Sinking 357 ships

hellboy909

Chieftain
So I'm trying for this achievement as England and I have a couple questions:

1) Do I have to finish the game for the sinkings to count?

2) What's the best way to promote ranged units if you want them to sink ships?

3) Do I have to sink said ships with naval units, or do land units and cities count?

4) Does sinking an embarked unit count?

You guys are great, thanks in advance.

1) Do I have to finish the game for the sinkings to count?
No. If you have logging activated you can monitor your progress in the achievements_debug.log although it only updates when civ first loads.

I suggest prioritizing Logistics for the double-shot and movement after attack. For boats I went through Targeting I-III first for naval strength and for planes I think I went through Siege I-II first for no good reason. Note that a good way to farm XP when you don't have actual enemy boats to sink is to hit workers/settlers along the coast since they are capped at 4 damage and don't shoot back.

3) Do I have to sink said ships with naval units, or do land units and cities count?
You do not have to use boats yourself. I used a combination of boats and bombers. I didn't ever try land units or cities myself but I would expect at least land units to work.

4) Does sinking an embarked unit count?
No it doesn't. :( However workboats do count if you bombard them instead of "ramming" them. (use 'B' key when in range instead of right click.)

Also, standard achievement caveats apply: don't use mods and don't run the tuner as both (usually) disable achievements.

Accuracy (+% in open terrain) gives you domain bonus against sea units for your ranged land units. Of course range and logistics will help considerably as well.

Leave a few empty Barb Camps and park your Ships outside them and wait for Barb ships to spawn. :)

Leave a few empty Barb Camps and park your Ships outside them and wait for Barb ships to spawn. :)

That, unfortunately, only gives you 2 promotions.

Do barb promotions stack with barracks/armory promotions? i.e if I get 3 promotions from buildings and wonders can I still get promotions from barbarians?

I've also found it helpful to declare war against a coastal City State and rack up experience bombarding their city. It's even better if you don't share a landmass with them since they won't be able to try and counterattack you. The only moderate danger they pose is later in the game when they can pump out Cruise Missiles. Before then you just have to rotate your ships out so they can recover from the city-shot damage (which stops being a problem after you hit the +1 range promotion).

Do barb promotions stack with barracks/armory promotions? i.e if I get 3 promotions from buildings and wonders can I still get promotions from barbarians?

No. If you come out of the gate with 30 or more exp (what you will have from barracks/armory), barbs wont give exp.

My point about Barbs is that they will keep spamming ships for you to easily sink.

I think this achievement, more than any of the others, is based entirely on grinding the kills out. I'd presume Archipelago maps would be helpful, as would setting the enemy civs to the Ottomans or Elizabeth, so they are more likely to build ships.

No. If you have logging activated you can monitor your progress in the achievements_debug.log although it only updates when civ first loads.
Hmm...I just went and found that file, but I notice that it shows zero of 120 achievements unlocked (and it's not just the total line, the word "unlocked" doesn't appear anywhere else in the file). I don't have very many achievements unlocked, because I usually play offline, but I have at least a dozen. As it happens my most recent game was online and was my first victory (and first game) with Rome, and my first on a Duel map, so I would have expected to unlock an achievement or two. Am I missing something about the log?

Hmm...I just went and found that file, but I notice that it shows zero of 120 achievements unlocked (and it's not just the total line, the word "unlocked" doesn't appear anywhere else in the file). I don't have very many achievements unlocked, because I usually play offline, but I have at least a dozen. As it happens my most recent game was online and was my first victory (and first game) with Rome, and my first on a Duel map, so I would have expected to unlock an achievement or two. Am I missing something about the log?

If you played your last session online but the previous session had been offline, then the file probably won't show any progress because it only updates when Civ starts. Try setting yourself to online, then firing up Civ and quitting as soon as the menu comes up; that should give you an up-to-date log.

Accuracy (+% in open terrain) gives you domain bonus against sea units for your ranged land units. Of course range and logistics will help considerably as well.

OOh, thanks. This was one of the questions I forgot to ask. Good to know!

And all good info, thanks again!

How do you activate logging?

Load a game where you are completely dominant. Build tons of ships and gift them to city states. Go to war.

I had over 250 kills on the seas in a mid-level game. (King?) Archipelago of course. Huge navy and stealth with 20 range was ridiculous. Just played musical, repeating wars at the end to string things out. Been awhile since the game. Advance start (Renn?) for some commerce policies and later went for the one to increase resources. (Autocracy branch?)

Edit: The range of planes is mainly insane.

This achievement will be much easier in 1.0.1.135. Your sea targets now defend at -60% of their listed strength, so get that first shot...

Top Bottom