[BTS] SGOTM 25 Lurker Thread

Deckhand

Procrastination at its finest
GOTM Staff
This thread is for people who are not playing SGOTM 25. If you are an active player, reading this thread will get you disqualified!

Hint for lurkers: Be careful when quoting players. Some software tools alarm players when they are quoted and link them to the thread. This will make them open this thread, which they are not supposed to read. If you quote them, make sure you remove the player number from the opening tag of the quote. That will avoid the problem.

OK, welcome lurkers. Tell us what you think. Please don't post anything that points at something no team has yet seen. Basically: No spoilers.

Actually one more choice than intended.
Spoiler Religions :
sossos deserves all credit for the map
I'm impressed with number of choices the teams have.
I added religions to reduce impact of random assignment. London was supposed to be Christianity Holy City. Somehow no Holy City was identified for Christianity.
So, teams have an additional option with initial Great Prophet: bulb Theology to have Christianity Holy City. I like that teams have another option/choice.
I don't like that RNG of whatever AI gets Theology first could impact the game.

Many thanks for the thread, DH!

BTW, I am really impressed by the work done by Fried-berg in XT. They might have some chances in the run... I'm not following many of the threads in the forum, so I am quite surprised - and woed - by her/his level of thinking, planning and doing, not far from that of Fippy, WT and LC, I'd dare - very unhumbly - to say. Could he have acted under a different login in earlier times, I wonder!?

Also, many thanks to SOSSOS and all the others who made it possible for us, lurkers, to enjoy this game, especially now, that it seams not so much just an HS-FR rivalry (please, get me correctly: no offence meant to the other teams/players, nothing personal, just statistics, and, actually, many thanks to all other players - outside the HS/FR teams - for making this game happen and for your time and effort invested in this game!)

Briefly looked at some threads, and I see Home Slices figured out era modifiers also affect wonder costs for the AIs. I remember looking into this a good while ago, and came to the same conclusion. There was also a query at some point by Seraiel due to the AIs building wonders quicker than expected, which was due to the same thing. Especially in the later eras of the game, this can kick you in the nuts, as it has a pretty huge effect.

In post https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/sgotm-25-home-slices.626796/page-23#post-15017672 point 1, multiple other times that day, and at least for another 2 weeks, they speak of "Manly chariots". Is this a certain promotion scheme, a method of using chariots, or a descriptor of some other sort? It appears from the discussion that the manly version of chariots are comparable in some way to horse archers.
I am curious about the drawbacks of having manly chariots, or why one would not make all chariots manly. Can there be other types of manly units, is there a technical or practical limit to the number of manly units on a map or on a team? Are manly units better or worse at working together in a stack? Is manliness an actual increase in power, or simply perceived (by the AI or player) increase in power? Does it impact the demographic screen, the score, or is manliness mostly hidden until you get close enough to see it? Do manly units work better near cities or in the wilderness? Do different players have varying opinions on the amount of manliness desired, or having manliness at all?
I apologize if these questions are naive or beginner level, I couldn't find a thread here describing manliness in civ.

Last edited:
In https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/sgotm-25-home-slices.626796/page-62#post-15065935, the first mention of Korea is made. This is on March 8th. As near as I can tell, Japan doesn't liberate Korea until 475BC, which is played 3.5 days later and reported in post https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/sgotm-25-home-slices.626796/page-69#post-15069706.
My question is, how can someone know what civ or leader will be created by a rival AI liberating a colony before it happens? Is there a game mechanic, is there an affinity for some leaders to have greater likelihood to be created by certain AI than others? Can test games predict the leader liberated with perfect accuracy even when most tiles are still fogged and therefore inaccurate?
Or did I simply miss that the turn was played days before the turn report was posted?

My question is, how can someone know what civ or leader will be created by a rival AI liberating a colony before it happens? Is there a game mechanic, is there an affinity for some leaders to have greater likelihood to be created by certain AI than others?
Yes, there is such a mechanic. Don't think it's set for all civs, but for some it is.

At http://gotm.civfanatics.net/submit/civ4sgotm_submission_list.php?game=50025&all_0=&format=post_list, it shows 'Player Posts' and 'Visitor Posts'. How are visitor posts calculated? Or player posts for that matter? Is that table just an artifact of an old calculation method but no longer accurate? If it is accurate, I can't figure out how to get it to add up.
Thanks for raising this. I did update that script to deal with the change to the new forums platform, but I haven't looked at it since then. I'll check it and get back to you.

UPDATE:

Checked it out. There was an error in the script, so it wasn't checking all the pages in each team thread. I've corrected that, and I've also checked the player names. One or two were incorrectly spelled in the database, and their posts were being counted as Visitors.

Last edited:
On February 17th in post 772, LowtherCastle made this speculation:

I think he had to make a barb city with a stack of units that garrison. But how does he stop the barbs from killing them off? Maybe he put a palace in that city. Gyathaar gave the barbs a palace once.

Is it correct?

Back on February 1st in post 462 of the Home Slices thread, Kaitzilla made this speculation:

I bet the barbs don't even have Sailing yet to help the human players even more.

Is it correct?

Barbs had All Ancient Techs plus Feudalism in the starting saves

I think he had to make a barb city with a stack of units that garrison. But how does he stop the barbs from killing them off? Maybe he put a palace in that city. Gyathaar gave the barbs a palace once.

Is it correct?

The barbs started with one city next to Washington. It was defended by a single Longbow, and no Palace.

While I admire the skill of players and teams in using every tool at their disposal, the whole "gift cities to an AI and then immediately DoW and recapture them while they're undefended in order to get war success and make the AI capitulate" business has always struck me as exploitative. Gifting, running EP culture missions, and recapturing also induces my disdain. I would be in favor of an xOTM rule that you can't ever capture gifted cities (from the AI they were gifted to). And I'd like a pony and to be young again.

they speak of "Manly chariots"
It was just a sarcastic name for notoriously weak chariots that were working just fine with air support. So I suppose it was the bomber that made our chariots 'manly'. Or perhaps it referred to how it's the manly thing to do for us as players... to stick with chariots instead of taking the easy way out with overpowered Horse Archers.

Is it correct?
No, I don't think so.. I believe it turned out it was the advanced state of all the players in the game. Barb units don't spawn after all players are in the (Renaissance or whatever it is) Era. That was a mystifier for a long time but I should have figured it out much sooner. I just left that fact out of my reasoning.

Top Bottom