SGOTM2 Germany - Team scout

Okay - I feel silly again. Time for me to shut up and take this team to a glorious victory or wooden spoon.

Mistfit said:
So which one will France honor (or honour for tal's sake) the one with us or the one with Russia? This should indeed be an interesting turn set.
That's why Tal is sending the "Special Operations Forces" to the border disguised as workers. The AI has a fetish about capturing workers... my plan is to declare war, sit back, and let Cathy take a worker.... triggering the MPP and causing France to declare war on Russia.

At least, that's Plan A. Since France will probably be the other UN candidate, I will only wait one turn for this.

What I haven't decided is whether or not to let Cathy get the UN good and complete, since she might get that first opportunity to call a UN vote...

scoutsout said:
What I haven't decided is whether or not to let Cathy get the UN good and complete, since she might get that first opportunity to call a UN vote...

:eek: I hope this is a joke, or misleadingly worded? We have to let Cathy finish the UN, and take the risk (zero, if we've done things properly) of her calling a vote; there isn't another option here. :eek:

EDIT: On reflection, I suppose you were ruminating on the timing of our war with Russia. I think we should strongly incline towards letting Cathy finish the UN before we declare, just to keep things simple and straightforward; but if you feel there's any danger of Russia's winning a UN vote held in peacetime, it's your call entirely.

Excellent set-up round, Tallanas. :goodjob:

Another book to read, after I've been away from the thread for less than a day. :D As a couple of you have said, it's great that we have this level of communication.

EDIT: Superb doctored screenshot, Mistfit. :lol::D:lol:

Northern Pike said:
:eek: I hope this is a joke, or misleadingly worded? We have to let Cathy finish the UN, and take the risk (zero, if we've done things properly) of her calling a vote; there isn't another option here. :eek:
:mischief:

EDIT: Superb doctored screenshot, Mistfit. :lol::D:lol:
It "found it's way" into the maintenance thread... or maybe it was the discussion thread... :mischief:

In-flight check

1565 AD

I want 20-turn deals going with every civ but Russia.

Renew Wines with Japan, up the ante to include Gems to us. We give coal, spices, Ivory, Incense, and Rocketry.

It would seem our rep with Ghandi is damaged after all. He will offer us 250g+WM for Saltpeter, but not 1gpt. I offer him 1gpt for 1g, and gift him the stupid salt. Gift Rocketry to Ghandi.

Gift Rocketry to Mao. Trade spices for 1gpt+WM

We then negotiate a Right-of-Passage with France.

This is beautiful if it works. Task for Yatusk disembarks S-SE of Poitiers. Task force Riga disembarks near York.

Put a few workers along the border, and a Modern Armor in each border city for good measure.

Some worker moves... here we go.

IBT - doesn't matter. We build a bunch of stuff. WLTKD kicks off all over the place because I just jacked the lux tax.

1570 AD

Investigate Cologne. UN Due Next Turn. (Just checking...)

Task force Riga is now in position, in neutral territory. Task force Yatusk is in position.

Press <Enter>

IBT - the French request an audience. World Maps? Why not. We build a bunch of stuff...

The "Russian" city of Cologne completes the United Nations. :devil2:

No UN vote.

I'm trying to remember if demanding a city is a rep hit or an attitude hit. Doesn't matter, we are now at war with Mother Russia.

IBT - The war is initiated by a Russian bomber, who is promptly shot down by our Luftwaffe.

France declares war on Russia, and then Russia attacks France....

Incredibly, Russian tanks kill 2 of our Modern Armor.... and capture some of our workers! (Oh Noo!!!)

Turn 2 (1580)

Time for the German War Machine to come to life. I wake our Modern... Holy crap. I haven't had a stack like this since I played Chieftain! :crazyeye:

****Battle for Cologne*****
1st MA retreats, 2nd kills infantry flawlessly. Blitzes again, kills infantry, Promotes. 3rd MA kills infantry flawlessly, promotes, blitzes conscript infantry, and retreats. We take the city, and I forget to do a screencap.

Sorry team.

This is interesting. Every single one of those citizens is Russian. How is this possible?

Take the elite Modern armor and go after a tank near Mistburg.

How appropriate and symbolic. Our first Military Great Leader is born at Mistburg.

What to do? Rush a wonder? Pooh, feh. I make an army, load that sucker with Panzers, and go after Kiev.

Unbelievable. A single russian tank kills our Panzer Army. What a pisser.
That's okay, a few MA later, and the city is ours.

A few more MAs later, and we capture Moscow. This time I do remember a screenie.

