I'm obviously doing something wrong.

Can someone give me an idiots guide to posting screenshots please?

And for info to the team....I'm going on vacation for a week so wont be able to continue play until November. (Good luck)

As once again, things have been quiet lately, as we didn´t have any new discussion topics, I made some turns till we pillaged our copper and paused before we must decide on a new city.

http://gotm.civfanatics.net/saves/civ4sgotm8/The_Real_Ms_Beyond_SG008_BC1240_01.CivBeyondSwordSave

1440 BC

Hit end turn

1400 BC

The zulu capital is uncovered. 2 axeman and 1 impi make it impossible to conquer, thus we will plunder the iron and start the chocke. Galley

is finished.

1360 BC

Well, the zulu capital has copper and 3! seafood. Quite a killer capital. Settler finished.

1320 BC

Shaka builds another axe.

1280 BC

1240 BC

We loose two axes, whilst Shaka looses one impi and one axe when I try to pillage the rice.:( The copper is pillaged.

Right now we must decide if we want to go for the GLH for real. Looks good there, especially if we double chop. I finished a workboat for exploration and I am building a 3rd axe just to be safe.

We should build our city on the marble but that is up to the next player to decide.

Sorry that my gamble for pillaging the rice didn´t pay off. Shaka used an impi to soften up my axe for his axe.:(

Attachments

• Zulucap.jpg
    Zulucap.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 101
  • GLH, settler.jpg
    GLH, settler.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 128
I would vote to still go for GLH, with chop and also overwhipping axes into it if possible (we really need at least to send some axes to check Shaka).

The good point is that Shaka might start a settler soon since we don't have any military around and we should try to catch it in the open with our new axes

Sorry, I was mistaken. I am able to open the save to look around, but due to Vista, I am unable to play a turnset that would be able to be submitted for the SGOTM. Therefore, I will only be able to comment on the current game rather than play, unless I find a way to get around this, which I don't seem to have much time to do.

In other news, my normal CIV seems to be broken.

Also vote for GLH. Would mine the hills over chopping grassland forests (leave one worker on hill where he is, and move the other to mine the plains hill). Since we can work those in the meantime and it will take >7 turns to finish, mine instead of chop-then-mine. Also, since the city has turns of whip :mad: left, we can swap the fish to a grass hill forest hill for more hammers (also opening the fish for the city we're about to found). I don't think overwhipping axes will help much; we'd have to ignore our good tiles for a turn to 2-pop whip an axe, and 1-pop whipping isn't efficient.

Would move the axes SE into the forest next turn for more defense bonus. As long as we stay near the city the worker will be paralyzed so no need to stay on the copper hill.

Agree with settling on the marble, as marked on map. First whip should be a granary; Hariharilaya could build a WB for new city instead of axe.

Techs:
With marble hooked up, we will be able to score a really quick Oracle after GLH, if it's still open. Should we research towards that after Writing (or maybe even now?)

I think we already have a WB, I suggest it explore around the other island before netting some seafood (or do we want it to explore much more - I think our galley should be the exploring unit for a little while).

Agree on trying to get quickly to the Oracle tech, just in case.

Top Bottom