Shogun 2

You also had a horrible rome clone, but I can't remember the name.

Shogun 2 total war will be horribly bugged upon release and the AI will be terrible. Then again, this much should be obvious to anyone familiar with the series (no matter how much you warn people about this, there will be angry threads about the AI/bugs). As for myself, I am in no hurry to buy it (matter of fact, I still haven't even played ETW). TW games are like a fine wine: they get better as they get older (bugs get fixed and mods are created)

So how fixed is ETW? AFAIK even M2TW isn't fully fixed (there's balance issues left by the shield bug fix, though I haven't played vanilla in a long time). Still, I am in no hurry to buy ETW. M2TW is just reaching a mature age (third age total war mod is going to get custom settlements any day now). I'll propably wait until I can pick up ETW gold edition for 10€. As for Shogun, if they actually manage to release it bug free and with a good AI (I highly doubt it), I might consider picking it up right away

ETW isn't fixed. Guess what terms of peace France was asking for in this screenshot:

Spoiler :

And that's not even the worst problem at the moment. Nations still suicide their armies in wars that they declared with no hopes of winning and have bugged peace-making AI.

Napoleon, on the other hand, I would describe as being "acceptable". The AI is noticeably improved but the game isn't challenging at all until you play on VH/VH, which is actually a decent challenge, but only because France can literally produce one stack a turn and you have to constantly fight the buggers off as Austria and Prussia. (Russia and Britain still have it quite easy on VH/VH. France is somewhere between those two groupings.)

I disagree. Vanilla Medieval II is pretty good. So is Rome, although some factions start getting tediously powerful on the harder difficulties. Napoleon is acceptable but Empire is still just completely worthless as a game.

I love a good Carthage game on any difficulty level in Rome Vanilla!

Carthage is great. The problem is any faction that dabbles in the middle east, because Egypt can make a dozen bloody stacks every round.

The Egyptians are so easy to beat with the Seleucid phalanx, but the AI just doesn't get that.

It's not hard to kill Egyptian stacks, but you can't auto-resolve battles against full stacks in R:TW without catastrophic fail, which means you have to fight the same battle over and over again before you can capture your first province.

Empire is still just completely worthless as a game.

I haven't really had any issues that weren't present in other games, the diplomacy was just as awful in Rome and Medieval 2.

And besides that, there still isn't any other game in a total-war style or anything similar to it set in the 1700s that is anywhere as good.

The diplomacy is bad in R:TW, but the point of that game is to steamroll Europe, not be a crafty politician. The AI is very good in Medieval II, in my opinion.

It's not just the diplomacy in Empire, it's the battle AI -- if you can call it that. I actually think that the AI was just coded to march everything into a waypoint, and that's it, because no matter the relative size of the armies, how much artillery I have, the terrain or anything the AI just marches its units down a corridor into death.

The AI is very good in Medieval II, in my opinion.

I assume you mean very good compared to other TW games.

I believe CA has most, if not all, of the actual glitches and crashes ironed out but IMO at least M2TW 1.5 feels somewhat unfinished, possibly due to the horrible AI. It's just that whenever I play vanilla M2TW I feel the game could have been so much more. There is this one mod that supposedly improves the AI but installing it is such a hassle.

The diplomacy is bad in R:TW, but the point of that game is to steamroll Europe, not be a crafty politician. The AI is very good in Medieval II, in my opinion.

It's not just the diplomacy in Empire, it's the battle AI -- if you can call it that. I actually think that the AI was just coded to march everything into a waypoint, and that's it, because no matter the relative size of the armies, how much artillery I have, the terrain or anything the AI just marches its units down a corridor into death.
I recall it doing exactly the same in Rome and M2 (though with an added shuffling its units around dance in M2 sometimes as it suffered from a massive brain fart).

Cossacks II.
/facepalms

Cossacks is an entirely different game.

Cossacks II is similar to Medieval I in that it has a main campaign map with large provinces and you fight battles on ground level.

So Lord of the Rings Battle for Middle-Earth is also comparable with a total war game, or the space conquest in Star wars Battlefront?

Cossacks II is similar to Medieval I in that it has a main campaign map with large provinces and you fight battles on ground level.

This seems different from the Cossacks games I have then, but tell me, is it like the campaign 'maps' they have in Age of Empires 2?

Top Bottom