Next we go after Minsk. A modern armor finally promotes on its first round of combat, blitzes the Cossack in Minsk. He captures Minsk, but fails his promotion board.

It takes 6 Modern Armor to take Tblisi, but they had to cross more terrain. I disband 2 captured artillery pieces for an instant Library.

It takes only 2 Modern Armor to kill an infantry and Cossack defending Smolensk, which opens up the border a bit. I can now reach Odessa with the main force.

Three Modern Armor later, Odessa is ours. Time to turn the flanks.

Novgorod falls after 3 Modern Armor assault it.

Coventry falls next, though it takes a half dozen MA to do the job.

I lose 4 MA at Sverdlosk before I realize I'm crossing a river. Approach from a different angle and dispatch the defenders there. I swear I think it took a dozen MA to take that city.

4 or 5 Modern Armors later, Sevastopol falls.

5 Modern Armor later, St. Petersburg falls.

A few MA later, Yatusk falls.

The Russian Capitol is now located at Riga. Our first Modern Armor in there almost runs over a Chinese Rifleman. What is HE doing there?

I take the Elite knight and rail him all the way back to a longbow I saw.

Aw dangit. The Modern Armor can't cross the jungle at Krasnoyarsk. This will be a 2-turn war.

This is strange... I cannot seem to find any Russian combat units around. Make that ground combat units. I do find a destroyer to sink.

Scroll through our new holdings, putting Russian cities on a diet. Form a perimeter around Cologne, and hit the stupid button that finishes a turn.

IBT - A Russian Destroyer sinks one of ours in a last act of defiance. The French Navy heads towards the other continent, and a bunch of French tanks show up outside Krasnoyarsk. I just had a really evil thought... I could get a Military Alliance with France vs. Russia, let her kill the last city, and let her take the rep hit. Knowing my luck, she'd let the thing linger on. We get a palace expansion.

Time to finish this.

Turn 3 (1585)

I finish the Russians in a last Modern Armor Assault.

Dial up Tokugawa, and give him Ecology and 100g.
Same deal for Ghandi and Mao.
Throw in Iron and Rubber for Mao.
Throw in a couple of lux for Ghandi.

Fission to Ghandi
Fission to Mao

Nobody is Gracious anymore...

I hit the "go" button.

IBT - I start some Mass Transit systems. We get a palace expansion.

Turn 4 (1590)

Clean some pollution, disband some units, Sign RoP with the planet. Mao and Ghandi are now Gracious.

Tempted to give Tokugawa Synthetic Fibers... but if he trades it to China, and China trades it to France...

I hit the "GO" button.

IBT - Comptuters come in, set queue to... Stealth. Because I've never actually researched it. :p

We build a bunch of stuff, and get a palace expansion.

Turn 5 (1595)

Dangit. How long do I have to hold the UN?

Dial up the world and give 'em Computers. Except Mao. I take Silks in trade.

Tired of this, I just hit "GO".

IBT - China starts SETI

Turn 6 (1600)

I upgrade all of our Infantry to Mech in one fell swoop. Because I can.

IBT - a rather beat up version of the French navy comes home...

Turn 7 (1605)

MapStat tells me that there are still 3 recently captured Russian cities that still aren't too happy about having been recently captured...

Please, just let this pollution fest end..

I start SETI in Berlin, because I can.

Gift Mao some Ivory, clean some pollution, Press "GO".

IBT - we get some border expansions in our newly acquired Russian Holdings... DANGIT when will this UN vote come?!?!!?

Turn 8 (1610)

I'm just about ready to host WWIII...

Press "GO"

IBT - China and Japan sign a Military Alliance against France.

We build some more stuff, WLTKD celebrated in Cologne

This is stupid. A French (captured Japanese) town attempts to revolt.

No thanks, we got our oil, and I don't need any more stupid cities building stuff.

Turn 9 (1615)

I'm not gonna be happy if I get Stealth before the UN vote.

IBT - I'm really getting sick of watching French tanks patrol.

Turn 10 (1620) I'm going to give this until the 10th Anniversary of Capturing the UN, and then I'm going Spaceship...

IBT - :sleep:

Turn 11 (1625) Okay Mad-Bax, what do I have to pay you to end this madness?

IBT - aside from the French destroyers returning home, our people want to build the Iron Works. Whoopee.

Finally! The Moment of Truth!

Oh Noo! I fumble the move and vote for Joanie....

I'm guessing that's a joke. :D

Cologne's citizens all turned Russian because that's what happens when a city is given away, or even ceded in a peace treaty.

