SGOTM 12 - ChokoMisfits

Does someone want to take the last save from AlanH's post and try to play on to a point where we fulfill all victory criteria as per the rules??

The problem (from a rules standpoint) with Roosevelt's tactical nuke is that we DoW'd him (not the other way around), so I don't think we could use the defence of an "AI event outside of our control" in this instance... we would need to clean up all the new fallout to meet the victory criteria!!

Ouch......

PS - once again, my greetings to anyone from the completed teams, who is reading our thread.

PPS - I saw Blubmuz's post on the maintenance thread (the one which was subsequently removed by the mods)...

...All I can say is that all of the ChokoMisfits also play fairly by the rules, as defined in the original game posting, and subsequently clarified in the addendum posted by AlanH in post 172 of the Rules Discussion thread. And whilst I for one was surprised by the content of this post 172, I didn't protest about it, I respected the decision and communicated it to the rest of the ChokoMisfits, and the team continued to play fairly according to the most recent edition of the rules......

The only events that are required to be simultaneous in the victory conditions are a space victory, and peace with all civs other than Stalin. The other events can occur before, during or after this point in time. You are therefore free to complete fallout clearance - or the defeat of Stalin - after you achieve a space victory. You would need to use the "play a few more turns" option to achieve this, of course.

Well looking at the scores in the progress page were well in front with 66000+. Actually the score when the ship landed but not bad for 1905 space victory.

Apologise again for missing the have to be at peace when the ship lands. Must admit though it wouldn't go down as my best SGOTM turnset ever either. Probably my worse by a long way!!

Well, I played on... just to see how early we could have completed all conditions. 1933AD apparently (although I massively underestimated the strength of Gandhi's navy, and lost many many units due to being sunk by his ships while in transportation).

I'm assuming we are disqualified from the overall game for being at war when our spaceship landed, but I'll still PM AlanH with the 1933AD save, as well as attaching it below.

Best to wait for AlanH's confirmation before viewing any other threads... although as we are most likely DQ'd anyway, I doubt this will make any difference !!!!!!

Attachments

• Catherine AD-1933.CivBeyondSwordSave
    442.8 KB · Views: 39
Thanks for playing things out, ianw1610! :thumbsup: It does help provide some completeness and closure for our game.

Sleepless, none of us had recognized that aspect of the rules clarification. So no need to blame yourself for anything which happened. We needed turns played and you were available and made your best effort. That is all any of us can hope for.

Ouch on the unit losses...fighting AIs in the modern era can be very unpleasant. :( Especially when we were not really focused and prepared for that, and were just trying to clear up some fallout. Idiot AIs.... :( If only they had been sensible this would not have been necessary.

DQ or not, I have enjoyed playing this game with all of you. Between vacations and my computer problems I was not able to contribute much to the later phases of the game. :( I will try to do better in future.

Considering the massively radioactive world we started in, SS victory in 1905 AD is pretty good. :) I am curious to see how the other teams did. Not long to wait now.

Well done on finishing ianw1610 :goodjob:.

Had to guess a lot of Ghandi's troops were ships which was why I planned on hitting Delhi so we would have a base on his lands and could ferry troops between the Attack base and Delhi without any danger. Guess he had more troops there and did Roo fire of anymore nukes. I guess not.

So very quick look at the last save. Built 168 workers. Doubt I'll ever build that many workers in one game again. :)

AlanH got back to me... apparently we are the last to finish, so we are free to browse and post as we like!!

It will likely be recorded in the annals of history as a "defeat", rather than a "disqualification", if it makes us feel any better!! I totally forgot about that particular rule as well. 2 defeats in 4 SGOTMs for me now!!!!!!

I didn't micromanage at all in that last turnset, I just played for speed of finish time... I'm sure we could have finished 8 or 10 years earlier, given proper thinking time on the last turnset. The Earth moved again, by the way (from Churchill nuking our lands on his way to capturing CornTwinGems)............

Yep I just looked again. At least the SDI shot down one of Ghandi's nukes. So at least it was good for something though not the one we wanted!! Stupid Roo didn't he know we just wanted to clear his lands. Would even have given his cities back if he wanted.

Apologise again for missing the have to be at peace when the ship lands. Must admit though it wouldn't go down as my best SGOTM turnset ever either. Probably my worse by a long way!!

Roosevelt was the most formidable AI in this game; I'm glad I didn't have to deal with him and his Tactical Nukes. Sleepless, I just looked at your save and it seems that you were doing a fine job against Roosevelt. Roosevelt got desperate and used a Tactical Nuke; it could have happened to any of us; splitting forces up is good so as not to be too vulnerable to nukes.