It's just a point of technique--I'm not suggesting you should actually have done this--but we could have reached Krasnoyarsk on the first turn of the war by positioning a settler between Vladivostok and the roaded jungle/spices tile outside Krasnoyarsk, abandoning Vladivostok, and founding a city with the settler, thus gaining control of the roaded tile.

Oh that would be cruel if I let you guys believe that into tomorrow...

...just kidding team.

Watching the replay thing...good God this is taking longer than the UN vote...at least the war with Russia part went quickly...

Firaxis score is 4058

We are Bismark the not-too-shabby.

From the server:

Reference number: 367
Game: SGOTM 2
Your team: scout
Your name: scoutsout
Date submitted: 2004-07-06
Software Version: Civ 1.29f
Game date: 1630 AD
Player race: Germany
Firaxis score: 4058
Jason score: 6306
Time played: Not available
Game status: Diplomatic Victory for Germany
Submitted save: scout_SG002_AD1630_endgame.SAV
Renamed file: scout_SG002_AD1630_01.SAV

I believe this gives us the privilege of surfing the other teams' threads, and offereing congratulations where warranted. I am looking forward to surfing one particular thread...

And judging by the Jason scores, it appears we're in the hunt for at least one "award".

Blame it on poor leadership if we get the Wooden Spoon. That was the agreement we had at the start.

Seriously, this has been a heckuva lot of fun, guys. OOH! Speaking of fun... I almost forgot: > > The Pre-Slugfest Save < <

:hatsoff: :beer: [party] :banana: [party] :beer: :hatsoff:

A fine conclusion to a fine game.

I have no idea where we'll place relative to the other teams pursuing this variant, but we can be very satisfied with the daring and ingenuity of Mistfit's Cologne gambit, and with the accuracy of our play. :goodjob: :rockon: :goodjob:

Thanks to Scout for his work as team leader, and to Mad-bax and Karasu for their heroic service as moderators. [There'd be a "Thank you" smiley here, but it put me over the limit for images in a post.]

I just wish you would stop going away on trips and play the games from the beginning NP. You appear to have your priorities a little muddled IMO. ;)

mad-bax said:
I just wish you would stop going away on trips and play the games from the beginning NP. You appear to have your priorities a little muddled IMO. ;)
Ahem. And where were YOU while we were all in mid-game, and Karasu was kind enough to bring NP into this game? Hmmm? Was it sunny and warm where you were, MB?

Edit: :p

Edit2: Crostposted with someone...OH! AlanH!

:beer: Fantastic!! :beer:

Well done, Scout and the rest of the team! :thumbsup:

How appropriate that it was Scout who got to finish everything off - our very own Great Leader ;)

Personally I think that even if we don't win, we deserve a pat on the back for neatness. Somehow, the gifting of Cologne, and all the subsequent set-up and then re-capture went eerily smoothly!! :wow:

And now for the (only semi-ironic) Awards Ceremony.

1. 'Most Devious Masterplan since the Trojan Horse' Award goes to...

[dance] MISTFIT!! [dance]

2. 'Most Noble and Uncomplaining Inheritance of a SoD' Award goes to...

[party] SCOUTSOUT!! [party]

3. The 'Scarlet Pimpernel Award for Most Sudden Disappearances' goes to...

:ninja: GENGIS KHAN!! :ninja: Hope you're well, mate!

4. The 'Wayne Rooney Award for Best Player from the Bench' Award goes to...

:beer: NORTHERN PIKE!! :beer:

Well done again, guys, I had a blast playing this game with you. I hope we meet up again in some future SGoTM :salute:

Tal

FWIW I think the masterplan could have been improved upon, cunning as it was.

If you had set up Cologne earlier and allowed them to pre-build another wonder in it, then you could have completed that wonder after gifting them fission allowing the cascade.

Could go a bit wrong though as the X team found out.

Neither idea is mine I hasten to add - though I'd love to take the credit.

Yes, a pre-build in Cologne would have been quicker, true...

But that's hindsight for you. I have been having a quick peek at the other threads by the way, and am astonished at how quickly some teams won the variant. 1415??? :wow:

Quite how they managed to get to the UN so fast, I don't know, and I haven't really the time to trawl through 30 pages of thread... I waste enough time trawling this one ;)

I guess we will all have to wave that wooden spoon (which we won by a MILE, by the way!) with pride!

Edit - if anyone likes the idea of continuing this team into SGoTM3, I'd be delighted to do so, I think the communication and fun aspects have been awesome!

I might suggest a change of team name to Team Spoon, though ;)

No offense, Scout :lol:

Top Bottom