I also forgot that we needed Peace with all AIs (except Stalin) when space ship arrived. haphazard1 and ianw1610 also mentioned that they missed that fine point too. So, Sleepless, no problem or worries on missing it.

I actually feel better that we may be disqualified by a minor rules omission than failing any substantial requirement.

Although we probably won't do well in the standing, it was a fun SGOTM! I extremely pleased to have shared in this game with all members of Team ChokoMisfits.

Sun Tzu Wu

Goodjob on doing those last turns Sleepless.

I also forgot the peace with all as spaceship arrived. Was not that focused on the win conditions this SG, as they seemed simple, compared to other SG. But I guess we all missed that fine point.

I had a lot of fun with this SG, and I'm looking forward to the next one.

Regarding Civ V, did you read Sullla's website with what went wrong with Civ V?
whatwentwrong

I read it after having played a couple of games, and I think that most of it is correct.
I think the concepts of one unit pr tile is good, and also that roads cost money, are quite interesting. But I agree that the game built around this is not yet complete, it looks to me like it was rushed, so it could get out before christmas, and I've never seen anything good come from that.
I will try more games soon, but I think we'll continue playing SG in Civ IV for a while still.

Results are in - One Short Straw edged out Plastic Ducks by 1 turn, to take the Gold Medal !!

There was only one other team with a finish date after 1933AD, but of course we were listed as "Incomplete" due to not fulfilling the peace criteria.

Had we made a legitimate submission, we would have won the wooden spoon, as that is allocated on lowest score, and not on latest finish date.

I haven't yet looked at the other threads, but I'm assuming everyone else pretty-much went for a domination-type game, to get all fallout in their own lands, and cleared it up from there...

Yay no wooden spoon for us. Think I'd prefer that at least I would say we were the only team that got nuked though. Surprised Roo didn't drop anymore on you ianw1610.

Due to the fact of the fallout I'm sure from the few quick looks I've taken all teams basically conquered the world leaving the AI with a few cities a la De Gaulle in our game. Noticed OSS stole a few techs so as Sun Tzu Wu mentioned that would have been something to improve on. I don't find there is much to steal in lower level games. What would have made a big difference though would have been the realisation early on we couldn't clear fallout in AI lands without being at war.

Well I had fun playing this even if we were incomplete at the end and if there is anymore SGOTM's would be happy to play again. Thats if you'd have me after being nuked. :)

As for Civ V. I've only managed to play a few turns so still yet to make my mind. Still got the GOTms for IV if I don't like it.

woohoo! no spoon! Sleepless, man don't worry about the oversight, the game rules were crazy and we were hampered by an assumption that the AI would be halfway decent at fallout cleanup.

@McArine, I did, and I agree with his assessment. I haven't touched CIV V in months. I'll be sticking with CIV 4:BTS.

I learned quite a bit this game, and I think my micro improved thanks to guidance from the team, so although this wasn't the outcome we hoped for, let's just buckle down and "don't call it a comeback cause we were already here" next game

I think we planned something like a conquest game, but when we got to Mao, we saw he had too strong a defending army for us... and due to the snaky continent it was difficult to reach the other leaders.

Maybe we built too many Wonders, and should have invested those hammers in a stronger army......

Had we made a legitimate submission, we would have won the wooden spoon, as that is allocated on lowest score, and not on latest finish date.

I haven't awarded any laurels or spoons yet. I'm waiting for a final agreement on the results from Erkon.

I haven't awarded any laurels or spoons yet. I'm waiting for a final agreement on the results from Erkon.

I think Ozbenno and McArine have won 4 wooden spoons each already... maybe they can still add to that collection this time...... :mischief:

I've been looking at some of the other teams' threads. Plastic Ducks put in an awesome display, given that their team consists of just 2 active players. :eek:

Also, Plastic Ducks kindly prepared this analysis of the gameplay of all teams... the post is from mid-December, as they were already finished their game by then, but it still gives some very useful insights and comparisons......

Also of note is that the top 2 teams in the game, between them, built just ONE Cottage in the whole game - so it seems that a Cottage economy is not always the best approach after all...

Hehe did say I don't build many cottages either. Sometimes in the capital with lots of rivers but generally farms/mines/worshops etc. Not that I play single player much atm. Only managed about 10 turns in BOTM37 and that was on epic. :)

Top Bottom